Author Topic: I am a NASA Social Selectee for the Orbital-1 Launch  (Read 3820 times)

Online SkipMorrow

(Is this the right place to post this?)

I am a selectee for the NASA social for the upcoming (and now delayed) Orbital-1 Launch from Wallops Island. This is my first NASA Social. I was wondering if there was anything from the community here that you wanted me to try ans ask, photograph, report about, whatever. Any tips from other past NASA Social selectees?

Here's the schedule of events that was mailed to me earlier (date is now obviously up in the air)
Agenda (as of Dec. 11, 2013)
*Subject to change without notice
L-1:  Dec. 17, 2013
11:30 a.m. -12:30 a.m.
Registration / Check-In
NASA Wallops Visitor Center

12:30 p.m.
Meet and Greet

1 p.m.
Mission Science Briefing (on NASA TV)

3 p.m.
Pre-launch briefing (on NASA TV)

----------------------------------

L-0:  Dec.18, 2013
10 a.m.
Launch Site Tour/Photo Op
NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility/Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport
(Tour of the Horizontal Integration Facility and Launch Pad 0A; Q&A with Director of the Commercial Spaceflight Development)

12 p.m.
Break for lunch
On your own

2 p.m.
Subject Matter Presentations
NASA Wallops Visitor Center Auditorium

7:30 p.m.
Buses depart for launch viewing

9:42 p.m.
Antares launch
Launch Pad 0A
L+ 30 min
Return to Visitor Center
U80/VC

11 p.m.
Post launch press conference (on NASA TV)
NASA Wallops Visitor Center Auditorium

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 193
Re: I am a NASA Social Selectee for the Orbital-1 Launch
« Reply #1 on: 12/18/2013 05:03 PM »
No, it's the wrong place to post this. There's a whole area for Orbital launches and viewing.

I've reported it so Chris can put it in the right area.

Online SkipMorrow

:( That makes me 0 for 2 today :(
I promise, I'm not a troublemaker!

Offline Space Pete

Moved it to the Orbital section for you.

Hopefully we can find you some good questions to ask.

Any photos are of course welcomed! :)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7325
  • Likes Given: 5113
« Reply #4 on: 12/18/2013 06:09 PM »
I don't know if Orbital will be very forthcoming with this (we tried pumping Antonioe, IIRC)... but it's worth a try

What's the go forward plan for the vehicle after the current supply of engines runs out? Have they committed to restarting manufacture or is their order book not that thick yet? Aerojet supposedly has licensed and can manufacture more.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online SkipMorrow

That's a great question! I'll put it on my list and see what I can come up with.

Online SkipMorrow

I am still a part of the NASA Social Media Accreditation Program for this launch event. I received this update today 3 Jan 2014:

Hello all,

I wanted to keep you updated on the latest for the Antares launch. At this time, there has been a launch delay. Obviously this impacts the NASA Social Media Accreditation program. We are working to provide an updated schedule as soon as we lock in the new timeline. We will email everyone over the weekend as soon as we know more.

Here is the mission update announcement:

The International Space Station Program and Orbital Sciences Corporation have decided to postpone the launch of the Antares rocket and its Cygnus cargo craft on the first Orbital commercial resupply mission to the space station to no earlier than Wednesday, Jan. 8 due to the forecast of cold temperatures for Tuesday, Jan. 7 at the launch site at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.

The forecast for Wednesday also calls for cold temperatures, but the station program and Orbital plan to revisit the weather forecast at the beginning of the week. The main concern with the weather is the cold temperatures coupled with likely precipitation. Orbital says the Antares rocket has a lower limit temperature constraint of 20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Orbital still plans to roll out its Antares rocket to Launch Pad 0A at Wallops on Saturday night because the weather is forecast to be favorable at that time.

The launch time for Wednesday, Jan. 8 is 1:32 p.m. Eastern time. NASA TV coverage of launch will begin at 1 p.m.

A launch on Wednesday will result in a grapple of Cygnus by the Expedition 38 crew aboard the station on Sunday, Jan. 12 at 6:02 a.m. NASA TV coverage will begin at 5 a.m. Coverage of the installation of Cygnus on the Earth-facing port of the Harmony module will begin at 7 a.m.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Jason
NASA Social Media Team

Online SkipMorrow

Latest update on the NASA Social:

Hello all,

As most of you might have seen online last night, the rocket has rolled to the pad at Wallops Flight Facility for Wednesday's launch. As of the 72 hours out weather forecast, launch is 95% go on weather. It is going to be cold, so please bring warm clothing to bundle up as launch viewing is outdoor and we could be there for up to an hour. We are trying to secure some warm space for launch viewing, but for now, it's likely to be on the bus adjacent to the viewing area.

Several folks have asked for flexibility on coming one or both days. Given the reschedules, we are willing to be 100% flexible and if you can only attend one day, that is fine. If you will be arriving on Jan 8, please ensure to arrive around 11:45am with your photo ID. You must arrive prior to the bus departure for the tour on Jan 7 or bus departure for launch viewing on Jan 8 if you want to participate in those activities as we cannot accommodate you if you miss the bus.

L-1 (Jan 7):
11:00 a.m. - Noon       Registration and Introductions (at NASA Visitor Center)
Noon -1:30 p.m.          Tour of Horizontal Integration Facility and Launch Pad 0A
2:00 – 3:00 p.m.         Science Briefing (Airs on NASA TV)
3:00 – 4:00 p.m.         Pre-Launch Press Conference (Airs on NASA TV)

L-0 (Jan 8):
11:45 a.m.                  Late Registration (at Visitor Center)
Noon                           Board Buses at Wallops Visitors Center for U-80 viewing site
1:00 p.m.                    Live coverage begins on NASA TV
1:32 p.m.                    Launch!!!
2:15 p.m.                    Buses depart U-80 and return to Wallops Visitors Center
3:00 p.m.                    Post-launch Media Briefing (Airs on NASA TV)

Please let us know if you have any further questions and as always, we'll keep you updated as soon as we get word of any changes to the launch, the NASA Social schedule and more.

Thanks,

-Jason
NASA Social Media Team

72 Hour Out Weather Discussion:
Arctic high pressure will be centered over the southeastern United States on Tuesday, allowing for a cold, dry, and brisk northwesterly surface flow over the Wallops region on Tuesday. The arctic high pressure will begin to build into the Wallops region Tuesday night, allowing for well below average temperatures Tuesday night with low temperatures bottoming out in the mid-teens. The high pressure will be centered over the Mid-Atlantic on Wednesday, providing tranquil but cold conditions to the Wallops region. The upper-level flow will become west-southwesterly on Wednesday afternoon, as an upper-level disturbance moves into southern Plain states, which will allow for an increase of upper-level cirrus clouds by Wednesday afternoon. The upper-level energy will move into the Ohio Valley on Thursday, while high pressure builds over the Northeast states, which will allow for an abundance of upper-level cloud cover on Thursday, as well as slightly warmer conditions. This upper- level disturbance will provide a chance of rain showers to the Wallops region overnight Thursday into Friday. The main weather concern for the launch appears to a very slight chance of thick cloud cover.

Probability of violation for launch (1/8/2014): 5% Weather concern(s): Thick cloudiness.
Probability of violation for launch (1/9/2014): 15% Weather concern(s): Thick cloudiness.
Probability of violation for launch (1/10/2014): 55% Weather concern(s): Thick cloudiness, disturbed weather, and wind.

Online SkipMorrow

I don't know if Orbital will be very forthcoming with this (we tried pumping Antonioe, IIRC)... but it's worth a try

What's the go forward plan for the vehicle after the current supply of engines runs out? Have they committed to restarting manufacture or is their order book not that thick yet? Aerojet supposedly has licensed and can manufacture more.
This did come up a few times. Yeah, they are holding their cards close, but it is apparent that they have plans beyond the 8 remaining launches (including this one). They are still using stock engines, but they are looking at manufacturing options.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 701
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #9 on: 01/08/2014 10:08 PM »
Wanted to thank you for the great job in L2.
We enjoy those pics. ;)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Tags: