Author Topic: SpaceX Dragon V2 Updates and Discussion  (Read 667296 times)

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
Re: SpaceX Dragon V2 Updates and Discussion
« Reply #840 on: 09/12/2015 03:33 pm »
I wonder if a few controlls, including a joystick, won't end up mounted on the armrests of the command couches.
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 968
« Reply #841 on: 09/12/2015 07:12 pm »
Beautiful and simple. A 21st century looking capsule.

As for the control systems design and UI, they now have their full mission simulation with hardware-in-the-loop, up and running. They've got a shuttle veteran (Garett) and now 4 NASA Astronauts integrating into the training program. They'll simulate hundreds of different emergency mission permutations and will iterate on the screen UI design accordingly as well as any hardwired switches and controls. But Dragon is first and foremost meant to be a fully autonomous vehicle with minimum human interaction needed. But the right balance will be struck. Great progress though.
« Last Edit: 09/12/2015 07:13 pm by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1309
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #842 on: 09/13/2015 10:03 pm »
So I want to say "AHA!" here, because I remember commenting about the safety of the interior way back, as it seemed rather bare and exposed with those isogrid hexagons posing a potential injury hazard for any free-floating astronaut who bonked into them.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36738.msg1361949#msg1361949

Some of you disagreed with me, but now with the new interior shots we can all see the improvements. This is what the interior of a manned space capsule should look like, and not have any exposed jagged or sharp edges that can injure someone. Even though you may be strapped in most of the time, there will be times (embarkation/disembarkation) when you are not, and that's when that softer/smoother interior can help to avoid unnecessary bruises.
« Last Edit: 09/13/2015 10:09 pm by sanman »

Offline andrewsdanj

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #843 on: 09/14/2015 11:14 am »
Just as a small aside, am I the only one getting visions of the starship Heart of Gold?

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #844 on: 09/14/2015 01:33 pm »
I wonder if a few controlls, including a joystick, won't end up mounted on the armrests of the command couches.

Or use gesture recognition.

Or even Electromyographic signals (EMG) which "are noninvasively sensed from the muscles used to perform these
gestures".

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #845 on: 09/14/2015 01:36 pm »
It is interesting that NASA was just the other day touting the capability for CST-100 to swap cargo and crew. Wouldnt Crew Dragon have this same capability? The video seems to show the standard ISS config with 4 seats and 2 cargo pallets. I imagine they could easily remove seat 4 and have the whole lower portion for cargo.

I see 5 seats

I see 5 seats too, but the lower one misses the legs' rest.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #846 on: 09/14/2015 01:51 pm »
It is interesting that NASA was just the other day touting the capability for CST-100 to swap cargo and crew. Wouldnt Crew Dragon have this same capability? The video seems to show the standard ISS config with 4 seats and 2 cargo pallets. I imagine they could easily remove seat 4 and have the whole lower portion for cargo.

I see 5 seats

I see 5 seats too, but the lower one misses the legs' rest.

The tourist seat!

ISS crew rotation = 4 seats.

5th seat to be sold to aspiring space tourists :)

More realistically, the "lower slots" for the remaining 3 seats are demonstrating the configuration options - one is a seat, two others show (I guess) some kind of attachment points for cargo.

Now all we need is a SpaceX website where you can kit out your own Dragon 2 configuration and specify the number of seats, if you want leather seats (optional extra), in-flight entertainment system and... On the upside, satnav is at least a standard option! :D

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #847 on: 09/14/2015 02:15 pm »
So I want to say "AHA!" here, because I remember commenting about the safety of the interior way back, as it seemed rather bare and exposed with those isogrid hexagons posing a potential injury hazard for any free-floating astronaut who bonked into them.

Some of you disagreed with me, but now with the new interior shots we can all see the improvements. This is what the interior of a manned space capsule should look like, and not have any exposed jagged or sharp edges that can injure someone. Even though you may be strapped in most of the time, there will be times (embarkation/disembarkation) when you are not, and that's when that softer/smoother interior can help to avoid unnecessary bruises.

They aren't 'improvements".  It is unnecessary. The isogrid hexagons are not  potential injury hazard, many spacecraft have flown that way.    So PR and look is more important than function to you?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #848 on: 09/14/2015 02:21 pm »

That's what macros are for. 

This thing is supposed to fly itself. Active control is a backup mode.

Meh.   macros are not cure all.  Punching a touch screen will not work.  A 2d surface does not translate into 3 axis.  Crew will have to take eyes off target to reposition hand.  There will be a joystick for backup

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 981
« Reply #849 on: 09/14/2015 04:28 pm »

Or use gesture recognition.

Or even Electromyographic signals (EMG) which "are noninvasively sensed from the muscles used to perform these
gestures".

So, maybe sensing sudden loss of sphincter control could automatically trigger an abort?
« Last Edit: 09/14/2015 04:29 pm by philw1776 »
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline chipguy

• Ottawa Canada
  • Liked: 97
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #850 on: 09/14/2015 04:51 pm »

They aren't 'improvements".  It is unnecessary. The isogrid hexagons are not  potential injury hazard, many spacecraft have flown that way.    So PR and look is more important than function to you?

Is there potential for excessively hot or cold surface hazard from accidentally touching the bare metal pressure
vessel with exposed skin after being on orbit for a while?

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 296
  • Likes Given: 389
« Reply #851 on: 09/14/2015 06:40 pm »
Now all we need is a SpaceX website where you can kit out your own Dragon 2 configuration and specify the number of seats, if you want leather seats (optional extra), in-flight entertainment system and... On the upside, satnav is at least a standard option! :D

I want the executive seating option and maximum plaid upgrade.

Offline bocephus419

• Liked: 7
« Reply #852 on: 09/23/2015 07:21 am »
A little late to the game here, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the apparent removal of the center window.

Quote from: http://www.spacex.com/crew-dragon
Crew Dragon was designed to be an enjoyable ride. With four windows, passengers can take in views of Earth, the Moon, and the wider Solar System right from their seats, which are made from the highest-grade carbon fiber and Alcantara cloth.

Offline leaflion

• United States
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #853 on: 09/23/2015 07:46 am »
"deorbit now" button!  :D
Given the seemingly urgent nature of this button, could SuperDracos be used for this deorbit burn, in theory?

Deorbit now button right next to the depressurize button.  Hopefully the buttons are a little bit bigger than the keys on my iPhone...

Using any of those controls during the high-gee portions of launch and reentry would be quite a workout.  Hopefully you don't need them.

Offline MP99

« Reply #854 on: 09/23/2015 08:26 am »
Hopefully with "Are you sure? Y/N".

Cheers, Martin

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #855 on: 09/23/2015 09:44 am »
They need a red, glowing eye in the middle of the control panel, and some rotating 3D status displays with big three-letter IDs, like ATM, PWR, NUC and so forth. And the crew should be in airline uniforms, with hats, and the stewardess should have a huge soft white egg on her head. And she should hand out a souvenir pen to the bored, sleepy passenger, subtly slipping it into his top pocket. Hey, don't disagree - this is the commercial flight to a space station we've been waiting for!

Just ignore any warnings about defective AE35 units and nothing could possibly go wornggggg...
« Last Edit: 09/23/2015 09:44 am by Bob Shaw »

Offline Dante80

• Athens : Greece
  • Liked: 835
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #856 on: 09/23/2015 10:04 am »
They need a red, glowing eye in the middle of the control panel, and some rotating 3D status displays with big three-letter IDs, like ATM, PWR, NUC and so forth. And the crew should be in airline uniforms, with hats, and the stewardess should have a huge soft white egg on her head. And she should hand out a souvenir pen to the bored, sleepy passenger, subtly slipping it into his top pocket. Hey, don't disagree - this is the commercial flight to a space station we've been waiting for!

Just ignore any warnings about defective AE35 units and nothing could possibly go wornggggg...

I'm pretty sure btw that SpaceX will try to have easter eggs on the control panel. Something like a button combination brings out a huge SCE to AUX button on the screen.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #857 on: 09/23/2015 02:12 pm »
Hopefully with "Are you sure? Y/N".

Cheers, Martin
The big "execute" is the confirmation
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline bocephus419

• Liked: 7
« Reply #858 on: 09/23/2015 08:19 pm »
Just to reiterate for those who are making Dragon 2 graphics out there, the center window is gone.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #859 on: 09/23/2015 10:36 pm »
A little late to the game here, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the apparent removal of the center window.

Quote from: http://www.spacex.com/crew-dragon
Crew Dragon was designed to be an enjoyable ride. With four windows, passengers can take in views of Earth, the Moon, and the wider Solar System right from their seats, which are made from the highest-grade carbon fiber and Alcantara cloth.

Sure looks like a window in that picture, though. We'll have to wait and see if that "four windows" comment was an oversight, or if it is indeed the new situation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography