Author Topic: Gemini B cockpit labels  (Read 2571 times)

Offline 4throck

• Retro Space HD
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
Gemini B cockpit labels
« on: 10/19/2017 08:53 AM »
I'm working on a Gemini B cockpit 3D model for a simulator, and I need to write all the instrument labels.

Are there any good photos of the center panels?
The best I have are attached.

I've found great photo references for the side panels, it's just the center ones that are lacking.

Offline rguser

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gemini B cockpit labels
« Reply #1 on: 10/20/2017 07:15 AM »
I have seceral revisions of Mac drawings of the Gemini B controls including one produced for the Critical Design Review (CDR) dated 17 march 1969.  I will try to scan them but they may be too big.  My father was given these for working on the MOL program including being part of the team that launched the only test flight of the program.

Offline 4throck

• Retro Space HD
« Reply #2 on: 10/20/2017 01:28 PM »
That would be great!

Yes, scanned files can be big.
Another option is just to take pictures of the pages, as many as needed and share those as a photo album somewhere.
Whatever works best for you  ;D

Offline rguser

« Reply #3 on: 10/30/2017 05:37 AM »
The drawing will not fit in my scanner and I will not damage the print trying to make it fit.  My phone's camera is does not have the resolution required.  I will borrow a digital camera and try again to attach some pictures.

The photo you have does not even include the " ground command guidance stage 0" indicator light.

Offline 4throck

• Retro Space HD
« Reply #4 on: 10/30/2017 10:52 AM »
Thank you in advance for all the trouble!

Sharing what I have so far. I'm sure there are some errors.
This is the first stage, once the labels are in place, I'll start drawing all the switches and instruments.
In the end it will look clean and nice ;)

Offline rguser

« Reply #5 on: 01/07/2018 09:21 AM »
I am sorry for taking so long to post these pictures.  I hope they give you the information that you need.  If you need further information please let me know as I am now able to respond much faster now that I borrowed a camera.

Photos 1 through * are of the CDR drawing.  Photo 9 is of an older version that shows a couple of differences in the bar displays.  I do not know why the CDR drawing does not list both oxygen and helium pressure.  I know the laboraroty mopdule was to have a O2/He atmosphere but I do not know if the Gemini B capsole also had a O2/He atmosphere.

Offline rguser

« Reply #6 on: 01/07/2018 09:39 AM »
I forgot about the overhead center C/B panel so I will add the new photos in the next day or two.

Offline 4throck

• Retro Space HD
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/2018 11:54 AM »
MANY thanks! These things take time, no problem there  ;)

That's exactly what I need!

The photos are great, I can read the labels and if needed reassemble the complete document.
When I have something I'll post it here. I'm sure this will be useful for others!

Thank you!

Offline rguser

« Reply #8 on: 01/09/2018 08:11 AM »
I have attached two views of the the center overhead panel and it appears that your right outboard console may be out of date.  See photo 12.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 809
  • Likes Given: 557
« Reply #9 on: 01/09/2018 03:11 PM »
I know the laboraroty mopdule was to have a O2/He atmosphere but I do not know if the Gemini B capsole also had a O2/He atmosphere.

Why?  Less weight than O2/N2?  And why have the inert component at all in a module to be occupied only in orbit?  What was the pressure?
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 03:31 PM by Proponent »

Offline Michel Van

• Liege, Belgium
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #10 on: 01/13/2018 11:41 PM »
I know the laboraroty mopdule was to have a O2/He atmosphere but I do not know if the Gemini B capsole also had a O2/He atmosphere.

Why?  Less weight than O2/N2?  And why have the inert component at all in a module to be occupied only in orbit?  What was the pressure?

That a very odd reason to take O2/He atmosphere
i can only guess that was for a fast EVA mean the Astronauts could get out MOL and Gemini B instantly
with out decompressing problems under nitrogen gas.

On Pressure, MOL habitat were design for O2/He atmosphere at 5.0 psi (34,5 kPa)
also for spacesuits and chimp suits were design to operate on this pressure.

Source:
US spacesuits
by Kenneth S. Thomas and Harold J. McMann

Online the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1704
  • Likes Given: 3180
« Reply #11 on: 01/14/2018 12:18 AM »
Would only be about 25-30% HE then.  You need a partial pressure of no less than about 3.5 psi of O2 to sustain life.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)