Author Topic: shuttle launch sounds  (Read 7161 times)

Offline astrobrian

• NSF MAX-Q
  • Liked: 5
  • Austin Texas
Re: shuttle launch sounds
« Reply #15 on: 09/04/2006 02:54 PM »
Are you sure that STS-70 is shuttle audio? I hear nothing of the SRB popping that is normally heard. An overlay of audio perhaps?
-------------------------------
w w w . m a x Q e n t . c o m
G o__A t__T h r o t t l e__U p
-------------------------------
Find Max Q on Facebook! and Twitter

Offline rumble

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Conway, AR
« Reply #16 on: 09/04/2006 02:56 PM »

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: 09/04/2006 02:56 PM »
Yea the STS-70 sounds are not really to match.

In fact, I would have to say that the audio on all three videos was added separately and does not necessarily reflect the actual sound in realtime.

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: 09/04/2006 11:34 PM »
astrobrian - 4/9/2006  7:41 AM

Are you sure that STS-70 is shuttle audio? I hear nothing of the SRB popping that is normally heard. An overlay of audio perhaps?

That's why I said I didn't think it was complete. I've always thought the SSMEs cut in with a sharper sound than that, and you never do hear the SRBs in that video, when even in the TV feed it's pretty obvious. But that's the only Shuttle clip I could find that had no PAO or other voices on it.

But as far as I know the sound in the Saturn V clips is authentic.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline mixologist07

• St. Louis
« Reply #19 on: 01/22/2010 03:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

As some of you here know, I've been involved with capturing high-definition audio of shuttle launches since STS-123.  I'm currently working on finding a proper partnership with a space-based site, but for now, the Internet Archive has been gracious enough to host recordings made. 

It's only been in the last couple years that we've had technology capable of making these recordings in small, portable packages. 

I wanted to share what I consider the best recording I've made, from the bank of the barge turn basin at the complex 39 press site. 

This is a 24-bit, 96kHz high definition recording.  You'll need to download the .WAV file, and listen to it via iTunes or Quicktime, as long as it supports uncompressed 24-bit playback.  Large speakers are preferred as long as they have GREAT bass playback potential, but listening through headphones is very realistic.

http://www.archive.org/download/LaunchOfSpaceShuttleEndavourOnMissionSts-123/sts-123_launch_2496.wav

With the last few missions scheduled, the goal will be to capture all of them in high-definition sound from various viewing points around the space center, for free distribution. 

Hope you all enjoy.

For the tech geeks:  this was recorded using a pair of Neumann AK30 microphone capsules (omnidirectional), shock mounted, ran through a Grace Design Lunatec V3 preamp and analog-to-digital converter at 24-bit, 96kHz, recorded digitally into a M-Audio Microtrack II recorder (simply used as a "bit bucket"). 

See the attached photo of the actual recording taking place.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 01/22/2010 03:39 PM by mixologist07 »

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #20 on: 01/22/2010 04:25 PM »
This is a 24-bit, 96kHz high definition recording.  You'll need to download the .WAV file, and listen to it via iTunes or Quicktime, as long as it supports uncompressed 24-bit playback.  Large speakers are preferred as long as they have GREAT bass playback potential, but listening through headphones is very realistic.

http://www.archive.org/download/LaunchOfSpaceShuttleEndavourOnMissionSts-123/sts-123_launch_2496.wav
Interesting.  Thanks.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 10
  • Virginia
    • Max-Q Entertainment
« Reply #21 on: 01/22/2010 04:44 PM »
Very interesting.  That's about as close as you can get without being at the press site itself.  Thanks much for that clip, mixologist.  Crisp and clean through my headphones, time to try on my surround sound! :)
www.maxqent.com - Webmaster, Co-Production Coordinator

Online jstachowski

« Reply #22 on: 01/23/2010 04:27 AM »
Hi---

I've always been fond of the launch sounds of the Imax movies "Hail Columbia" and "The Dream Is Alive".  For some reason I like the laserdisc copy rather than DVD.  There is also a cd that was released "Liftoff! The Sounds of America's Space Shuttle Program".  All of these are cd quality.

Hope this helps!
Jerry Stachowski

Offline Mr.SpaceShuttle

• 3-2-1-and we have liftoff!
  • Riesa, Germany
« Reply #23 on: 03/10/2012 12:56 PM »
Hi folks,

no sorry, both of the offered Saturn V sounds from Dana are just not right! Especially, the Apollo 12 launch video clip has the sound from a much smaller rocket launch - like a Delta 2! The sound of a Saturn V launch has a much deeper frequency produced and you could hear the deep rumble much longer, because of the slower ascent of this rocket in result of it's own mass (approx. 3000 tons!).

If you guy's looking for real good rocket launch audio (including very good Space Shuttle launch audio recordings), then you have to go here:

http://www.archive.org/details/NasaAudioHighlightReels

or here:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=joe%20shambro%20AND%20collection:opensource_audio

But be warned and be careful with your own audio equipment, because many of these audio recordings can destroy loudspeakers in matter of the wide frequency range, if you play it to loud. Also you need speakers with a frequency range from 20Hz up to 25.000kHz to reproduce the right sound field at home. If you guy's want as close as the original sound was like, you would need loudspeakers or subwoofers which a 5Hz capacity. Than you would be able to feel the chest-thumping sound of such big rocket launches like the Space Shuttle or even the Saturn V!

Enjoy to listen to the sound - in my opinion it's most impressive with a good headphone. I really love that sound!!!

Volker (MisterLiftoff)
« Last Edit: 03/12/2012 11:57 AM by Mr.SpaceShuttle »
I love the sound of a space shuttle launch!

Offline Mark Dave

• Liked: 1
  • Ruined
« Reply #24 on: 03/11/2012 07:53 PM »
There is this vid of STS-135. You can even see at 0:44 the shcokwave hit the camera.

Offline SWGlassPit

• Liked: 11
« Reply #25 on: 03/11/2012 08:39 PM »
I've found that the videos on YouTube by user sumiom are of excellent audio quality.  The 135 launch matched pretty much exactly with what I remember hearing.  Use a subwoofer, and crank the volume up.  :)

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #26 on: 03/11/2012 09:59 PM »
Mark...that's how I remember the "sound" at the press site!
Excellent!!

Offline Mr.SpaceShuttle

• 3-2-1-and we have liftoff!
  • Riesa, Germany
« Reply #27 on: 03/12/2012 11:46 AM »
Hi folks again,

if you want to listen to good shuttle launch audio recordings, you should only use audio files with a high audio resolution! Files with 16bit/44kHz are ok, audio with 24bit/48kHz is good and sound with 24bit/96kHz is just the Best! Trust me, I've collect many audio files from various shuttle launches for many years! I've heared everything - from absolutely poor audio up to fantastic and crystal clear sound. For playback at home I using a superb Sennheiser headphone or my big Raveland loudspeakers with 400W each and a good frequency range from 18Hz up to 30.000Hz. With these big "babies" you can feel the deep rocket rumble in the stomach - lol! That's great!

By the way, such videos with static cameras are a little bit boring in my opinion - especially during such an (very dynamic) event, like a shuttle launch and the audio from these cam's are often poor too in matter of the built in mic's or the audio device from the cam is in auto-mode most of the time! So this isn't the right set for a recording or later the playback with real launch feeling at home.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 03/12/2012 11:48 AM by Mr.SpaceShuttle »
I love the sound of a space shuttle launch!

Offline Celebrimbor

• Regular
  • Liked: 5
  • Bystander
  • Bolton-upon-Dearne Space Centre, UK
« Reply #28 on: 03/12/2012 12:05 PM »
I listened to this quite a lot:

... and thanks for reminding me, I'm going to give it another go now :)
« Last Edit: 03/12/2012 12:05 PM by Celebrimbor »

Offline catdlr

• Liked: 129
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
« Reply #29 on: 03/15/2012 10:01 PM »
Another thread open up on this same subject.
Riding the Booster with enhanced sound
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28349.0
Tony De La Rosa

Tags: