Author Topic: Robonaut  (Read 2485 times)

Offline rliebman

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Robonaut
« on: 07/07/2017 09:41 AM »
We have not heard much about Robonaut recently. What is the current status?  What are the forward plans and timelines?

Offline whitelancer64

Re: Robonaut
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2017 05:49 PM »
We have not heard much about Robonaut recently. What is the current status?  What are the forward plans and timelines?

There is a fault in its power supply that has kept it out of action for the past ~2 years. Last I heard that is still an issue and has not yet been resolved.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2017 09:21 PM »
In 2018 it's stowage location has to move because the ESA build ACLS is planned to be located at LAB P1.
I have not found where they plan to move Robonaut's launch/stowage cradle to. But there isn't a AVCO (available) rack location in the US Lab. So most likely it will end up in PMM or ELM-PS, I hope it goes to the stowage module of KIBO (ELM-PS).
It might also be returned to earth or exposed of, we shall see.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2017 02:09 AM »
Now that BEAM is officially the loose cargo hold for a while, might it end up stored in there?

Offline eric z

• Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2017 02:16 AM »
 So, we are going to have a space-faring civilization, but can't fix Robonaut in 2 years? Really? ::)

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/2017 02:22 AM »
So, we are going to have a space-faring civilization, but can't fix Robonaut in 2 years? Really? ::)
R2 is simply not a priority. It's an experiment that has run its course really and there's no real drive to push it any further so no crew time is spent on it. JSC is the responsible organization for the whole Robonaut program so they have limited funding and have decided to spend that elsewhere. It's the same for HDEV, that's an experiment as well and once it dies there won't be any servicing of it. Maybe just jettisoned during an EVA and allowed to decay and disintegrate.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2017 02:24 AM by DaveS »
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline eric z

« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2017 02:36 AM »
 I get all that- but then, don't market it to the kiddies thru endless hype and PR on NASA-TV as they did. Just fix it first, for heaven's sake, before shelving it, if only for "Practice"*. This thing was going to do everything but cook breakfast [yes, I'm exaggerating for effect]- Dumbo-types like me wonder was it ready for prime-time in the first place? Is this it for robonauts at ISS? Or will a new improved one go up? This reminds me of those tethered satellite experiments we didn't follow thru on during the shuttle-era. Please tell me I got it wrong, I really don't mind.
 * Sorry for the Alan Iverson reference.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5444
  • Likes Given: 3589
« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2017 02:37 AM »
wondering how much puncture risk it poses if stored there,   I expect it's still negligible  although more than cargo bags?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #8 on: 10/05/2017 02:45 AM »
I get all that- but then, don't market it to the kiddies thru endless hype and PR on NASA-TV as they did. Just fix it first, for heaven's sake, before shelving it, if only for "Practice"*. This thing was going to do everything but cook breakfast [yes, I'm exaggerating for effect]- Dumbo-types like me wonder was it ready for prime-time in the first place? Is this it for robonauts at ISS? Or will a new improved one go up? This reminds me of those tethered satellite experiments we didn't follow thru on during the shuttle-era. Please tell me I got it wrong, I really don't mind.

That's the problem - it was hyped as a robotic crew member when all it did was basically put pegs in a board.  I think such teleoperation is worthwhile research but get tired of the hype associated with it. It's not an additional crew member, it's not even an operational piece of kit.  It's another experiment.  But that robotic research for you.
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #9 on: 10/05/2017 02:55 AM »
 * Sorry for the Alan Iverson reference.
Please understand that the ISS is and always was thought of as a on-orbit microgravity laboratory. ISS is there for experiments that require microgravity and vacuum to be tested. It's not a place for operational hardware, just like in labs here on Earth. Labs are used to test, research and develop new stuff and gain new experiences and knowledge. Things definitely change when exposed to microgravity.

Experiments are always run on a finite budget and have limited goals (unless we're talking about big national/international things like the LHC at CERN). R2 was always going to be a very limited deal, just testing things out with its special task board. Once all the objectives with the task board had been completed, that was it. Any further extensions hinged on the experiment team being able to sell them to JSC management to obtain further funding for more advanced hardware and procuring the appropriate services.

Obviously, this did not materialize so when R2 died that was it. To use the very common phrase: "No bucks, no Buck Rodgers". Crew time is very valuable and R2 takes alot of time to set up and tear down.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline eric z

« Reply #10 on: 10/05/2017 03:27 AM »
 Time to cue up Aerosmith's "Toys in the Attic". 8)

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 975
  • Likes Given: 345
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #12 on: 10/07/2017 08:56 PM »
Now that BEAM is officially the loose cargo hold for a while, might it end up stored in there?
The launch / stowage cradle for Robonaut is the size of a ISPR rack, so a empty rack location is needed for Robonaut.
I also doubt if Robonaut fits through the BEAM hatch.
NASA will most likely create space for Robonaut by relocating cargobags into BEAM (along with the retention system). We shall have to wait patiently until NASA releases how this logistical problem will be solved.
If I'm not mistaken, ACLS is on the cargo manifest for HTV-7, that is planned to be launched march 2018.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2017 08:57 PM by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #13 on: 10/08/2017 08:39 AM »

That's the problem - it was hyped as a robotic crew member when all it did was basically put pegs in a board.  I think such teleoperation is worthwhile research but get tired of the hype associated with it. It's not an additional crew member, it's not even an operational piece of kit.  It's another experiment.  But that robotic research for you.

I am sure researchers in this area appreciate your sneering attitude towards their work.

Offline Prettz

• Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #14 on: 10/19/2017 04:30 PM »

I am sure researchers in this area appreciate your sneering attitude towards their work.
What research? They verified that the electric motors in the arms operate the same way in weightlessness as they did on earth.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #15 on: 10/19/2017 04:48 PM »

What research? They verified that the electric motors in the arms operate the same way in weightlessness as they did on earth.

Not the point I was making.

Tags: Robonaut ISS