Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX CRS-4 Dragon - RNDZ, Berthing, ISS Ops - UPDATES  (Read 75354 times)

Offline chamann

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 17
Howard Eisen ‏@hjeisen  1m
Attached!!  #RapidScat  #EarthRightNow

Offline chamann

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 17
natilight_
4 hours ago · NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Our RapidScat ops team has been hard at work since the wee hours as the installation of the firsts half of the instrument gets installed on the Columbus module of the International Space Station. Tonight the second half will be mated, so exciting!

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3359
  • Likes Given: 1138
DEXTRE was looking into the trunk before loss of signal...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
DEXTRE is moving towards the end of Columbus with Rapidscat.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
DEXTRE has let go, looks like it's installed

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Just had a brilliant overhead pass of ISS as it sped right under Orion's belt :)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Image of Rapidscat nadir in contact with station.

couple of in work screen grabs for space pete

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Space Pete

Image of Rapidscat nadir in contact with station.

couple of in work screen grabs for space pete

Heh, thanks! :)

I do like that FRAM 90-degree adapter - could be useful for other payloads methinks.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=84513&src=eoa-iotd

Barely two weeks after its launch and two days after its installation, the International Space Station-Rapid Scatterometer (ISS-RapidScat) captured this view of the wind field around a tropical storm. Built from spare hardware from the QuikScat satellite mission, the new instrument will contribute to global monitoring of ocean winds. The data can be used to improve weather and marine forecasting and climate modeling.

A scatterometer uses radar reflections to calculate ocean surface wind speeds and directions. The instrument sends pulses of high frequency radio waves toward the water surface and observes the reflections as they bounce from different angles. Waters roughened by winds and waves give off more intense signals than calm, flat waters.

ISS-RapidScat was launched into space on September 21 on a SpaceX Dragon spacecraft, and it was unpacked and assembled with the space station’s robotic arm on September 29–30. It was powered up on October 1 to start several weeks of calibration and checkout activities. Right away, nature provided an immediate opportunity in the form of tropical storm (now hurricane) Simon, which has been churning the seas off the west coast of Mexico.

The map above shows preliminary, un-calibrated measurements of wind speed and direction at 7:10 p.m. local time on October 3, 2014 (0210 Universal Time on October 4). Arrows show the direction of winds at the ocean surface, while colors show the estimated speed. (One meter per second equals approximately 2.24 miles per hour.) Light gray areas are ocean, while dark gray is land.

“Most satellite missions require weeks or even months to produce data of the quality that we seem to be getting from the first few days of RapidScat,” said project scientist Ernesto Rodriguez of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. “We have been very lucky that within the first days of operations we have already been able to observe a developing tropical cyclone.”

The image below shows Hurricane Simon as it appeared in the late morning on October 5, 2014. The natural-color image was acquired by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA's Terra satellite.

Offline Joffan

quoted across from the launch thread...

October 20, 2014

NASA TV Coverage Set for U.S. Cargo Ship’s Departure from International Space Station

After delivering almost 5,000 pounds of supplies and experiments to the International Space Station during a month-long stay, the SpaceX Dragon cargo spacecraft is set to leave the orbital laboratory on Saturday, Oct. 25.

The Dragon spacecraft is scheduled to detach from the Earth-facing side of the station's Harmony module and unberth through commands sent by robotic ground controllers in mission control at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston operating the Canadarm 2 robotic arm. Mission control will maneuver Dragon into place then turn it over to Expedition 41 robotic arm operators Reid Wiseman and Barry Wilmore of NASA for release, which is scheduled for 9:56 a.m. EDT.

NASA Television will provide live coverage of Dragon's departure beginning at 9:30 a.m.

Space station and SpaceX officials delayed Dragon’s departure four days from the originally scheduled date of Oct. 21 because of high sea states in the splashdown and recovery zone west of Baja California.

Dragon is the only space station resupply spacecraft able to return to Earth intact. It will return about 3,276 pounds of cargo, including science samples from human research, biology and biotechnology studies, physical science investigations and education activities sponsored by NASA and the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space, the nonprofit organization responsible for managing research aboard the U.S. national laboratory portion of the space station.

Dragon will execute three thruster firings to move away from the station to a safe distance for its deorbit burn at 2:43 p.m. The capsule will splash down in the Pacific Ocean around 3:39 p.m. Neither the deorbit burn nor the splashdown will broadcast on NASA TV.

Dragon launched on the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida on Sept. 21 on the company’s fourth commercial resupply mission to the station. It arrived at the station Sept. 23.

For NASA TV schedule and video streaming information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

For more information about the International Space Station, and its research and crews, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station

For more information about the mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/spacex

Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Wx forecast for Dragon recovery.  7-9 foots seas, 11 feet highest.  Near the limits.  Recovery boat has left dock

Offline Chris Bergin

New thread a little later today.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
The crew is currently closing the hatch. On a humorous note they asked if they were supposed to turn the lights out first, which they did not.  CAPCOM reported that can be done from ground.  Interesting because normally the light fixtures (GLAs) are removed from the visiting vehicles for use aboard the US segment...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography