Author Topic: AMS-02 Installation footage  (Read 780 times)

Offline Ranaa

• Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
AMS-02 Installation footage
« on: 10/08/2017 04:22 AM »
Hello,
I have a question. In the 'Time Lapse of AMS-02 Installation on ISS' video found on NASA's website,
there is a brief animation segment at 1:29 to 1:30 of multiple camera view. The 3D animation segment perfectly aligns with the real positions and movements in the video footage.

I understand animation models of mission maybe helpful before the mission. So I was wondering if anyone in the NASA deliberately added the animation footage with the real one for fun?

I would like to ask how an animation footage end up in a real activity video of ISS mission.

Thank you.

The screen-shots:

« Last Edit: 10/08/2017 04:30 AM by Ranaa »

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: AMS-02 Installation footage
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/2017 05:26 AM »
The animation is generated by a special application in the Payload Deployment and Retrieval Systems (PDRS) officer's console. It is driven by the actual telemetry from the orbiter's PDRS. The station got something similar called DOUG or Dynamic Onboard Ubiquitous Graphics which is also loaded on the various Station Support Computers (SSCs, ordinary laptops modified for use in microgravity) that the crew use to interface with the station systems.

The animations are used in lieu of actual video when the orbiter/station is outside the coverage zones for the high-speed Ku band system. The telemetry stream is small enough to fit in the regular S-band down/forward links along with voice comms. Video however requires the high speeds enabled by the Ku band system which is only available when the Ku band dishes have unobstructed line of sight to one of the many Tracking and Data Relay Satellites (TDRS).

Each view in the animation mimics one of the actual cameras found on the orbiter (four in each corner of the payload bay, two on the Shuttle RMS).
« Last Edit: 10/08/2017 05:28 AM by DaveS »
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Ranaa

• Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: AMS-02 Installation footage
« Reply #2 on: 10/08/2017 05:52 AM »
That clears up the confusion. Googling few things mentioned helped to learn something new.

Thank you very much and sincere regards.

Tags: