Author Topic: Karlie Kloss photoshoot for WSJ at SpaceX Factory  (Read 11558 times)

Online RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 988
  • Likes Given: 761
Re: Karlie Kloss photoshoot for WSJ at SpaceX Factory
« Reply #20 on: 11/26/2015 12:46 AM »
I don't want to directly quote the original comment in case it gets deleted, but I would like to address any potential objectification concerns regardless of the OC's fate. 

First off, the people who frequent this forum are almost certainly staring at the Merlin engine and interstage first, and the woman second.

Secondly, Karlie Kloss has intentionally presented herself to be ogled at.  That's the whole point of being a model. Now if we had SpaceX factory photos with a female engineer (doing engineer stuff) in the shots and we were cat-calling her, then there would be a valid concern. 

Lastly, if you read the accompanying article, it is promoting female STEM education. She is actually using her considerable gifts at attracting the male gaze to help break the objectification of women. It is not hard to find examples of raw unfiltered sexism to critique while browsing the interwebs, but what we have here is simply not objectionable in the least - IMHO.

There's a Merlin engine there???     :P
She is standing on some sort of ladder cart thing, multiple merlin engines can clearly be visible at about 2:30. Is it wrong that I am more excited by the fancy rocket stuff then by the model?

No, it shows you are a realist.

Sure, Karlie is very attractive, but unless you are a popular movie star, pop star, big time fashion photographer, or as rich as Elon Musk, you will probably never meet a young model like her. However, you can take a trip to watch an F9 launch.

When I was an undergrad, there were some very attractive women in my physics classes. Grad students too. What was impressive wasn't their looks, but their intellect and confidence.

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #21 on: 11/26/2015 04:13 AM »
If you are working in STEM and want to help even the odds for minorities/women, I recommend you sign up to be a mentor at  http://mentornet.org. Here is an article about what they do:  http://m.fastcompany.com/3027635/tech-forecast/how-mentornet-plans-to-bring-diversity-to-tech-and-science-with-linkedins-help

Offline DanseMacabre

« Reply #22 on: 11/26/2015 10:43 AM »
If you are working in STEM and want to help even the odds for minorities/women, I recommend you sign up to be a mentor at  http://mentornet.org. Here is an article about what they do:  http://m.fastcompany.com/3027635/tech-forecast/how-mentornet-plans-to-bring-diversity-to-tech-and-science-with-linkedins-help

And for the Brits on this forum: http://www.stemnet.org.uk/

Offline Decius_Caecilius_Metellus

• Germany
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: 11/26/2015 12:08 PM »
Can it be that the black nose-cone shaped structure in the upper right at 1:50 is for the FH?
"The problem with quotes in the internet is that you never know whethter the source is right or not"- Abraham Lincoln

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 1674
« Reply #24 on: 11/26/2015 02:00 PM »
Can it be that the black nose-cone shaped structure in the upper right at 1:50 is for the FH?

That looks exactly like what it is, yes. Thanks for providing the time reference to it, too - watching a model talk about modeling overpriced clothing was just too tedious for me to make it through more than about 30 seconds worth of that video, even if it is on the SpaceX factory floor. (I'm sure most here remember Evanescence's 2004 hit, "Everybody's Fool.")
« Last Edit: 11/26/2015 02:01 PM by mvpel »
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Online chalz

• Austrangia
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 990
« Reply #25 on: 11/30/2015 12:22 AM »
Does SpaceX stop work on Sunday? That is how deserted it looks.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2631
  • Likes Given: 1661
« Reply #26 on: 11/30/2015 06:00 AM »

Is that a problem?  :o

Online chalz

• Austrangia
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 990
« Reply #27 on: 11/30/2015 01:15 PM »

Is that a problem?  :o
Certainly not but I thought it was an answer to how they got to film on the factory floor. Then I remembered stories of how demanding SpaceX could be and doubted myself.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 281
  • Likes Given: 434
« Reply #28 on: 11/30/2015 07:33 PM »

It was a planned WSJ magazine cover photo shoot. So factory floor should been cleared for the photo shoot (aka free publicity).

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #29 on: 11/30/2015 10:17 PM »
Still, though, this thread and forum is a sausage-fest and reading the comments here kind of explains why there aren't more women in STEM.

Anyone, female or male, that needs an attractive model to entice them to go into STEM, and rocketry in particular, may want to consider they are not cut out for it.

So many more silly innuendo's I'd like to toss into this thread with the hot model and Elon's big gnarly rocket....it hurts, it really hurts.

Tags: