Author Topic: New BBC Show - The 21st Century Race for Space  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 168
New BBC Show - The 21st Century Race for Space
« on: 08/29/2017 04:51 PM »
New show presented by Brian Cox interviewing people such as Richard Branson & Jeff Bezos, also looking around various hangers and labs. Starts on Tuesday the 5th September at 21:00 BEST on BBC2.

Broadcast details.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094f595/broadcasts

Where the show will appear online once broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094f595

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/2017 01:07 PM »
The show starts with an interview with Dennis Tito about his trip to space and general space tourism so far, as well as a tour round his house and seeing some of his space items.

Then onto Virgin Galactic and watching some potential Space Ship Two passengers on a tour of their facilities, though only two are actually seen on camera giving their names. Brian Cox gets to sit in the cockpit of Space Ship Two, though nothing else is seen as it hasn't been fitted out yet we are told. It's stated that two further ships are being built and some construction is seen on camera. The crash was mentioned and shown to some degree. Virgin Galactic was interviewed on screen very briefly about it. A glide flight was shown and Branson is interviewed on and off though mostly in sound bites. Then Brian Cox flies with him to their New Mexico spaceport. Branson admits their costs have been higher than they thought but they are determined to eventually get the price down of flying with them. It's mentioned that Spaceport America was two thirds financed by New Mexico taxpayers. We are shown an empty hanger there except for a model of Space Ship Two & the voiceover tells us they pay a rent of a million a year but also that New Mexico is paying $500,000 annually. They then go onto very briefly mention Virgin Orbital, and not even by name.

Now Jeff Bezos & the Blue Origin factory which he is allowed in with a film crew. Various bits of hardware are seen in the background but mostly it's an interview with Bezos. He talks about costs being high as launch vehicles are not used enough. You see an aft section of a New Shepherd vehicle with its landing legs being tested. He talks again about stepping towards a spacefaring species and protecting Earth by moving heavy industry off of it. He then talks of solar power and mineral resources in space.

Now onto Deep Space Industries and talking to its chairman about space mining. Voiceover mentions they have major investment from the government of Luxembourg , chairman talks about tugboats and refuelling satellites. Cox is now at Planetary Resources and interviewing them about their asteroid mining. Person being interviewed about the amount of resources out there (didn't catch their name). Voiceover mentions mining a single asteroid could bring a profit of 30 billion dollars.

Now onto Space X and going to Mars. Interviewing Tim Urban. Only stock footage is shown and some talk of last years pad failure. Goes onto talk about reusable rockets & Dragon. Talks of revolutionising the industry so we can become a spacefaring species as a safety net by going to Mars in case something happens to Earth. They are talking about scepticism of Space X plans and timescales.

Now onto JPL and talking to Charles Elachi about landing on Mars with Curiosity. Talking about finding ice on Mars and also about NASA's plans for landing humans on Mars and how difficult this will be, that it needs to be a national endeavour Elachi says in the interview. Now Robert Zubrin interviewed in his lab about living on Mars. Voiceover tells us his back to basics approach has been appealing. Zubrin talks about his Mars Direct plan and about entrepreneurs like Musk. He talks about going to Mars to survive and that we need to see the Earth is just one world amongst many for resources.

Cox is now at a Mars Analogue Station out in the Utah desert visiting in a spacesuit for a full simulation. Voiceover talking about practical and psychology challenges and that the station is funded by Elon Musk. Cox is meeting some of the inhabitants. Being shown an experimental plant nursery. Voiceover talking about how difficult living on Mars will be. He's now interviewing them about actually going to Mars and would they do it. Finished by talking to Bezos & Zubrin about the future of mankind going into space. Show finishes on a positive note with optimism about humans finally leaving Earth to live outside of it.

To learn more and watch the episode go to www.bbc.co.uk/raceforspace
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 01:45 PM by Star One »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2592
  • Likes Given: 861
Re: New BBC Show - The 21st Century Race for Space
« Reply #2 on: 09/06/2017 02:10 PM »
Thanks for posting the summary. The Planetary Resources interviewee was Chris Lewicki (CEO).

Clearly SpaceX didn't grant an interview so they had to fall back to Tim! I think the programme did a reasonable job introducing the topic to a mainstream audience. A bit too much VG for my liking, but possibly because of the Richard Branson and thus UK connection. (VG were probably also the most willing  to grant access?). I was pleased to see DSi and Planetary Resources included too.

My favourite bit was the VG customer who said that he wasn't interested in space at all but signed-up for a SS2 flight as soon as he heard how fast it'll go, "I like fast" :)
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 02:12 PM by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3 on: 09/06/2017 03:36 PM »
The summary is much appreciated! I was interested but absolutely can't stand Cox, so didn't watch.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #4 on: 09/06/2017 04:02 PM »
The summary is much appreciated! I was interested but absolutely can't stand Cox, so didn't watch.

Thanks. He is I know a very marmite presenter.

Offline Andy Bandy

• California
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2017 06:06 PM »
The show starts with an interview with Dennis Tito about his trip to space and general space tourism so far, as well as a tour round his house and seeing some of his space items.

Then onto Virgin Galactic and watching some potential Space Ship Two passengers on a tour of their facilities, though only two are actually seen on camera giving their names. Brian Cox gets to sit in the cockpit of Space Ship Two, though nothing else is seen as it hasn't been fitted out yet we are told. It's stated that two further ships are being built and some construction is seen on camera. The crash was mentioned and shown to some degree. Virgin Galactic was interviewed on screen very briefly about it. A glide flight was shown and Branson is interviewed on and off though mostly in sound bites. Then Brian Cox flies with him to their New Mexico spaceport. Branson admits their costs have been higher than they thought but they are determined to eventually get the price down of flying with them. It's mentioned that Spaceport America was two thirds financed by New Mexico taxpayers. We are shown an empty hanger there except for a model of Space Ship Two & the voiceover tells us they pay a rent of a million a year but also that New Mexico is paying $500,000 annually. They then go onto very briefly mention Virgin Orbital, and not even by name.

Now Jeff Bezos & the Blue Origin factory which he is allowed in with a film crew. Various bits of hardware are seen in the background but mostly it's an interview with Bezos. He talks about costs being high as launch vehicles are not used enough. You see an aft section of a New Shepherd vehicle with its landing legs being tested. He talks again about stepping towards a spacefaring species and protecting Earth by moving heavy industry off of it. He then talks of solar power and mineral resources in space.

Now onto Deep Space Industries and talking to its chairman about space mining. Voiceover mentions they have major investment from the government of Luxembourg , chairman talks about tugboats and refuelling satellites. Cox is now at Planetary Resources and interviewing them about their asteroid mining. Person being interviewed about the amount of resources out there (didn't catch their name). Voiceover mentions mining a single asteroid could bring a profit of 30 billion dollars.

Now onto Space X and going to Mars. Interviewing Tim Urban. Only stock footage is shown and some talk of last years pad failure. Goes onto talk about reusable rockets & Dragon. Talks of revolutionising the industry so we can become a spacefaring species as a safety net by going to Mars in case something happens to Earth. They are talking about scepticism of Space X plans and timescales.

Now onto JPL and talking to Charles Elachi about landing on Mars with Curiosity. Talking about finding ice on Mars and also about NASA's plans for landing humans on Mars and how difficult this will be, that it needs to be a national endeavour Elachi says in the interview. Now Robert Zubrin interviewed in his lab about living on Mars. Voiceover tells us his back to basics approach has been appealing. Zubrin talks about his Mars Direct plan and about entrepreneurs like Musk. He talks about going to Mars to survive and that we need to see the Earth is just one world amongst many for resources.

Cox is now at a Mars Analogue Station out in the Utah desert visiting in a spacesuit for a full simulation. Voiceover talking about practical and psychology challenges and that the station is funded by Elon Musk. Cox is meeting some of the inhabitants. Being shown an experimental plant nursery. Voiceover talking about how difficult living on Mars will be. He's now interviewing them about actually going to Mars and would they do it. Finished by talking to Bezos & Zubrin about the future of mankind going into space. Show finishes on a positive note with optimism about humans finally leaving Earth to live outside of it.

To learn more and watch the episode go to www.bbc.co.uk/raceforspace

Spaceport America was two thirds financed by taxpayers? No. Fully financed. All $225 million or so of it. 

Offline Andy Bandy

• California
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 09/06/2017 06:08 PM »
Too much VG? Guess who produced the documentary for the BBC? Sundog Pictures. Run by Sam Branson. Yes, THAT Sam Branson.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 06:09 PM by Andy Bandy »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #7 on: 09/06/2017 06:41 PM »
Too much VG? Guess who produced the documentary for the BBC? Sundog Pictures. Run by Sam Branson. Yes, THAT Sam Branson.

I wouldn't have said their section dominated the documentary.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5118
  • Likes Given: 3417
« Reply #8 on: 09/06/2017 08:29 PM »

I wouldn't have said their section dominated the documentary.
Maybe just tipped a bit in the overcoverage direction because of the family connection? But that's not a showstopper.

I know what Marmite is but what's a Marmite presenter?  Took a perfectly good presenter and made it into something awful that only dogs and Englishmen would enjoy???  (sorry, couldn't resist overworking that analogy)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #9 on: 09/06/2017 08:32 PM »
One comment I would make is the lack of Elon Musk in person was a real shame and left the Space X section rather underpowered.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 08:32 PM by Star One »

Offline mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #10 on: 09/06/2017 08:39 PM »
I know what Marmite is but what's a Marmite presenter?

Marmite (as you know, but for the benefit of those who don't) is a by-product of the brewing industry. It is strongly salty and yeasty, and goes well spread on toast and dunked in a soft-boiled egg.
The universe is considered to be divided into those who love marmite, and those who loathe it. Very few people are undecided. Similar feelings apply to Prof Cox (not to be confused with the actor Brian Cox - hello to Jason Isaacs)

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 281
  • Likes Given: 434
« Reply #11 on: 09/06/2017 11:41 PM »
One comment I would make is the lack of Elon Musk in person was a real shame and left the Space X section rather underpowered.

Musk have a history with the BBC. A messy one to do with the "Top Gear" show that involved a libel lawsuit.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #12 on: 09/07/2017 07:22 AM »

Musk have a history with the BBC. A messy one to do with the "Top Gear" show that involved a libel lawsuit.

Really. I've never heard of that before?

Offline mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #13 on: 09/07/2017 07:26 AM »

Really. I've never heard of that before?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/mar/05/top-gear-tesla-jeremy-clarkson

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1493
  • Likes Given: 2617
« Reply #14 on: 09/10/2017 02:46 AM »
I'm one of those who particularly like Brian Cox.  He shows a genuine passion for science.  It behooves us to use those who have that passion, and can express it, to encourage the next generations in taking it up.

I would say Prof. Cox is several million per cent better as a narrator than Eric Dellums (sp?), who does the narration for a lot of the pseudo-science and a few of the science programs produced by the Discovery networks.  Maybe I just have a problem with someone who can swivel directly from Ancient Aliens to How the Universe Works and not display severe psychological issues from the disconnect between the two... ;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 260
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #15 on: 09/10/2017 08:42 PM »
Prof Cox can be really funny.  In an introduction to his radio show (also available on podcast) called "The Infinite Monkey Cage", there is mention of the podcast being a "longer" version of the show as broadcast on the BBC.  Cox pipes up that the term "longer" is not precise because it assumes a frame of reference.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Tags: