Author Topic: Chinese company Landspace announces small sat launcher @ IAC 2016  (Read 3882 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2570
  • Likes Given: 852
As reported by NSF attendee Helo:

Chinese company Landspace introducing new all solid fuel 4 stage smallsat launcher. Handing out these cool metal USB thumb drives that contain the specifications, and probably open the door of your data networks to cyberespionage. ;)

The launcher appears to be based on the Long March 11. An article with more info at http://qz.com/791879/landspace-the-spacex-of-china-plans-to-commercially-launch-a-rocket-based-on-the-long-march-11/

Online Galactic Penguin SST

I have been looking at reports of private Chinese firms going into the launch market on Chinese forums lately, and......well let's say that I would put some of them in the same class as InterOrbital (i.e. going nowhere and just looks out for money). Even if not, the way that business works in China would make their life extremely difficult.

In fact, the most promising entry for a civilian Chinese rocket right now comes from......one of China's missile and defense development institutes that failed to get government money for their launch vehicle projects and use their own money to do so.  ::)
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline Comet

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 8

Offline Comet

Offline Comet

I have been looking at reports of private Chinese firms going into the launch market on Chinese forums lately, and......well let's say that I would put some of them in the same class as InterOrbital (i.e. going nowhere and just looks out for money). Even if not, the way that business works in China would make their life extremely difficult.

In fact, the most promising entry for a civilian Chinese rocket right now comes from......one of China's missile and defense development institutes that failed to get government money for their launch vehicle projects and use their own money to do so.  ::)

Following to that, I have read reports that Landspace is actually a "front-door company" for marketing the rocket for one of the big rocket-n'-missile institutes, which makes much more sense to me (just like how CASIC market their own rockets under the name of EXSPACE). It's not known who's behind that though, although one of the main investors of the company was involved in a previous start-up named "One Space".

Source
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Hmm....this company has received their 1st launch contract from, of all companies on Earth, GOMSpace of Denmark (apparently acting as an intermediary) in 2018: http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=33afd6b696325fc7896157d79&id=ad4f55f359

GOMSpace has flown at least 2 cubesats to space and has projects in co-operation with ESA, so at least the customer is legit. Strangely the target orbit is 500 km circular at <12 degree inclination - this sounds like a launch from Wenchang.  ::)

The problem is that I still find this company to be unreliable with them claiming a test launch of LS-1 within 2017 - I have yet to see any updates as to their development process so it doesn't look likely they are developing completely privately (especially in China). And if they are a "front door company" for one of the old Chinese aerospace institutions (see post above), then there are still not a faintest sign of hint about who's behind them.  ::)

So.....  :-X

Chinese source
« Last Edit: 01/13/2017 09:08 AM by Galactic Penguin SST »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 13
This is a converted icbm, like the US (OATK) Minotour family. What technology is there to develop and prove for Landspace-1?

This is a converted icbm, like the US (OATK) Minotour family. What technology is there to develop and prove for Landspace-1?

I'm not sure that it is a direct conversion. Some people are speculating that this might be a Long March 11 variant or spin-off, but I doubt it because CASC was reported to be making a spin-off company for smaller-sat launch services distinct from CGWIC a few months ago, and it's unrelated to Landspace.

The truth is that no-one really knows what they are up to unless they release more concrete news (but see KZ for another Chinese launcher that really flew below the news radar)...  :-X

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2570
  • Likes Given: 852

Offline Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 107
« Last Edit: 02/22/2017 04:30 PM by Liss »
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Online SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China
  • Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 164
Per ChinaSpaceflight, LS-1 solid rocket and LS-2 liquid rocket with reusable engines
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Online SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China
Per ChinaSpaceflight, LS-1 solid rocket and LS-2 liquid rocket with reusable engines
maybe I'm wrong :'( looks like LS-2 is also a conventional solid rocket...
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/m8Iszxc--QcE1uDOVBJiKw
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Online SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China
Apparently, LandSpace have began its liquid engine injector testing, mainly due to the difficulty of buying a solid engine from the state-own rocket company(the origin news LandSpace posted is deleted, just find a ChinaSpaceflight rehosting image)

Tags: