Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon Heavy Discussion (Thread 6)  (Read 212128 times)

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1721
  • Likes Given: 1665
Re: SpaceX Falcon Heavy Discussion (Thread 6)
« Reply #360 on: 12/30/2017 10:26 PM »
I am quite confident with my opinion that SpaceX intends to to be able to do all DoD missions with the Falcon family. That would include vertical integration and a larger fairing. A 2 year timeframe from contract to launch will enable them to design the capabilities after contract award.
Why would they?

They're intent on retiring F9, and moving on the what is literally a new space age.

Plus they want to operate StarLink, which is much more lucrative than an AF contract.

The AF will come along when they're good and ready.  Until then they can fly EELVs.

Also, why antagonize ULAs support base?  The "win" they are aiming for is so large that there's no need for ULA to "lose".

It'd be a distraction and a wasted effort.

It is quite clear that SpaceX will not get any NASA support for BFR but possibly from the Airforce. No point in antagonizing the Airforce by not following up on their commitement to fly all military payloads. FH makes little sense now that RedDragon is gone except for that.

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4404
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #361 on: 12/30/2017 10:31 PM »
I am quite confident with my opinion that SpaceX intends to to be able to do all DoD missions with the Falcon family. That would include vertical integration and a larger fairing. A 2 year timeframe from contract to launch will enable them to design the capabilities after contract award.
Why would they?

They're intent on retiring F9, and moving on the what is literally a new space age.

Plus they want to operate StarLink, which is much more lucrative than an AF contract.

The AF will come along when they're good and ready.  Until then they can fly EELVs.

Also, why antagonize ULAs support base?  The "win" they are aiming for is so large that there's no need for ULA to "lose".

It'd be a distraction and a wasted effort.

It is quite clear that SpaceX will not get any NASA support for BFR but possibly from the Airforce. No point in antagonizing the Airforce by not following up on their commitement to fly all military payloads. FH makes little sense now that RedDragon is gone except for that.

I didn't say "don't fly AF payloads".  I said "don't develop specialty hardware for that".

The most expensive thing for SpaceX right now is engineering bandwidth.

EELVs can take care of business for the next few years, until the AF realizes (in not too many years) that there's a 100-ton rapidly reusable booster available.  Requirements will start changing rapidly, I'm pretty confident of that.  The Air Force will not waste capability like that.

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1721
  • Likes Given: 1665
« Reply #362 on: 12/30/2017 10:34 PM »
I didn't say "don't fly AF payloads".  I said "don't develop specialty hardware for that".

The point is to be able to fly all of them. I am pretty sure the engineering is done already. They will bid and actually build when they win a contract.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2461
  • Likes Given: 870
« Reply #363 on: 12/30/2017 10:43 PM »
Guys, SpaceX will decide by themselves what they will and won't do without input from any of us.
We're just privileged to be able to watch how all this plays out [nearly] first hand (thanks NSF).
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4404
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #364 on: 12/30/2017 11:11 PM »
Guys, SpaceX will decide by themselves what they will and won't do without input from any of us.
We're just privileged to be able to watch how all this plays out [nearly] first hand (thanks NSF).
Indeed they will....

And this is not the thread for it anyway..
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 709
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #365 on: 01/01/2018 10:16 PM »
The vehicle for this flight should be all new Block 5 cores.
The only FH B5 cores ever made?? B5 cores should be good for more flights than there are FH missions on the manifest...
« Last Edit: 01/01/2018 10:19 PM by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 542
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #366 on: 01/01/2018 10:45 PM »
The only FH B5 cores ever made?? B5 cores should be good for more flights than there are FH missions on the manifest...

It would not hurt to have 2 of those...
I would expect that time and experience gained the next year will be a major factor on what actually will happen next.
If Block 5 will proof as good as they hope it will be, it will change the game big time.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 505
  • Likes Given: 574
« Reply #367 on: 01/03/2018 07:38 PM »
SpaceX posted a nice little movie of the Falcon Heavy out at 39A on Instagram.

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #368 on: 01/05/2018 03:29 AM »

I'd guess at first they'll have 1-2 trios of B5 FH cores, exchanging them out every flight. If FH begins to get really popular, I could see another few sets be made.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3322
  • Likes Given: 2083
« Reply #369 on: 01/05/2018 05:10 AM »

I'd guess at first they'll have 1-2 trios of B5 FH cores, exchanging them out every flight. If FH begins to get really popular, I could see another few sets be made.

Note that F9 cores can be converted into FH side cores - and vice versa.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 709
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #370 on: 01/05/2018 11:12 AM »
« Last Edit: 01/05/2018 11:22 AM by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline ATPTourFan

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #371 on: 01/05/2018 01:32 PM »
And following that, are all Block 5 standard F9 cores already compatible with Falcon Heavy as a side booster? Thinking the new octaweb for Block 5 has everything needed as standard now and any other changes to the booster are in the interstage/nose-cone area and can be done during the campaign through to launch.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2018 01:33 PM by ATPTourFan »

Offline kevinstout

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #372 on: 01/05/2018 08:35 PM »
Could a B5 heavy center core fly single stick?  I guess thereís a small performance hit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2620
  • Likes Given: 1575
« Reply #373 on: 01/05/2018 08:46 PM »
And following that, are all Block 5 standard F9 cores already compatible with Falcon Heavy as a side booster? Thinking the new octaweb for Block 5 has everything needed as standard now and any other changes to the booster are in the interstage/nose-cone area and can be done during the campaign through to launch.

The octaweb would still need to be modified but apparently that can be done with bolts instead of welds now.

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 974
  • Likes Given: 555
« Reply #374 on: 01/05/2018 08:54 PM »

The octaweb would still need to be modified but apparently that can be done with bolts instead of welds now.
It is my understanding that the B4 and B5 octawebs have all of the FH systems and attachment points manufactured from the get go and yes it is now only recessed slots for brackets, bolt holes and plug holes for for electrical and data to the separation and strut stowage systems.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #375 on: 01/08/2018 04:07 AM »
So the falcon heavy has been pushed back to late January said by Elon musk so whenís the static fire? This week?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #376 on: 01/08/2018 04:03 PM »
So the falcon heavy has been pushed back to late January said by Elon musk so whenís the static fire? This week?

Yes, this week. Possibly Wednesday...SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

But they'll fire up when they are good and ready. 27 engines. This is not going to be your usual firing.

Let them get on the pad and ready to prop load. Then we'll know. Dates on this one have been moving around. If I get a good "going for it now" note, it'll be posted here (well the update thread) :)

And I want to see SWARMS of people taking their Facebook live and such to various viewing spots to stream this big girl firing up to the masses. So that makes it doubly important that the SECOND we get a good "going for it" date/time, it'll be posted HERE (well, the update thread ;)) and tweeted out and sent to all reaches of the planet via Pony Express, smoke signals and carrier pigeons.  ;D

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #377 on: 01/08/2018 04:33 PM »

But they'll fire up when they are good and ready. 27 engines. This is not going to be your usual firing.

Let them get on the pad and ready to prop load. Then we'll know. Dates on this one have been moving around. If I get a good "going for it now" note, it'll be posted here (well the update thread) :)

And I want to see SWARMS of people taking their Facebook live and such to various viewing spots to stream this big girl firing up to the masses. So that makes it doubly important that the SECOND we get a good "going for it" date/time, it'll be posted HERE (well, the update thread ;)) and tweeted out and sent to all reaches of the planet via Pony Express, smoke signals and carrier pigeons.  ;D

I heard the Heavy is back on the pad again. But no confirmation if itís a static fire so we wait.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2018 04:39 PM by SPITexas »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #378 on: 01/08/2018 04:48 PM »

I heard the Heavy is back on the pad again. But no confirmation if itís a static fire so we wait.

Yes, the update thread shows they are heading back to the pad and this is for the Static Fire test.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2018 04:48 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline FutureMartian97

« Reply #379 on: 01/08/2018 05:10 PM »
Are they targeting tomorrow then? Don't see a reason they will leave it there unless they are gonna do another WDR first.

« Last Edit: 01/08/2018 05:11 PM by FutureMartian97 »

Tags: