Author Topic: SWARM drones can scan any planet!  (Read 1486 times)

Offline lordvader357

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
SWARM drones can scan any planet!
« on: 12/29/2015 04:57 PM »
I alway have wondered why nobody sends drones to scan the planets.Why send useless rovers and robots?
Drones can scan every square centimeter of surface and even go to caves,craters,etc.
10000 drones fly at 400 meters distance between each other at 4-40 meters high. Thats mean they can cover 4000 km front every second. Between them radio LAN network, between their base,orbit station and Earth. These drones can give you extremely close ups. IMAX 3D video quality, 50 Mp still images, 40x optical zoom. If there is alien ship on mars you gonna see its serial number, if there is a water you will see each drop at slow motion. If there is a crater you will see its bottom. The drones which i propose dont have competition. Yet only rovers and humans are sent to pointless missions. Maybe there is a reason - NASA dont know the public to know what is really on the planets.

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: SWARM drones can scan any planet!
« Reply #1 on: 12/29/2015 05:12 PM »
  The scary s**t is this: what you are mentioning is not a distant future ADVANCED CONCEPT. The technology for some advanced-tech drone (maybe micro-cybernetic too) that is the size of the palm of your hand is ALREADY HERE!! And such small drones can be mass-produced in the BILLIONS. Look at the number of cellphones worldwide!

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #2 on: 12/29/2015 05:14 PM »
Maybe the reason is that most of our investigations are of places with way too little air pressure (or none like on the moon) to fly air-supported vehicles efficiently like you propose.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3586
  • Likes Given: 843
« Reply #3 on: 12/29/2015 10:38 PM »
How would these drones be powered? Solar? Most of the available power would go on staying aloft and there'd be less power for the instruments. In general, rovers either drive or do science - they don't do both at the same time. RTG? The one on Curiosity generates about 125 watts and has a mass of 45 kg. I don't think you could make that fly here on Earth. (I started looking up quadcopter math... oh boy.)

I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 370
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #4 on: 12/30/2015 01:04 AM »
How would these drones be powered? Solar? Most of the available power would go on staying aloft and there'd be less power for the instruments. In general, rovers either drive or do science - they don't do both at the same time. RTG? The one on Curiosity generates about 125 watts and has a mass of 45 kg. I don't think you could make that fly here on Earth. (I started looking up quadcopter math... oh boy.)

RF Broadcast power?

Offline MarsInMyLifetime

• Austin, TX
    • Light of Day
  • Liked: 132
  • Likes Given: 137
« Reply #5 on: 12/30/2015 02:27 AM »
See http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36629.0 for one proposal. And keep in mind the limitations such as not being able to drill or conduct seismic or soil sampling experiments very helpfully. Flying drones won't work on airless planets, of course.
Don

Tags: drones scan planet