Author Topic: Beyond Earth: A Chronicle of Deep Space Exploration, 1958-2016  (Read 676 times)

Offline spaceman3

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 1
New NASA monograph on the history of robotic deep space exploration.

Both hard copies and e-book versions available:

https://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/beyond_earth_detail.html

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2892

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 5461
  • Likes Given: 685
No Russian probes on the front or back cover, as only operational deep space missions are shown. However, they could have showed RadioAstron, as its orbit reaches 338.5 thousand km and I believe is still operational.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2018 11:07 AM by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2892
No Russian probes on the front or back cover, as only operational deep space missions are shown. However, they could have showed RadioAstron, as its orbit reaches 338.5 thousand km and I believe is still operational.

It's a NASA publication. It's free. I believe the correct response is: "Thank you."

Offline GClark

• Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 5
I'll give a vote of thanks for this.

Having not had the chance to peruse it yet, I presume this is an update of his previous Deep Space Chronicle.

Offline gwiz

• Cornwall
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 2
Yes, an update which also has corrections to the original entries.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7517
  • Likes Given: 5293

It's a NASA publication. It's free. I believe the correct response is: "Thank you."
How is it free?  Everyone involved worked on it without pay and chipped in to cover the shipping and printing costs?

Might be free to the reader, but it's not free to the taxpayers. Hence, constructive criticism ought to be welcomed, not sneered at.  YMMV.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: