Author Topic: Save Atlas 5A (56-6742) rocket from being scrapped - Campaign and Fundraiser  (Read 58198 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11063
  • Likes Given: 329
Something like this?

This is a "Lost Ottawa" picture from it's arrival in 1973. It looks to be about the right size for a legal road trailer.

Note the nozzles, conical vs bell shaped.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1784
  • Likes Given: 3387
But... how many of those trailers are still in existence?  They are sort of non-multi-purpose designs.

I'd guess the trailers are significantly more rare than intact Atlas missiles.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3785
  • Likes Given: 740
Something like this?

This is a "Lost Ottawa" picture from it's arrival in 1973. It looks to be about the right size for a legal road trailer.

Note the nozzles, conical vs bell shaped.
Atlas A was supposed to have two 150 Klbf booster engines, but I seem to remember Art LeBrun telling me once that the initial Atlas A's had conical 135 Klbf engines that were basically repurposed Navaho G38 booster engines, or at least thrust chambers and nozzles.  UPDATE:  HERE'S HIS QUOTE: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=14554.msg388219#msg388219
If these engines are still with this Atlas, they alone are crazy historic.

As for the transport trailers, I've seen a couple within the past decade.  One was at the Cape.  One was at USSRC and was later reportedly moved to Dayton.

Here are some Atlas A dimensions, for general information.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 04:05 AM by edkyle99 »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2901
  • Likes Given: 1
But... how many of those trailers are still in existence?  They are sort of non-multi-purpose designs.

I'd guess the trailers are significantly more rare than intact Atlas missiles.

And even if they exist, are they road-worthy? Do they have working brakes, lights, suspension? Have they been inspected? Are they rusted and structurally unsafe? They're at least 60+ years old.

I have no doubt that this Atlas could be moved to someplace that wanted it given enough time and money, but they're planning on scrapping it in a few weeks. And it is winter.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2015 03:18 AM by Blackstar »

Offline tea monster

• Across the Universe
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 51
Has anyone contacted the ULA? This is a part of thier heritage which is about to get scrapped. They might be interested in saving it.

The Smithsonian?

A complete long-shot, but has anyone thought of asking either Mr. Bezos or Mr. Musk? I ask this as they are people with a fair bit of money who are interested in space flight. It might be that they would want a bit of space history to own. Admittedly a BIG long shot, but might be worth trying to save this bird.

I am probably the least 'connected' member of this forum, but has anyone else on this board mentioned this to any of the people who could possibly intervene in this situation? It may be that they are not aware of the situation. It would be a terrible shame for someone to come forward after the missile is gone and say "I could have saved it if I'd known."

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
Here's a link to a newspaper picture of the collapsed Atlas missile
at the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio in 1986. (scroll up to view damage)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19860620&id=s85PAAAAIBAJ&sjid=-gYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4506,2122999

Story of AF museum Atlas missile collapse in 1986
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=QfJGAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dfMMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1450%2C2393998

Thanks for digging that up.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Herb Schaltegger

As for the transport trailers, I've seen a couple within the past decade.  One was at the Cape.  One was at USSRC and was later reportedly moved to Dayton.

Do you know when it was moved? It was still there the last time I was