Author Topic: Antares ORB-3 Failure Discussion Thread  (Read 295961 times)

Offline JazzFan

• Florida
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Antares ORB-3 Failure Discussion Thread
« Reply #900 on: 04/14/2015 11:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/ColinDefense/status/588037901532995584

AJ-26 rocket engine failure caused by "excessive bearing wear in turbo pump” #FAA should get report “in days” Ronald Grabe EVP #OrbitalATK

FWIW AJ-26/NK-33 uses subcooled LOX as lubricant in certain places. So is this an issue with manufacturing, inspection, test, ... or FOD in lubricant?

Nice to see some results of investigation.

The next question is where will the results of the investigation lead?  ObitalATK has already moved on to another engine.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 356
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #901 on: 04/15/2015 02:45 PM »
It should be noted that the two most recent CATO events, SeaLaunch and Antares both used Yuzhmash tankage. In the case of SeaLaunch, FOD was the most likely culprit.

It is possible that RD-180 has operated so well due to the Lockheed tankage not producing any FOD.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10882
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #902 on: 04/15/2015 02:51 PM »

It is possible that RD-180 has operated so well due to the Lockheed tankage not producing any FOD.

No, since Lockheed has not been involved in producing tanks for more than 8 years

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 356
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #903 on: 04/15/2015 04:49 PM »

No, since Lockheed has not been involved in producing tanks for more than 8 years

Or whoever builds/integrates tanks for Atlas these days.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #904 on: 04/15/2015 06:55 PM »
I think the lawyers will end up deciding cause of this explosion. There is a lot of money at stake as somebody needs to wear cost of the AJ26 engines which are never going to fly.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2015/04/15/orbital-aerojet-rocketdyne-disagree-antares-explosion/

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2903
  • Likes Given: 2249
« Reply #905 on: 04/15/2015 07:41 PM »
Lawyers attempt to find for clients. Not the same as launch integrity/safety "proof". Can "win" for "wrong" reason.

NASA doesn't want to get pulled into this squabble. Might be a factor in CRS 2 though.

However, this dispute injures both companies irrespective of "who pays" as to customers/clients.

Neither needs distractions at the moment.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 462
« Reply #906 on: 04/15/2015 08:26 PM »
So Orbital and GenCorp had independent investigations? How is that at all permissible to FAA, NTSB or NASA?

Parties of a joint investigation could still register disagreement on conclusions, but everyone would at least have to go over their evidence together.

I'm assuming Orbital has reasons to believe it wasn't FOD, but the fact that Gencorp has a root cause and Orbital doesn't is suspicious.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3549
  • Likes Given: 715
« Reply #907 on: 04/15/2015 08:27 PM »
Both parties agree with the "excessive wear of turbopump bearings" as the final cause.  Aerojet has its own theory about FOD being the cause of that "excessive wear".  Either way, hasn't this investigation provided Orbital ATK with all the information it needs?  It isn't using those bearings again, but it can add more FOD prevention checks, or at least delve deeply into the question, in the future, just in case. 

For those wanting to blame the tank manufacturer or the launch processing, that doesn't explain the failure on the Stennis test stand.  Also, an engine can make its own "FOD".

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 04/15/2015 08:29 PM by edkyle99 »

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1056
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #908 on: 04/16/2015 04:16 AM »
Both parties agree with the "excessive wear of turbopump bearings" as the final cause.  Aerojet has its own theory about FOD being the cause of that "excessive wear".  Either way, hasn't this investigation provided Orbital ATK with all the information it needs?  It isn't using those bearings again, but it can add more FOD prevention checks, or at least delve deeply into the question, in the future, just in case. 

For those wanting to blame the tank manufacturer or the launch processing, that doesn't explain the failure on the Stennis test stand.  Also, an engine can make its own "FOD".

- Ed Kyle
Apparently Russian authorities and industry will be notified of the findings since heritage components were identified as involved are in use on NK-33A on Soyuz 2.1v. RKTs Progress has already performed additional inspections as a precaution on already manufactured first stages. The results of the final investigation will be incorporated into readiness review for the next Soyuz 2.1v scheduled to launch. No delays are needed at this time. corrective actions will be performed as needed.

Offline MarekCyzio

« Reply #909 on: 04/17/2015 06:34 PM »
Looks like AviationWeek got their hands on the report:
http://aviationweek.com/space/questions-remain-antares-explosion-investigation

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
« Reply #910 on: 04/17/2015 08:42 PM »
How do you get to that conclusion?  It looks like they heard Grabe talk at Space Symposium.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #911 on: 04/21/2015 12:18 AM »

- Ed Kyle

But wasn't the failure on the  Stennis stand a failure of a pipe vs a turbo pump RUD?

If the tank is creating FOD a change of engines may not eliminate future problems.

Online SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 326
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #912 on: 04/21/2015 02:57 PM »
As I recall, the FOD in question wasn't really made by the tank, it was supposedly dessicant used to protect the tank in shipping and storage that should have been removed before it was ever filled up.

Offline ZachS09

« Reply #913 on: 04/27/2015 02:23 PM »
I still can't get over the fact that Orb-3 exploded! I was expecting it to be a successful launch like the last four were, but it just blew up! I understand the cause of why the mission failed, but I have never seen anything like this on live TV. It's just haunting!
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #914 on: 04/29/2015 12:18 AM »
Same here I was expecting Antares launches to become relatively routine as the first four launches were flawless.

Though from a failure and redundancy standpoint two is not the best number of engines to have in the first stage.

« Last Edit: 04/29/2015 12:28 AM by Patchouli »

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 462
« Reply #915 on: 04/29/2015 05:58 AM »
Same here I was expecting Antares launches to become relatively routine as the first four launches were flawless.

Though from a failure and redundancy standpoint two is not the best number of engines to have in the first stage.

Very few rockets will have the performance to deal with engine out at T +12s.

Of course if the explosion frags the rocket it doesn't matter.

Tags: