Author Topic: SpaceX: Dragon V2 Unveil - Discussion/Party Thread.  (Read 169042 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 5460
Here we go folks!

Now converted to discussion, party thread, based on the excitement. Link to the actual event update thread shortly.

***MEDIA ADVISORY***

SpaceX CEO & Chief Designer Elon Musk to Unveil Dragon V2 Spacecraft

WHO:                    Elon Musk, CEO & Chief Designer, SpaceX

WHAT:                  Mr. Musk will introduce SpaceX’s new Dragon V2 spacecraft, a next generation spacecraft designed to carry astronauts into space.

WHERE:                SpaceX, 1 Rocket Road, Hawthorne, CA, 90250.

WHEN:                 Thursday, May 29. Check in begins at 6:00 p.m. PT; event begins at 7:00 p.m. PT.

Due to International Trade and Arms Regulations, this event is open to U.S. Citizens and Green Card holders only.  (Funny, as the title of the e-mail was "You're invited!" Boooooo! Not that I can afford the flight ;D)

For those who cannot attend in person, this event will also be webcast LIVE at www.spacex.com/webcast.

While I'm here. Here's our collection of recent Dragon articles:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/dragon/

Remember, we have lots of Dragon threads on here. Best to keep this one as clear as possible until the event.
« Last Edit: 05/29/2014 04:50 PM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 163
Re: SpaceX: Dragon V2 Unveil - Discussion/Party Thread.
« Reply #1 on: 05/27/2014 10:26 PM »
Due to International Trade and Arms Regulations, this event is open to U.S. Citizens and Green Card holders only.  (Funny, as the title of the e-mail was "You're invited!" Boooooo! Not that I can afford the flight ;D)

For those who cannot attend in person, this event will also be webcast LIVE at www.spacex.com/webcast.

Is there a reason why, given that the event will be webcast (presumably worldwide), physical attendance is limited to US citizens and Green Card holders? This does not make a lot of sense to me.

I can only assume that some information will be restricted to the attendants, and will not be webcast.

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 158
« Reply #2 on: 05/27/2014 10:30 PM »

Is there a reason why, given that the event will be webcast (presumably worldwide), physical attendance is limited to US citizens and Green Card holders? This does not make a lot of sense to me.

I can only assume that some information will be restricted to the attendants, and will not be webcast.

Probably facility restrictions since it is at the main Hawthorne site, which as I understand you pretty much have to be a US citizen or green card holder to enter.

Offline Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 5460

Probably facility restrictions since it is at the main Hawthorne site, which as I understand you pretty much have to be a US citizen or green card holder to enter.

Don't think so. They've invited me over knowing I'm English and I know there's some non US people been toured around the place. Some of them are members here.

Anyway, their call. It's webcast, that's all I care about! :)

Online braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: 05/27/2014 10:37 PM »
Any idea what the circular encoding around the dragon logo repesents?

Offline RocketGoBoom

• Liked: 121
  • Idaho
« Reply #5 on: 05/27/2014 10:42 PM »
Here we go folks!

***MEDIA ADVISORY***

SpaceX CEO & Chief Designer Elon Musk to Unveil Dragon V2 Spacecraft

WHO:                    Elon Musk, CEO & Chief Designer, SpaceX

WHAT:                  Mr. Musk will introduce SpaceX’s new Dragon V2 spacecraft, a next generation spacecraft designed to carry astronauts into space.

WHERE:                SpaceX, 1 Rocket Road, Hawthorne, CA, 90250.

WHEN:                 Thursday, May 29. Check in begins at 6:00 p.m. PT; event begins at 7:00 p.m. PT.

Can you imagine another government contractor doing this?

I suspect Elon Musk is going to do this Tesla style like he did with the Model X reveal.

Watch this video if you want an idea of how his crew does things when they put on a show.

« Last Edit: 05/27/2014 10:43 PM by RocketGoBoom »

Online Bubbinski

• Suborbital, LEO, moon, asteroids, Mars, I don't care where, just go!
  • Liked: 25
  • Utah
« Reply #6 on: 05/27/2014 11:14 PM »
Maybe the code around the logo is Morse code? Not sure, and I'm afraid I don't know Morse code. Anyway I'll be tuned in!
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online MP99

• Armchair rocket scientist.
  • Liked: 226
  • UK
Yawn.<< That'll be me on the following morning, since this is a 3AM start for us Brits.

No effect on Chris, of course, since he never sleeps anyway.

Cheers, Martin

Offline RonM

• Liked: 117
  • Atlanta, Georgia USA
« Reply #8 on: 05/27/2014 11:41 PM »
Can you imagine another government contractor doing this?

I suspect Elon Musk is going to do this Tesla style like he did with the Model X reveal.

Since Elon Musk's background is from Silicon Valley style business (PayPal), that kind of showmanship is expected.

Maybe he will emulate Tony Stark from the Iron Man movies and they'll have showgirls doing a dance number.  :)

Offline Prober

• Liked: 204
  • Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
« Reply #9 on: 05/27/2014 11:43 PM »

Don't think so. They've invited me over knowing I'm English and I know there's some non US people been toured around the place. Some of them are members here.

Anyway, their call. It's webcast, that's all I care about! :)

its not a news conference as that might start in the morning.

Thursday, May 29. Check in begins at 6:00 p.m. PT; event begins at 7:00 p.m. PT.   

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 48
« Reply #10 on: 05/27/2014 11:48 PM »
Maybe the code around the logo is Morse code? Not sure, and I'm afraid I don't know Morse code. Anyway I'll be tuned in!

Unfortunately not. Not a consistent set of dots and dashes, although a few could be Morse letters. I'm thinking a type of bar code used by a robotic system to identify a tool or object to pick up, and it's orientation. Or it could be somebody's idea of a cool design.

Online savuporo

• Liked: 160
« Reply #11 on: 05/28/2014 12:00 AM »
prediction : This thread will be 20 pages long with about -40 decibel signal to noise ratio before the actual event starts. You can do it !
We are sorry to announce that due to irreversible nature of the events depicted in this movie, there will not be a "Gravity 2"

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: 05/28/2014 12:08 AM »
Could the rings around the Dragon logo be a stylised representation of IDSS? Or perhaps a top down view of Dragon 2.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2014 12:15 AM by nacnud »

Online ncb1397

• Liked: 201
« Reply #13 on: 05/28/2014 12:22 AM »
For what it is worth, the ratio of the diameter of the largest circle to the smallest circle is almost exactly the square root of 2.

Offline mvpel

• Liked: 421
  • New Hampshire
« Reply #14 on: 05/28/2014 12:43 AM »

You can control where the cameras are pointed, but not the attendees' eyeballs. And if a foreign person's eyeballs land on unclassified technical data subject to ITAR, it's considered an "export" under the law.

ITAR actually stands for International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2014 12:46 AM by mvpel »
Our biggest obstacles are gravity and paperwork. We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming.
     -Wernher von Braun

Tags: