Author Topic: LIVE: New Horizons Pluto FlyBy - July 14, 2015  (Read 111540 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1277
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: LIVE: New Horizons Pluto FlyBy - July 14, 2015
« Reply #300 on: 07/15/2015 08:33 PM »

Mass media will be thinking "we want cool images!"

I'm guilty of that sentiment too. I was moving around in my seat waiting for Stern and Co. to stop talking and show some images... (One eye-rolling comment was by that one scientist in charge of the Ralph camera who was describing the instrument and its capabilities--only to mention that its data wasn't even on the ground yet)

And even then, the only pic that really wowed me was the photo of Charon. Can't wait till that Pluto mosaic is complete!

How can be unimpressed by for the size of Pluto comparatively huge mountains of water ice.:)

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline nadreck

« Reply #302 on: 07/15/2015 09:00 PM »

I'm guilty of that sentiment too. I was moving around in my seat waiting for Stern and Co. to stop talking and show some images... (One eye-rolling comment was by that one scientist in charge of the Ralph camera who was describing the instrument and its capabilities--only to mention that its data wasn't even on the ground yet)

And even then, the only pic that really wowed me was the photo of Charon. Can't wait till that Pluto mosaic is complete!

How can be unimpressed by for the size of Pluto comparatively huge mountains of water ice.:)

Or those oddly puckered dimples!
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #303 on: 07/15/2015 09:10 PM »

It probably wouldn't be advisable to fall in them if they are vents of some type.

Someone's pointed out they look oddly reminiscent of the venting areas on Enceladus.
« Last Edit: 07/15/2015 09:16 PM by Star One »

Offline kch

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 8318
« Reply #304 on: 07/15/2015 09:32 PM »

It probably wouldn't be advisable to fall in them if they are vents of some type.

Someone's pointed out they look oddly reminiscent of the venting areas on Enceladus.

With a little attention to planning, such incidents can usually be pre-vented.  :)

Online Helodriver

• Liked: 4689
  • Likes Given: 495
« Reply #305 on: 07/15/2015 11:06 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the lack of impact craters indicates that the entire planetary surface sublimates and the planet is slowly evaporating like a giant comet. During perihelion, the planet is "active" and this creates the atmosphere detectable from earth. The tall mountains are areas of greater density that do not dissipate as quickly. Pluto is big enough that its gravity causes a lot of the ejected material to fall back on its surface as snow and move around creating and modifying surface features before eventually disappearing into space.

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #306 on: 07/15/2015 11:19 PM »
That's actually a very interesting hypothesis.

Keith

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #307 on: 07/15/2015 11:32 PM »

Heh, you're right-- That close-up shot of Pluto is ASTONISHING. To have huge mountains of water ice...well, if only the San Gabriel Mountains here in Southern California were made out of the same thing-- Water crisis (but not the drought itself) over! :)

(In hindsight, those water ice mountains would eventually become hills here in SoCal due to the huge L.A. population and the lack of raindrops and cool weather...but that topic is for another thread, or forum)
« Last Edit: 07/15/2015 11:39 PM by TheFallen »

Offline Star One

• UK
LIVE: New Horizons Pluto FlyBy - July 14, 2015
« Reply #308 on: 07/15/2015 11:33 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the lack of impact craters indicates that the entire planetary surface sublimates and the planet is slowly evaporating like a giant comet. During perihelion, the planet is "active" and this creates the atmosphere detectable from earth. The tall mountains are areas of greater density that do not dissipate as quickly. Pluto is big enough that its gravity causes a lot of the ejected material to fall back on its surface as snow and move around creating and modifying surface features before eventually disappearing into space.

I don't think there is any need at this time to start over reaching for alternative explanations for what is observed rather than accepting the more straight forward, and more likely explanation that Pluto has geological mechanisms for resurfacing itself.

We shouldn't fall into the trap that because Pluto & 67P have some vague similarities when looked at, that we end up reading too much into this and assume there is more than this superficial similarity between them.
« Last Edit: 07/15/2015 11:53 PM by Star One »

Offline Quindar

• Upper California
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #309 on: 07/15/2015 11:36 PM »
We must explore to find out just how ignorant we are and how lousy our assumptions are.
Some very interesting questions already and this will leave us wanting more data as blowing past at breakneck speed can only produce a finite amount of data and some weird stuff is going on way out yonder.
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1266
  • Likes Given: 1465
« Reply #310 on: 07/15/2015 11:51 PM »

That's quite reasonable.  But what it implies is that during Pluto's formation it was consistently further from the Sun than it is now, otherwise all those ices would never have been collected in the first place.  So we're looking at some major orbital shifts, if that's the case.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1266
  • Likes Given: 1465
« Reply #311 on: 07/15/2015 11:53 PM »

I don't think there is any need at this time to start over reaching for alternative explanations for what is observed rather than accepting the more straight forward, and more likely explanation that Pluto has geological mechanisms for resurfacing itself.

Any mechanism you can think of for resurfacing is just as much an over-reach as Helodriver's.  None of the usual suspects seem to be available as mechanisms for Pluto. It's going to have to be something unusual.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 440
  • Likes Given: 3260
« Reply #313 on: 07/16/2015 12:43 AM »
FYI: NOVA has a program on the New Horizons Mission coming up at the top of the hour on PBS (at least for Canada, I'm not sure what the American program timing is). It's called 'Chasing Pluto'.

(It was on another channel at 8pm my time. Had some nice graphics and background info, along with some photos we had already seen on some of the earlier pressers. Robert Pearlman was on it too, as was the group leaders.)

edit:

correction, these were actually two different programs. The earlier one I had briefly seen that had Robert Pearlman on it (while I was on the phone) was on the Discovery channel titled: "Pluto: First Encounter". It is repeated tonight & tomorrow morning. Some of the images were repeated, but others were unique.

The NOVA program was very well done, and included today's surface close-up!
« Last Edit: 07/16/2015 01:57 AM by robertross »
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #314 on: 07/16/2015 02:50 AM »
1.2 million miles from Pluto, slightly faster relative speed than during the flyby.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2340
« Reply #315 on: 07/16/2015 03:41 AM »
Took a bunch of photos from the events at APL on Tuesday, but then had to go back to work and couldn't follow this stuff here.

Anyway, before the evening press conference and the wait to see if they got a lock on the signal there was some entertainment outside the main auditorium at APL. Some of it was odd and had no connection to Pluto. For instance, they had magician David Blaine doing card tricks, and a paleontologist talking about a dinosaur he found (honestly, I have no idea). But they also had this guy, a photographer who took photos of the New Horizons team.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2340
« Reply #316 on: 07/16/2015 03:44 AM »
Here's the crowd in the auditorium giving a standing ovation after confirmation that they got a lock on the signal and the spacecraft was healthy. Mike Neufeld, who wrote the Wernher von Braun biography as well as a good history article on the Pluto mission selection is a few rows in front of me. I knew a whole bunch of people at this event and barely got to talk to any of them.

Offline DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #317 on: 07/16/2015 04:17 AM »
Still hard at work, Rex taking a scan of Pluto.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #318 on: 07/16/2015 10:24 AM »

FYI: NOVA has a program on the New Horizons Mission coming up at the top of the hour on PBS (at least for Canada, I'm not sure what the American program timing is). It's called 'Chasing Pluto'.

(It was on another channel at 8pm my time. Had some nice graphics and background info, along with some photos we had already seen on some of the earlier pressers. Robert Pearlman was on it too, as was the group leaders.)

edit:

correction, these were actually two different programs. The earlier one I had briefly seen that had Robert Pearlman on it (while I was on the phone) was on the Discovery channel titled: "Pluto: First Encounter". It is repeated tonight & tomorrow morning. Some of the images were repeated, but others were unique.

The NOVA program was very well done, and included today's surface close-up!

Thanks for that I believe NOVA is shown over here in the UK as well,

Offline TakeOff

• Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #319 on: 07/16/2015 10:47 AM »
Shouldn't three new Charon images be home about now?
ET 03:23 and 2 hours transfer time "First Look D"? When will they be public?

Tags: