Author Topic: Air Force awards Rocket Propulsion agreement to Orbital ATK  (Read 10177 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 4677
  • Likes Given: 605
Re: Air Force awards Rocket Propulsion agreement to Orbital ATK
« Reply #40 on: 01/16/2016 06:33 AM »
They may not know how much thrust/ISP they're going to get out of the extensible nozzle.

That is relatively easy to determine once you have designed the basic engine. All you need to know is the new exit diameter and the other basic engine parameters. If I had that information, I can even work this out myself.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 435
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #41 on: 01/16/2016 06:29 PM »
That is relatively easy to determine once you have designed the basic engine. All you need to know is the new exit diameter and the other basic engine parameters. If I had that information, I can even work this out myself.
Who says they know the diameter and mass the extension will be able to achieve?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3324
  • Likes Given: 2084
« Reply #42 on: 01/17/2016 07:09 PM »

Who says they know the diameter and mass the extension will be able to achieve?

I sure hope they know the exact diameter and have a very specific mass target. This isn't guesswork here, c'mon.

Tags: