Author Topic: SpaceX Manifest Updates and Discussion Thread 5  (Read 211390 times)

Offline vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 1720
  • Likes Given: 2197
Re: SpaceX Manifest Updates and Discussion Thread 5
« Reply #200 on: 12/25/2017 04:59 PM »
FWIW, SpaceX's requests for media accred. applications gave NETs of "late January" for both launches. Probably still in flux :)

Online deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1728
  • Likes Given: 3594
« Reply #201 on: 12/25/2017 07:20 PM »
(once upon a time there was a chart showing how accurate SpaceX NET dates hold up from x days out, anyone remember where that was?)

It was in the SpaceX Scrubs thread, the one which eventually inspired the most excellent SpaceX Launch Log.  Put together by saliva_sweet.  I kind of doubt that the graph has been kept up to date all this time, but maybe: 

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36507.msg1311816#msg1311816
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 423
  • Likes Given: 1328
« Reply #202 on: 12/25/2017 08:57 PM »
It was in the SpaceX Scrubs thread, the one which eventually inspired the most excellent SpaceX Launch Log.  Put together by saliva_sweet.  I kind of doubt that the graph has been kept up to date all this time, but maybe: 

Unfortunately I stopped updating the data during the post-CRS-7 hiatus :( I guess the table could be rebuilt from Salo's launch log, but it's a ton of work at this point.

Online Roy_H

• Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 1405
« Reply #203 on: 12/26/2017 06:36 PM »

Unfortunately I stopped updating the data during the post-CRS-7 hiatus :( I guess the table could be rebuilt from Salo's launch log, but it's a ton of work at this point.

Not worth the effort. We all know many have been delayed for years and only now is SpaceX making headway on its backlog. The only thing an updated chart would show is that it is getting better.  ;)
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Online cscott

• Liked: 2016
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #204 on: 12/26/2017 07:09 PM »
OTOH, I found the chart useful in planning vacation travel to Florida: it gave me a rough probability that a launch date would hold, which let me know whether I should try to actively plan around it or just resign myself to the luck of the launch dates.

Online envy887

• Liked: 2123
  • Likes Given: 1269
« Reply #205 on: 12/27/2017 05:54 PM »
For the FH Demo, the date should be 2018-01 NET (multiple SpaceX sources have publicly said January), and the orbit should be either TMI or ESC (Earth escape, if you're pedantic about Mars being there at the other end of TMI).

Also, why is the order of core reuse RNR, while the order of landing location is LLS? Should that not be either RRN/LLS or RNR/LSL, for consistency? I prefer the latter.

Offline bulkmail

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 4

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6956
  • Likes Given: 4748
« Reply #207 on: 12/28/2017 02:51 PM »
Agree about the abbreviation order, it should be consistent, and side/center/side is better than center/side/side or side/side/center
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2723
  • Likes Given: 1641
« Reply #208 on: 01/03/2018 02:12 PM »
It looks like SpaceX may have switched Mission 1393 from ASDS to RTLS?  ???

1746-EX-ST-2017
Please explain in the area below why an STA is necessary:
This STA uses information from previous application 1643-EX-ST-2017, and covers the experimental first-stage recovery operation following a Falcon 9 launch from Cape Canaveral. This request for authority is limited to two functions: 1) pre-launch checkout test of the command uplink from an onshore station at CCAFS (less than five minutes in duration), and 2) command of landed stage from recovery boat (less than five minutes in duration). All operations are pre-coordinated with the launch Range. Launch vehicle flight communications for this mission are covered by a separate STA.

Purpose of Operation
Please explain the purpose of operation:    Experimental first-stage recovery operation for Falcon 9 launch of SpaceX Mission 1393.

0007-EX-ST-2018
This STA uses information from previous application 1318-EX-ST-2017, and covers the experimental first-stage recovery operation following a Falcon 9 launch from Cape Canaveral. This request for authority is limited to two functions: 1) pre-launch checkout test of the TC uplink from an onshore station at CCAFS (less than five minutes in duration) 2) experimental uplink testing from the an onshore station at CCAFS during first-stage descent (less than five minutes in duration) Both operations are pre-coordinated with the launch Range. Launch vehicle flight communications for this mission are covered by a separate STA.

Purpose of Operation
Please explain the purpose of operation:    Experimental first-stage recovery operation for Falcon 9 launch of SpaceX Mission 1393. Transmitting stations located at Port Canaveral.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #209 on: 01/03/2018 06:56 PM »

Block 5 flexing its muscles?
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Online envy887

« Reply #210 on: 01/03/2018 07:28 PM »

1746-EX-ST-2017
This STA uses information from previous application 1643-EX-ST-2017, and covers the experimental first-stage recovery operation following a Falcon 9 launch from Cape Canaveral. This request for authority is limited to two functions: 1) pre-launch checkout test of the command uplink from an onshore station at CCAFS (less than five minutes in duration), and 2) command of landed stage from recovery boat (less than five minutes in duration). All operations are pre-coordinated with the launch Range. Launch vehicle flight communications for this mission are covered by a separate STA.

Purpose of Operation
Please explain the purpose of operation:    Experimental first-stage recovery operation for Falcon 9 launch of SpaceX Mission 1393.

0007-EX-ST-2018
This STA uses information from previous application 1318-EX-ST-2017, and covers the experimental first-stage recovery operation following a Falcon 9 launch from Cape Canaveral. This request for authority is limited to two functions: 1) pre-launch checkout test of the TC uplink from an onshore station at CCAFS (less than five minutes in duration) 2) experimental uplink testing from the an onshore station at CCAFS during first-stage descent (less than five minutes in duration) Both operations are pre-coordinated with the launch Range. Launch vehicle flight communications for this mission are covered by a separate STA.

Purpose of Operation
Please explain the purpose of operation:    Experimental first-stage recovery operation for Falcon 9 launch of SpaceX Mission 1393. Transmitting stations located at Port Canaveral.

There are 4 launches on the 2018 manifest that could fit the mass/energy, launch site, and date range (Feb-Aug):
Bangabandhu
USAF GPS III-1
Telkom 4
Es'hail 2

Do we know which is 1393?

Offline stcks

• Liked: 204
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #211 on: 01/03/2018 07:42 PM »

But the location for landing hasn't changed and is still way out in the Atlantic... what am I missing?

North  28  19  46   West  74  7  4     Launch vehicle stage 1 landing site

Online deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1728
  • Likes Given: 3594
« Reply #212 on: 01/03/2018 08:05 PM »

But the location for landing hasn't changed and is still way out in the Atlantic... what am I missing?

North  28  19  46   West  74  7  4     Launch vehicle stage 1 landing site
The transmitting location being stated as from an onshore transmitter at CCAFS (in the description section) and dropping the command from the recovery boat sentence.  Maybe those coordinates are a mistake and they didn't get updated?
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline stcks

• Liked: 204
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #213 on: 01/03/2018 08:32 PM »
The transmitting location being stated as from an onshore transmitter at CCAFS (in the description section) and dropping the command from the recovery boat sentence.  Maybe those coordinates are a mistake and they didn't get updated?

Hmm.. weird, I didn't see that. Either the onshore transmitter is magic and works that far away or its a misprint in the application (??). Could it just be an expendable launch and therefore no drone ship?

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 304
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #214 on: 01/05/2018 02:29 PM »
The new "SpaceX FPIP" for the New Year :)

The usual disclaimer:
This chart is not an attempt to predict the actual launch dates.
It is an attempt to visualize the current launch PLANS - or the state of our knowledge about launch plans.

Here I made chart for the whole year ahead - which is not difficult for ULA launches as all of them have launch dates penciled. With SpaceX a bunch of flights does not have dates, the order and even launch pad designation are unknown as well. Therefore the chart has pale-green blocks labelled as "2d Q" or "2d H".

But anyway - the chart has 29 (twenty nine  :o ) Falcon flights.
Go SpaceX!!

Edit: Updated chart with new data for SAOCOM
« Last Edit: 01/06/2018 11:53 AM by smoliarm »

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 523
  • Likes Given: 251
« Reply #215 on: 01/05/2018 06:55 PM »

Online envy887

« Reply #216 on: 01/05/2018 07:13 PM »

Hmm.. weird, I didn't see that. Either the onshore transmitter is magic and works that far away or its a misprint in the application (??). Could it just be an expendable launch and therefore no drone ship?

Probably just a copy-paste typo. Would not be the first time we've seen those in a SpaceX application.

Offline Testraindrop

• Germany
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #217 on: 01/06/2018 03:27 PM »
The PTScientist Audi Lunar Rovers are planned to be launched in 2019 from Cape Canaveral to the moon, seem like on the F9 not on the heavy...
I didn't find it on the schedule yet...

Source (translated)

On the "Autonomous Landing and Navigation Module" are the two rovers.

The schedule is tight. ALINA is due to launch the two lunar vehicles from Cape Canaveral in 2019 into orbit. A commercial rocket Falcon 9 from Elon Musks company SpaceX is used. It takes about five days to reach the moon for almost 400,000 kilometers. Then she lands automatically, with a safe distance to the Apollo 17 landing site. The goal: The Rover to return to the landing site of the last manned mission of 45 years ago. There, they are to conduct a series of experiments commissioned by NASA and several European universities.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5677
  • Likes Given: 1627
« Reply #218 on: 01/08/2018 05:57 PM »
Will report next Iridium launch date soon.  I CAN report that Iridium 5 will be directed to our orbital Plane #1 - all 10 will go into service there.  It will also be a morning launch - probably a little before 8am local...

https://twitter.com/iridiumboss/status/950440422127489024

Online envy887

« Reply #219 on: 01/08/2018 07:13 PM »
Is there an Iridium 5 thread yet? And does anyone know what days in the next few weeks months that plane #1 is overhead at that time?
Edit: looking into my own questions, it looks like plane #1 will be over VAFB just before 8 am local around March 10, and then again around March 23 because daylight savings sets local time forward an hour.

http://www.rod.sladen.org.uk/iridium.htm
http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25291&lat=34.742&lng=-120.5724&loc=747&alt=102&tz=PST&showall=t
« Last Edit: 01/08/2018 07:51 PM by envy887 »

Tags: