Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas-V - MUOS-5 - June 24, 2016  (Read 60160 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2206
  • Likes Given: 446
Re: LIVE: Atlas-V - MUOS-5 - June 24, 2016
« Reply #240 on: 08/03/2016 03:19 AM »
Question based on Ed's patent posting. It looks like the apogee engine is pump fed vs. pressure fed.

So this brings up a few questions:
-Could it be a failed pump
-Pump verses pressure fed in this case should lead to a significant ISP hit
-It looks like the pumps are electronically powered. Is that a first (for operational rocket engines)?
-Blown breaker in the pump controller? Or other electrical problem?

Not to be morbid, but on such a complex system the reason behind this could be very interesting.

Ironically, the patent touts the advantage of being able to test the pumps during payload integration...but there are plenty of other potential culprits too.
« Last Edit: 08/03/2016 03:26 AM by Kabloona »

Online Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 448
  • Likes Given: 384
« Reply #241 on: 08/03/2016 11:03 AM »
Would it be normal for a spacecraft to have a share hydrazine tank, and a smaller oxidiser tank solely for the biprop engine? Or is it  more likely to be two completely separate systems (different pressurisation requirements might point to this?)
Waiting for joy and raptor

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1434
  • Likes Given: 4475
« Reply #242 on: 08/03/2016 12:00 PM »
Both AEHF and MUOS had orbit raising propulsion anomalies. And it was in 25% of the cases. I'm surprised because we don't usually see those propulsion failures on commercial satellites. Thus, I'm very surprised to see this level of problems on ultra expensive and ultra n-tuple checked programs. Is this just really bad luck on LM side?

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #243 on: 08/03/2016 03:48 PM »
This satellite would be a prime candidate for OA new satellite servicing satellites. The first version of these should be ready by 2020 and are designed to latch onto a satellite and provide station keeping.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9637
  • Likes Given: 299

Offline psionedge

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #245 on: 08/12/2016 06:45 PM »
I'm not up on the satellite tracking so I'm not sure if that slight raise would be noticeable to amateur observers.
Latest amateur orbit confirms this, period raised about 3 min.
Orbit period was previously 943 minutes, I checked the n2yo tracker today and it now says 955 minutes.
http://www.n2yo.com/?s=41622

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 755
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #246 on: 08/16/2016 04:39 PM »
Updated Orbital Parameters as of 17 minutes ago are:
The following elements have been compiled and based on observations by Scott Tilley, Peter Wakelin and Brad Young:

MUOS 5                                               15776 X 35698 km
1 41622U 16041A   16229.03465278  .00000000  00000-0  00000-0 0    05
2 41622   9.7702 322.7056 3101628 182.2968 197.2306  1.50856547    03
Arc 20160812.65-0816.03 WRMS resid 0.002 totl 0.001 xtrk

Ted Molczan
« Last Edit: 08/16/2016 06:11 PM by russianhalo117 »

Offline deptrai

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #247 on: 08/18/2016 10:23 PM »
To better understand why the satellite was struggling, the Joint Functional Component Command for Space at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California tasked the Geosynchronous Space Situational Awareness Program, or GSSAP, satellites for an image of MUOS-5. Satellite operators from Schriever Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colorado then used rendezvous and proximity maneuvers to get the once-classified vehicle into position to capture the best images of the Navy satellite, the Air Force said in a press release. - See more at: http://spacenews.com/air-force-sent-gssap-satellite-to-check-on-stalled-muos-5/#sthash.PiIyU1kX.dpuf

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 803
  • Likes Given: 390
« Reply #248 on: 08/18/2016 11:40 PM »
The press release used to write the story above.  http://www.peterson.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/918082/neighborhood-watch-supports-navy-operations

‘Neighborhood Watch’ supports Navy operations

By Jennifer Thibault, 50th Space Wing Public Affairs / Published August 17, 2016
Geosynchronous Space Situational Awareness Program artist rendering. Air Force Space Command’s “Neighborhood Watch” Satellites, the Geosynchronous Space Situational Awareness Program, recently responded to the Navy’s request for help with a satellite of its own.

SCHRIEVER AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. - Air Force Space Command’s “Neighborhood Watch” Satellites, the Geosynchronous Space Situational Awareness Program, recently responded to the Navy’s request for help with a satellite of its own.

The Joint Functional Component Command for Space officially tasked the 1st Space Operations Squadron to support Navy’s ongoing Mobile User Objective System-5 anomaly effort after the satellite failed to reach its target geosynchronous orbit on July 3.

Anomaly resolution in space is challenging for many reasons, one being it’s difficult to see what’s going on with the satellite.  Traditionally, engineers, analysts and operators comb through telemetry to come up with possible reasons for the anomaly, however in cases like this GSSAP is able to provide Electro Optical Space Situational Awareness on the status of space objects to include location, orbit and size of the space object.

GSSAP crews conduct Rendezvous and Proximity Operations to get the best possible vantage point for collecting SSA data when requested.  In this case, the mission was to help rescue MUOS-5.

Once tasked, 1 SOPS mission planning cell began the deliberate, customized mission planning to determine how to execute the operation and maximize the probability for success.  The satellites’ differing orbits and the various forces at play, including astrodynamics, reminded crewmembers that success was not inevitable.

Capt. Barbara Dyer, 1 SOPS mission commander, led the crew that accomplished the command and control operations to collect MUOS-5 imagery on her 10th shift.

“I knew we were prepared.  We had completed the rehearsal of concept for the unique mission,” she said.  “We recognized the newness of what we’re doing will drive new expectations.”

Second Lt. Nathan Paddock is the satellite vehicle operator who executed the C2 for the operations.

“There were a lot of different people on the operations floor during the shift,” he said.  “Senior leadership was there encouraging us and reminding us that this was something very important.  I am new to the Air Force and the job, but knowing leadership trusted me and expected excellence is something that’s unique to this work.”

The audience and mission importance added to the pressure to achieve success but that didn’t deter Paddock.

“I liked it.  I thrive under pressure,” he said.  “The crew engineers gave us a lot of support and helped me stay calm and relaxed.  I know they had my back.”

The crew conducted SSA missions with other 1 SOPS assets, like the Space Based Space Surveillance system, in preparing for and during the mission.

While planning and operations were conducted at Schriever, another aspect of this unique mission occurred at Point Mugu, California.

“Due to the complexity of the program we wanted someone on site to provide context to Navy leadership, explain our operations, facilitate information sharing and ensure there was robust coordination  during the operations,” said Lt Col Casey Beard, 1 SOPS commander.

The squadron’s mission planning cell chief, Capt. Brett Kasischke, was just up the road at Vandenberg AFB, California, to participate in an exercise.  He capitalized on the opportunity and extended his stay in California.

“I quickly immersed myself into the mission’s requirements  and served as an intermediary; I ensured data was sent at appropriate times as well as supported the team back at Schriever,” Kasischke said.

The mission’s full impact is yet to be determined, but there are successes already to be celebrated.

“I am proud of the team effort across the community,” said Beard. “From our crew here at Schriever to the Space and Missile System Center, the Joint Functional Component Command for Space, the Joint Space Operations Center, our  Navy counterparts at Point Magu and the contractors who dedicated 800 hours to mission planning, it was a true team effort and couldn’t have happened without everyone coming together.”

“The detailed planning was an outstanding learning event for our crews. Our tactics, techniques and procedures were refined and, when called upon to assist with another satellite anomaly, we will be ready.  We have more confidence in our teams and our training programs,” said Kasischke.  “The dynamic nature of the mission and complexity of operations, it’s what we’re here to do and it’s going to shape future operations.”
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline psionedge

« Reply #249 on: 08/19/2016 02:01 AM »
Oops, they misspelled Pt. Mugu.  :-X

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #250 on: 08/19/2016 04:18 PM »
MUOS 5 is in an slightly inclined geostationary transfer orbit.

The 2 operational GSSAP satellites are in geosynchronous orbits.

My deduction: The GSSAP satellites were moved, and maybe their orbits temporarily inclined?, so that their geocentric longitude matched the apogee of MUOS 5.  This would allow documentation imagery.

If both GSSAP satellites were used, they could be spaced in geosynchronous orbit to match geocentric longitudes of successive MUOS 5 apogees.  MUOS 5 is currently completing about 1.5 orbital revolutions/day (from Heavens-above.com http://www.heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=41622&).

MUOS 5's relative velocity would be lowest at apogee (Kepler's laws), so that would make GSSAP imagery attempts easier?

This work may explain why MUOS 5's orbit hasn't changed much in recent days--to allow the imagery documentation.

Question for the amateur satellite observers: Are there any conjunctions of MUOS 5 and either of the operational GSSAPs?

Heavens-above.com has orbital elements for USA 253 as of October 9, 2015, and for USA 254 as of August 12, 2016. (GSSAP 1 & 2)
http://www.heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=40099&
http://www.heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=40100&
« Last Edit: 08/19/2016 04:32 PM by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium!

Offline psionedge

« Reply #251 on: 09/16/2016 12:28 AM »
Peter B. de Selding ‏@pbdes  3h3 hours ago
Sat builders studying possible link between thruster failures on US military MUOS & Intelsat IS-33 sats despite different thruster builders.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1434
  • Likes Given: 4475
« Reply #252 on: 09/16/2016 02:17 AM »
Sat builders studying possible link between thruster failures on US military MUOS & Intelsat IS-33 sats despite different thruster builders.
Both use Moog valves?

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #253 on: 09/17/2016 10:22 PM »
Slow progress is being made based on the latest amateur observations  http://www.satobs.org/seesat/Sep-2016/0096.html

Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 755
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #254 on: 09/18/2016 01:25 AM »
Both use Moog valves?
Yes, that is what i understand

Offline psionedge

« Reply #255 on: 09/18/2016 02:23 AM »
Slow progress is being made based on the latest amateur observations  http://www.satobs.org/seesat/Sep-2016/0096.html
Thanks for the update, I've been waiting on this for about a week now.

Offline deptrai

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #256 on: 09/20/2016 03:38 PM »
Period has been 955m for the last couple weeks.  Today its changed to 984m.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #257 on: 09/20/2016 06:22 PM »
Gesundheit
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #258 on: 09/26/2016 03:17 AM »
Applicable part of a post in the SBIRS GEO-3 thread copied over for reference...

Fueling of the satellite and the launch, originally scheduled for Oct. 3, was delayed on Sep. 10 by Lt Gen Samuel Greaves, SMC commander and Air Force Program Executive Officer for Space (PEO/Space) to give the SBIRS government/contractor engineering team time to investigate a potential parts issue discovered on two other non-SBIRS satellites. A preliminary review of the data suggested a possible issue with the liquid apogee engines. A Liquid Apogee Engine is used by the SBIRS satellite to provide the thrust required to raise the satellite to the proper orbit after the spacecraft has been released from the launch vehicle. Earlier this month, a non-Lockheed Martin commercial satellite experienced a similar anomaly to the July MUOS-5 event. The Air Force is working to understand the commonality between the two anomalous engines and the SBIRS design. The SBIRS satellite remains safe at the launch base.

To date, the joint government and industry team has reviewed approximately 90% of the design, build, and test data from the anomalies. Additionally, all design similarities between the SBIRS liquid apogee engines and the anomalous engines have been fully documented and are understood. The team expects to complete the investigation within the next couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2016 03:18 AM by Targeteer »

Offline psionedge

« Reply #259 on: 09/28/2016 05:22 PM »
Period has been 955m for the last couple weeks.  Today its changed to 984m.

Up to 1038m now.

Tags: