Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2  (Read 2418451 times)

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1451
  • Likes Given: 2380
Re: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Discussion Thread 2
« Reply #3400 on: 04/24/2015 07:56 AM »
The web archive link of CAD files that I posted has MARMAC 300 and MARMAC 301 listed separately also MARMAC 400 has six CAD files under it but in ballast docs you can see they have only one MARMAC400 barge . So these different CAD files could just be of same model and there could be only one MARMAC 300 that was ever built.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 470
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #3401 on: 04/24/2015 08:26 AM »
To clarify: There is only one "Marmac 300" in existence - the one the ASDS JRtI is built on.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #3402 on: 04/24/2015 08:58 AM »
There appears to be no separate Go Quest discussion thread, so I'm posting this here. The current heading of Go Quest appears consistent with her taking up a position somewhere along the flight path of a launch from the Cape to GTO. If the first stage burnt to depletion, it wouldn't be possible to restart the center engine as it approaches the surface. But suppose you reserved just a little propellant....

And suppose some flight software geek stayed up late drinking Jolt and thus already has a patch for the valve stiction issue, and suppose you have a theory that the issue only shows up when the valve had been to space and back. Then conceivably you could test your stiction fix on this flight, even though the stage was doomed. All you would need is enough propellant to run the engine for a few seconds, and a way to get telemetry. But the stage impact location is below the horizon from the Cape. So ... you would send out a telemetry ship to get the data ... ?
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 09:02 AM by sdsds »
-- sdsds --

Offline kdhilliard

• Kirk
  • Tanstaa, FL
  • Liked: 295
  • Likes Given: 783
« Reply #3403 on: 04/24/2015 10:19 AM »
I just checked USCG website faq for 'Certification of documentation renewal' it is an annual process but I am not yet certain whether it is just a fee submission thing or needs vessel inspection or anything .

Yes, USCG registration is annual.. but this is a commercially-registered barge so I very much doubt it'd need to be registered with USCG also.  Still, if that's the way the system works over there I would expect it to be a paper 'fill in the form and pay your money' thing.

Vessel inspections cost big$$$ in both time and money and are not to be taken lightly..  the only vessels I'm aware of that require a full annual inspection are those carrying paying passengers.

I don't know how to link the results directly, but USCG Documentation information for Marmac 300, USCG Doc. No. 1063184, can be found via the NOAA Fisheries pages  Vessel Documentation Search By Name and Vessel Documentation Search By ID.  (ID = Documentation Number)

Annual Documentation renewal, via form CG-1280 costs US $26.00 and is independent of the Certification of Inspection.

The USGC CGMIX PSIX Search Page can be used to find more information, and it indicates that Marmac 300 does have a Certificate of Inspection, valid December 12, 2014 - December 12, 2015.  Note that searching by Vessel Number 1063184 brings up only the current information for the Research Vessel Marmac 300, but searching by Vessel Name Marmac 300 brings up an archived record for the Freight Barge Marmac 300, Vessel Number D1063184.  The vessel pages allow for a further search for a Summary of Coast Guard Contacts, the most recent being the October 30, 2014 Vessel Inspection, for which additional documentation was required (and subsequently provided) "attesting the approval by ABS of the following items: (a) Apron Extension, (b) Barge wing extension, (c) wing end cap assembly".

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #3404 on: 04/24/2015 11:01 AM »
This is awesome! If this coast guard database could be searched for keywords "HPU's" , "Wing extension"! OCISLY !

Edit: May be crawl it? Feed in names of huge barges and scrape their history?!
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 11:05 AM by Ohsin »

Offline Cretak

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3405 on: 04/24/2015 11:20 AM »
Spotted Elsbeth III and ASDS on the Juno Beach Webcam on their way south. :D

http://www.beachlive.com/beach-weather-cams/beach/juno-pier_24277

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #3406 on: 04/24/2015 11:25 AM »
Ooohh look at that :)

Edit:Passing Lake worth pier now.
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 03:07 PM by Ohsin »

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 449
« Reply #3407 on: 04/24/2015 03:07 PM »
Fascination comes into port tomorrow at 8pm.
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 03:09 PM by DatUser14 »
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline CJ

• Liked: 649
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #3408 on: 04/24/2015 09:40 PM »
They're south of Ft. Lauderdale now, which kills my theory they were just heading there for some spring break R&R.

Eugene Island, I think, refers to a undersea formation off Louisiana. (that's what google seems to think, anyway)

I wonder... could JRtI be heading for the shipyard it was converted at, for some major upgrades? I'm wondering if the CRX-6 results could have made SpaceX decide that they need a larger flight deck? 

On the other hand, seeing as how they have Elsbeth III on full time contract anyway, there is basically no reason not to take JRtI to Louisiana (or anywhere else) even if it's just for a paint job; the only trip cost would be fuel, which is inconsequential. 

I think we'll know a lot more regarding route and destination very soon, when they pass Key West.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2563
  • Likes Given: 531
« Reply #3409 on: 04/24/2015 09:59 PM »
there is basically no reason not to take JRtI to Louisiana (or anywhere else) even if it's just for a paint job;

Maybe they should wait until the rocket stops crashing into the barge before giving it a shiny new paint job.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 880
  • Likes Given: 910
« Reply #3410 on: 04/24/2015 10:12 PM »
Eugene Island, I think, refers to a undersea formation off Louisiana. (that's what google seems to think, anyway)

I wonder... could JRtI be heading for the shipyard it was converted at, for some major upgrades? I'm wondering if the CRX-6 results could have made SpaceX decide that they need a larger flight deck? 

I don't know what Eugene Island is but that Google Maps pointer that you saw is at the mouth of the Atchafalaya river which leads to the shipyard where the ASDS conversion was done.  And where NASA has taken its barge for conversion.  Not much chance of rondomosity in there.

On the other hand, seeing as how they have Elsbeth III on full time contract anyway, there is basically no reason not to take JRtI to Louisiana (or anywhere else) even if it's just for a paint job; the only trip cost would be fuel, which is inconsequential. 
Inconsequential is  I suppose quite subjective.  I'd guess it'll be somewhere in the ballpark of 10,000 gallons based on the posted factoid of 70,000 gallons to to a 400' barge from Norfolk to Seattle.  Not much money in the rocket game but more than I would care to pay.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7722
  • Likes Given: 5583
« Reply #3411 on: 04/25/2015 02:35 AM »
I just love this topic. This is the most detailed analysis of a barge I've ever seen.  Except you guys are slackers for not having found that CG info before this... I love how Marmac 300 blossomed from Freight *Barge* to Research *Vessel*

And that theory of sdsds.. super intruiging. How can it be disproven? (That's the test of a good hypothesis) :)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 880
  • Likes Given: 910
« Reply #3412 on: 04/25/2015 06:05 AM »
Odd thing just happened over here on my computer screen.  I was perusing the web site of Smith Maritime, the tug owner. On their contact page they list two physical locations.  One being Morgan City Louisiana, which is where the ASDS modifications were done (though by another company), which is something that I think we knew.  That location is the second one listed.  The first location listed on their contact page and the only one of the two that has a map is twenty miles south of the ASDS dock in Florida, on the same river.   ???   Not sure what to make of that.  And zooming in on that listed address I see a marina with a large number of sailboats and a garage sized building.  But that's probably not it, probably just a mild map error.  A few hundred yards north is a yard full of rusting steel, a single barge, and a decent sized industrial building which would seem more like what they'd need.  Or there is an area with a number of barges and cranes south of there but you can see in street view that there are other companies at work there.

