Author Topic: World View (balloon rides to the edge of space)  (Read 19604 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 4791
  • Likes Given: 623
Re: World View (balloon rides to the edge of space)
« Reply #40 on: 01/03/2018 06:28 AM »
Ignition perhaps from static electricity?
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #41 on: 01/12/2018 06:37 PM »
World View is testing manned near-spaceflight systems, according to Twitter account of the  company:

"Not a bad day at the office, @Astro_Ron! Doing some flight testing on aerodynamic descent systems for Voyager and the Stratollite!"
« Last Edit: 01/12/2018 06:38 PM by Svetoslav »

Offline JQP

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 33
World View raises money to take people to the edge of space in high-altitude balloons

That is a lot of talking without mentioning altitude more than once. I'm guessing they don't talk altitude because they're never gonna get anyone near LEO, but that's just my cynical side talking.

Because if you could get near LEO with balloons, that would be the way to go, down the road. Just float up until you're high enough that a tug could grab you and tow you the rest of the way. And I think I would've heard by now, if balloons were gonna replace rockets.

I suppose I'm objecting to this use of the term, "the edge of space" in the headline.

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 218
  • Likes Given: 54
While I share your skepticism about balloons to space, those are a lot of strawmen in a single post.

World View intends to use what it learns from Stratollite to launch people in another balloon-lifted craft called Voyager. "We will be flying people in the future but I'd like us to have 100 or more Stratollite flights under our belt first," Poynter said.

Stratollite can fly commercial payloads the size of a small bus to 150,000 feet of altitude, making it possible to quickly and steadily provide services such as weather forecasting, military surveillance or disaster recovery.

Why do they have to say more than this? They're saying the Voyager craft is a long way down the road. So why bother giving specifics of the next craft if they're still tweaking the design of their current craft?

Secondly, LEO is a velocity rather than an altitude. You'd either need a cable that is long and resilient enough to mitigate several km/s difference in speed so the payload and tug survive, a rotovator, or a rocket stage (not a space tug) like zero2infinity:

Thirdly, given the difficulty of the above, this thing would compete with suborbital tourist rockets like LauncherOne or New Shepard. We still have to see what altitude LauncherOne will eventually be able to achieve. But the important metric here might be price/time spent on said altitude. If you can see something close to 'the black of space', the curvature of the earth, the edge of the atmosphere above the horizen, and what not, and for far longer than the time needed to catch your breath from a few g's of accelleration, that might be enough for tourists to open their wallets.

Offline JQP

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 33
Why do they have to say more than this?

Because the headline said "the edge of space." Which it ain't.

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 218
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #45 on: 03/31/2018 10:45 PM »
Well, that's main stream media for you. Hyperbole, hyperbole, hyperbole. They do this for LauncherOne, which doesn't go a lot higher, as well.  And basically for anything space-related. Or rather: for everything, full stop.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2721
  • Likes Given: 1638
« Reply #46 on: 03/31/2018 10:52 PM »
Well, that's main stream media for you. Hyperbole, hyperbole, hyperbole. They do this for LauncherOne, which doesn't go a lot higher, as well.  And basically for anything space-related. Or rather: for everything, full stop.

I think you mean SpaceShipTwo.  LauncherOne is supposed to go a bit higher.

Tags: