Author Topic: Anti SpaceX Campaign?  (Read 4676 times)

Online Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 497
  • Likes Given: 1047
Re: Anti SpaceX Campaign?
« Reply #20 on: 11/02/2017 01:35 PM »
Like I said.  I am conservative and come from a conservative family that doesn't believe the government should spend money on various things (because of the national debt).  I have to correct them and tell them SpaceX wasn't the only company getting government money in space related activities. They actually have gotten less money for things such as commercial crew vs Boeing.  Anyway, anyone doing business space related gets some money, usually matching, for various developments.  It is just SpaceX has used their money wisely, and has actually accomplished things with their money. 

Musk has also gotten flack from Wall Street investors.  From Tesla not making enough profit, to SpaceX getting money, to Solar City getting the benefit of tax credits for solar panel or solar shingle installation. 

The point of this tread is to show how Musk is being singled out while others such as Boeing, Aerojet, Orbital, and others are not singled out with regards to getting government money to help with development of products and services the government wants to use.  I don't like it anymore than anyone else.  He just happens to be successful while Solyndra and others have failed.

Very well said.  The Space Launch Market in the US is heavily influenced by the government because the government does the majority of spending for the market.  This is slowly changing but as of right now the US government is the dominant player in this market.  You then pair this with the fact that assured access to space is a matter of National Security for the US you get a hybrid market between Public/Private funding.  It is in the best interest of the US government to "subsidize" space launch.  Right now the fight is over the level of subsidizing and control by the US government that is required without jeopardizing national security. 

In my opinion, it is in the best interest of the US government to give subsidized funding to ULA to help them develop Vulcan.  The US government cannot afford at this time to hand-over access to Space to the free market.  There is to many unknowns to trust that private funding will make sure that all government launch needs are meet. 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 349
  • Likes Given: 214
« Reply #21 on: 11/02/2017 07:05 PM »
I would agree, give ULA some money to speed up development of Vulcan/ACES, and give SpaceX money for the Raptor and BFR/BFS.  IF Blue Origin would speed things up on the BE-4 and New Glenn, maybe give them a little.  Maybe even Aerojet to develop a reusable AR-1.  Five or six AR-1's on new boosters for SLS and make them landable using SpaceX technology would give SLS a huge shot in the arm at a lower cost. 

Lots of things could be done with a combination of public/private funding.  I think total government funding of something can be drawn out and stretched over time and cost way too much.  If the contractors had to put up half or some of their money, they would cut costs and get it done faster.  Kind of like COTS.  SpaceX used the money wisely and got F9 kickstarted.  Same with Dragon.  I think COTS was a wise use of money, lowered costs, and got results.  Maybe not as quickly as hoped but it did get things done.  Reasonable time restraints should also be put on the money awarded kind of like COTS milestones.   

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6608
  • Likes Given: 4441
« Reply #22 on: 11/02/2017 07:21 PM »
guys, before you post, think about whether your post is general politics or not. Not deleting any posts but some are sailing very close to that line if not over.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY