Author Topic: Jupiter II, carry the 1  (Read 627 times)

Offline Xabache

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Jupiter II, carry the 1
« on: 10/28/2017 02:49 AM »
Europa's composition and position make it the most valuable long term destination for mankind, if only to make more giant sea monster movies. Having just read wikipedia claiming it has nearly 3 times as much water as Earth, running the numbers myself. The answer I seek to my question is, did someone forget to calculate for approximately 1/5th the gravity? Perhaps it has 3 times the volume of Earth given its 62mi deep seas and very low gravity, but surely less total molecules than us, which is all that really matters. Did I miss calculate, or did they misportray what we'll find when we get there?

"This leads to a volume of Europa's oceans of 3 1018 m3, between two or three times the volume of Earth's oceans"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_%28moon%29#Subsurface_ocean

Online brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Jupiter II, carry the 1
« Reply #1 on: 10/28/2017 03:51 AM »
The term you're looking for is fluid compressibility. And water isn't compressible enough for gravity to seriously impact its density, not by more than a fraction of a percent anyway. A liter of water on Europa is still going to be pretty close to a kilogram on Earth

Europa's composition and position make it the most valuable long term destination for mankind

Why? Its just an iceball. Water isn't really very useful by itself, that stuff is everywhere anyway. Minerals and ores and non-water volatiles are what's really needed, resource-wise, and theres none to be found there unless you go almost to the core. And a moon baking in radiation harsh enough to be lethal in hours, deep inside the second largest gravity well in the solar system, is hardly my idea of a strategically valuable position
« Last Edit: 10/28/2017 03:51 AM by brickmack »