What do you guys make of this?

http://www.smithmaritime.us/contact-us.php

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1898
  • Likes Given: 4456
« Reply #3413 on: 04/25/2015 06:29 AM »
There appears to be no separate Go Quest discussion thread, so I'm posting this here. The current heading of Go Quest appears consistent with her taking up a position somewhere along the flight path of a launch from the Cape to GTO. If the first stage burnt to depletion, it wouldn't be possible to restart the center engine as it approaches the surface. But suppose you reserved just a little propellant....

And suppose some flight software geek stayed up late drinking Jolt and thus already has a patch for the valve stiction issue, and suppose you have a theory that the issue only shows up when the valve had been to space and back. Then conceivably you could test your stiction fix on this flight, even though the stage was doomed. All you would need is enough propellant to run the engine for a few seconds, and a way to get telemetry. But the stage impact location is below the horizon from the Cape. So ... you would send out a telemetry ship to get the data ... ?

Interesting.  This assumes that the stage can survive reentry without the benefit of a retro-burn or that they'd have to save more propellant than you first proposed.  Would be worth it either way if they have enough performance margin.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline mattrog

Odd thing just happened over here on my computer screen.  I was perusing the web site of Smith Maritime, the tug owner. On their contact page they list two physical locations.  One being Morgan City Louisiana, which is where the ASDS modifications were done (though by another company), which is something that I think we knew.  That location is the second one listed.  The first location listed on their contact page and the only one of the two that has a map is twenty miles south of the ASDS dock in Florida, on the same river.   ???   Not sure what to make of that.  And zooming in on that listed address I see a marina with a large number of sailboats and a garage sized building.  But that's probably not it, probably just a mild map error.  A few hundred yards north is a yard full of rusting steel, a single barge, and a decent sized industrial building which would seem more like what they'd need.  Or there is an area with a number of barges and cranes south of there but you can see in street view that there are other companies at work there.

What do you guys make of this?

http://www.smithmaritime.us/contact-us.php

Not sure if im seeing the same thing - There is a large barge yard just south of the location .... However I did spot Google sat pic shows what looks like a a Shuttle tank just slightly north of that ... https://www.google.com/maps/@29.984679,-81.6552614,160m/data=!3m1!1e3

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #3415 on: 04/25/2015 10:10 AM »

Interesting.  This assumes that the stage can survive reentry without the benefit of a retro-burn or that they'd have to save more propellant than you first proposed.  Would be worth it either way if they have enough performance margin.

May be they are saving fuel by not performing boost back?

And guys any ideas about getting names of all big(say width more than 90' and length more than 250') ocean going barges in north America?

Edit:

Big yellow crane has moved forward a bit.
« Last Edit: 04/25/2015 11:20 AM by Ohsin »

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #3416 on: 04/25/2015 11:48 AM »
It so lonely there without our beloved drone ship  :(

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2563
  • Likes Given: 531
« Reply #3417 on: 04/25/2015 11:52 AM »
Elsbeth III now passing Florida Keys.

GO Quest is still out of range with a VesselFinder destination of "Offshore" and an ETA of Apr 27, so it seems member sdsds is correct in speculating that GO Quest will be collecting telemetry from the next launch.
« Last Edit: 04/25/2015 12:06 PM by Kabloona »

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 1631
  • Likes Given: 1958
« Reply #3418 on: 04/25/2015 12:48 PM »

All F9s recently have survived atmospheric entry. (?)
It's not quite impossible that coming in at considerably higher speed, with no boost-back, a very minimal reentry burn to a significantly higher entry speed might take comparatively little fuel compared to the 35(?) tons that the existing landing does.
I do wonder how much telemetry they've got of vehicle temperatures in that area, and how much margin there is in the existing one.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2056
  • Likes Given: 664
« Reply #3419 on: 04/25/2015 03:02 PM »
Even if it's not valve stiction they are testing, I'm sure SpaceX has other bits and bobs they could test after stage separation.  Maybe a new RCS system tweak, for better control authority, that they could test during stage 1 turnaround.  I think the hypothesis that Go Quest is on station to observe telemetry from a post-separation over-the-horizon test *of some kind* is a solid one.

Tags: