Author Topic: Fire Across the Desert  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 2832
  • Likes Given: 430
Fire Across the Desert
« on: 11/10/2017 06:29 AM »
The Australian Department of Defence, Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG) has made the book "Fire Across The Desert 1946-1980" by Peter Morton as a free download! This is an encyclopedic book on the history of Woomera and the Anglo-Australia Joint project. Link below

https://www.dst.defence.gov.au/publication/fire-across-the-desert
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Re: Fire Across the Desert
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2017 06:34 AM »
Here's the launch of WRESAT, which celebrates its 50th anniversary on 29 November. Below that is the full film.

Anyone know what the heater/cooler drop tank that falls off the Redstone before launch is for?

« Last Edit: 11/10/2017 06:36 AM by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2017 06:49 AM »
Here's a video from the South Australian State Library that was projected onto the front of their building. There is some footage there of Sparta being painted white for launch.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2017 06:57 AM »
The recovered Sparta is now mostly green again.  Whether this is due to reentry or 50 plus years of weathering I am not sure. The debris is contained in a cage at the Woomera rocket park.
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3548
  • Likes Given: 607
« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2017 03:23 PM »
Anyone know what the heater/cooler drop tank that falls off the Redstone before launch is for?
My recollection is that it is cooling for the guidance section.  Dry ice or something was used to provide the cooling, I think. 

- Ed Kyle

Online pargoo

• Lifelong space fan
  • Australia
    • Buran - wait, the Russians had a Space Shuttle?
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 11/11/2017 10:15 PM »
    Having the original book in hard-cover, I can say they've done a really nice job of converting it to pdf.  Now, if only someone would make the effort to release all the launch pics for Europa and SPARTA in hi-res :/

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #6 on: 11/13/2017 02:51 AM »
Two recent books that may be of interest.

Australia in Space by Kerrie Dougherty
Comprehensive history of Australia's involvement in space. Also available as download.
http://atfpress.com/product/space-in-australia/

Australis OSCAR 5 by Owen Mace
Story of Australia's second satellite to go into space in 1970. Also available as download and hardback.
http://atfpress.com/product/australis-oscar-5-paperback/

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #7 on: 11/13/2017 02:52 AM »
Now, if only someone would make the effort to release all the launch pics for Europa and SPARTA in hi-res :/

The National Archive of Australia has some photos. You can get them if you're willing to sell a kidney. :-(

Online pargoo

• Lifelong space fan
  • Australia
    • Buran - wait, the Russians had a Space Shuttle?
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: 11/13/2017 04:41 AM »
  I once tried to tee up a visit to Adelaide to pursue those pics.  Got stonewalled at every turn.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #9 on: 11/13/2017 10:56 AM »
  I once tried to tee up a visit to Adelaide to pursue those pics.  Got stonewalled at every turn.

did you try the national library and national archives in canberra.that would be more promising than adelaide
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 39
« Last Edit: 11/13/2017 10:20 PM by pippin »

Tags: