Author Topic: #Apollo45: Buzz Aldrin asks "Where were you?"  (Read 5569 times)

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 4
#Apollo45: Buzz Aldrin asks "Where were you?"
« on: 07/08/2014 03:20 PM »
Buzz Aldrin asks 'Where were you?' when Apollo 11 landed on the moon
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-070814a-buzz-aldrin-apollo45-campaign.html

Where were you when the first astronauts landed on the moon 45 years ago this month and how did that achievement inspire you?

Buzz Aldrin wants to know.

The Apollo 11 astronaut, who with Neil Armstrong became the first men to walk on the moon on July 20, 1969, has launched a social media campaign to remind people of the lunar landing and encourage them to share their memories of the historic event or how Apollo 11 inspired them.

"The whole word celebrated our landing but we missed the whole thing, because we were out of town," Aldrin remarks in a video introducing the campaign. "So now, I invite you to share with me, and the world, your story or your family's story of where you were on July 20, 1969. Or feel free to tell me how the Apollo missions inspired you."

The public can share their stories through YouTube, or on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Instagram with the hashtag #Apollo45. A YouTube channel for the campaign has also been created at www.youtube.com/Apollo45.

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 203

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1676
Re: #Apollo45: Buzz Aldrin asks "Where were you?"
« Reply #2 on: 07/12/2014 06:47 PM »
I was unconcieved in 1969, but it still inspired me into a career in technology.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: 07/13/2014 01:31 AM »
I was five year old and find out about Lunar Landing only within couple of years.
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline wholmeswa

• Wayne Holmes
  • Seattle, WA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 47
#Apollo45: Buzz Aldrin asks "Where were you?"
« Reply #4 on: 07/13/2014 04:46 AM »
Watched the landing on CBS. To this day I remember the descent alarms and Cronkite's reaction when they finally were able to make the Tranquility Base call.
« Last Edit: 07/13/2014 04:47 AM by wholmeswa »

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 480
  • Likes Given: 403
« Reply #5 on: 10/18/2014 10:36 AM »
Much to my eleven-year-old frustration, my parents decided we were all going to the lake that day.  I tried to find somebody there with a television, but couldn't.  And then the moon-walk was after my mandatory bed-time.

It didn't help that my parents didn't share my enthusiasm.  Perhaps they were bored of how much I had been saying in recent months about the moon program...
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #6 on: 10/19/2014 03:20 AM »
I tip my hat to all those involved in Apollo, but hardly existed before Apollo-17 The space shuttle missions were usually great, though. Damn, I have tip my hat again...

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #7 on: 10/19/2014 02:27 PM »
I was conceived some point between it and woodstock, then born a few days after the first Earth Day, some 13 days after the bang on Apollo 13.

A fair amount happened in those 9 months.

And somehow everyone always forgets Apollo 12...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 480
  • Likes Given: 403
« Reply #8 on: 10/19/2014 06:29 PM »
And somehow everyone always forgets Apollo 12...
But why?  That was one great photo-op, standing next to the Surveyor lander.  And it was our first view of a real crater from ground level.

Every mission one-upped the previous ones, going to steadily more and more interesting places, staying longer and going further afield.  Those were exciting times.  The biggest problem with Apollo 13 was the stand-down afterwards, but as with every stand-down in those days, good things came of it.  The two Shuttle hiatuses reeked of people covering their tails in comparison, and had little visible result except to limit what they would do with the STS.
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline scienceguy

• Regular
  • Lethbridge, Alberta
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #9 on: 10/20/2014 12:56 AM »
I wasn't born yet, but it inspired me later as I played with space Lego.
e^(pi)i = -1

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #10 on: 10/20/2014 01:30 AM »
I wasn't born yet, but it inspired me later as I played with space Lego.
+1 for saying the correct thing!
Lego
and not Legos

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 2733
« Reply #11 on: 10/20/2014 06:17 AM »
Apollo and I had a very close relationship.

When Apollo began flying, I was an adolescent, not yet a teenager.  I turned into a teenager before the first manned Apollo flight landed.  (I just turned 59 last Friday; you can do the math.)

I was 13 years old from the time of the first manned flight to the Moon until after the first manned lunar landing.  (More about that in a minute.)

I turned 15 in 1970, and so was 15 years old when Apollo 15 flew in July of 1971.  By the time Apollo 16 flew, I had turned 16.  And for Apollo 17, I had just turned 17 six weeks before it lifted off.

Like I say, Apollo and I had a close relationship.

In July of 1969, I was 13, lived at home with my parents, and neither myself nor anyone in my extended family were dealing with one-parent homes (though I did have a half-brother from my father's first marriage, but he rarely visited, so the specter of the one-parent family was nearly unknown to me.)  I was, of course, home for summer vacation that July, and was up at about 4 am that Wednesday morning to watch the launch.  Back then, the TV stations stopped broadcasting around midnight, and came back on the air around 6 am.  The local ABC station came on at five that morning and started right in the launch coverage.  I watched ABC until 6, when Uncle Walter came on as the CBS affiliate took to the air.  (I grew up in central Illinois, so the launch was at 8:32 my time that morning.)

The launch came and went, and I insisted the TV had to be on whenever I was awake in case of any coverage breaking in to the regular programming (which did happen for some of the more impromptu TV broadcasts).  I remember eating fried chicken from the tiny hot foot counter at our local IGA food store one evening, while watching a live broadcast of the blue-and-white-marble Earth as Eleven headed away from us and towards the Moon.

I recall sitting in a favorite rocking chair the afternoon of July 20.  I can still recall the feel of the texture of the chair's upholstery and the aroma of food cooking.  My mother's parents were coming to visit (My Grandma and Grandpa) later that day, and would be there to watch the moon walk with us.  But they hadn't arrived yet by the mid-afternoon, so I watched the landing with my Dad and my brother, my Mom running down from the kitchen to watch right as they landed.

I remember sitting in a darkened family room, with only the old lamp (we called it the TV lamp) that sat atop the console TV set and the TV tube itself giving light to the room.  Not satisfied to sit back in the rocking chair, I was lying on the carpeted floor staring at the old round-tube color TV screen as the shadowy, ghostly image of Neil Armstrong became visible, slowly coming down the ladder.

I can recall my Dad, not normally much of a philosophical man by nature, say to the assembled family -- three generations of family that stretched back to the 19th century all sitting in the same room -- "Remember this.  This is history."

And then, as actually photographed on the actual TV set I was staring at, at the exact time I am describing, came this...

« Last Edit: 10/20/2014 06:22 AM by the_other_Doug »
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #12 on: 10/20/2014 12:23 PM »
Well, XKCD managed to get into the act today:
http://xkcd.com/1436/
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 186
  • Likes Given: 162
« Reply #13 on: 10/21/2014 01:45 AM »
I remember my family in our den on the evening of July 20th.  I could not and would not leave my spot sitting on the floor looking at our black and white TV.  I had to see every moment.  We were watching CBS listening to Walter Cronkite as the images progressed.  Nobody said much.  I was mesmerized.  I knew at that moment I wanted to be an engineer.  I wanted to design things that made a difference in the world.  It was the most inspiring moment in my life.  Nothing has ever matched it.  I want us to go back to the Moon to stay.  I want us to spread throughout the solar system.  I have felt since I was ten years old watching that magical moment forty five years ago that it is our destiny.

Tags: