Author Topic: SpaceX Static and Flying Rocket Models  (Read 1017 times)

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 139
SpaceX Static and Flying Rocket Models
« on: 11/22/2017 01:30 PM »
There is a picture on a specific flight related thread and I thought it worthy of it's own topic. (since it is quite off-topic for where it currently is.)

Estes/Quest/Aerotech (and other flying), Lego and other static models of SpaceX products.*

There was a photo of some models that seemed to indicate a different color scheme for Block 5. It's not a complete pic and I didn't know if anyone had extrpolated from the incomplete data what the Block 5 might look like.

*Maybe Boring products, too. :-)

Offline whitelancer64

Re: SpaceX Static and Flying Rocket Models
« Reply #1 on: 11/22/2017 03:23 PM »
What image(s) are you referring to?
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Online cppetrie

• Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: 11/22/2017 04:15 PM »
What image(s) are you referring to?

This guy makes some sweet models.

Tweet from Oli Braun:
Very honored to have had the opportunity to make these for @IridiumBoss I hope these 4 will be happy at their new home :)

Online cppetrie

« Reply #3 on: 11/22/2017 04:23 PM »

There was a photo of some models that seemed to indicate a different color scheme for Block 5. It's not a complete pic and I didn't know if anyone had extrpolated from the incomplete data what the Block 5 might look like.

The suspected block 5 is hiding behind the third Iridium rocket with only a sliver showing. The color changes were revealed in L2. I’d not previously seen them discussed publicly. Check the interstage and legs. There is also a model of a Dragon 2 to the left and I suspect a Dragon also on top of the hiding block 5 booster as it appears there is a bit of winglet from the trunk also peaking out.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2727
  • Likes Given: 1729
« Reply #4 on: 11/22/2017 05:25 PM »

The suspected block 5 is hiding behind the third Iridium rocket with only a sliver showing. The color changes were revealed in L2. I’d not previously seen them discussed publicly. Check the interstage and legs. There is also a model of a Dragon 2 to the left and I suspect a Dragon also on top of the hiding block 5 booster as it appears there is a bit of winglet from the trunk also peaking out.

So the interstage and legs are black now for block 5? That seems odd... SpaceX has had a habit of showing renderings with black legs/interstages, but they have always been white on actual flying hardware.
« Last Edit: 11/22/2017 05:31 PM by Lars-J »

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #5 on: 11/22/2017 06:12 PM »
Well we only have renderings of block 5 for now, so perhaps that's why it looks like that (all renderings have black legs) ...but I don't read everything that pops up on L2

Online cppetrie

« Reply #6 on: 11/22/2017 06:44 PM »
Well we only have renderings of block 5 for now, so perhaps that's why it looks like that (all renderings have black legs) ...but I don't read everything that pops up on L2
See this post.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43994.msg1748151#msg1748151

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #7 on: 11/22/2017 07:03 PM »
Thanks, I tried the search function. It didn't function well enough.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 3045
  • Likes Given: 1013
« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2017 09:59 AM »
More from Oli:

First 1/144 scale BFR prototype model is done! F9 to scale. @elonmusk @SpaceX

https://twitter.com/oli_braun/status/940171345115144192

Tags: