Author Topic: Resurs-DK Soyuz-U June 15, 2006  (Read 21610 times)

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 608
Re: Resurs-DK launch - June 15
« Reply #40 on: 01/24/2014 12:22 PM »
I have been looking around online to find what the acronym ARINA expands to in Russian but I have been unsuccessful in finding anything.   This is a science instrument carried on Resurs-DK.   Does anyone know what it is an acronym for, please?

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 352
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #41 on: 01/24/2014 12:52 PM »
I have been looking around online to find what the acronym ARINA expands to in Russian but I have been unsuccessful in finding anything.   This is a science instrument carried on Resurs-DK.   Does anyone know what it is an acronym for, please?

Are you sure this is an acronym ?
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #42 on: 01/24/2014 01:22 PM »

Arina (Арина) - this is a first name in Russian (female one); it was common in 19 century. It was seldom during the Soviet time, but now it is in use again.

Also, it is quite customary in Russia to give female names to scientific instruments installed at spacecrafts.

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #43 on: 01/24/2014 01:22 PM »

It is normally written in capital letters rather than as "Arina" and that is the normal way to show an acronym.

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 352
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #44 on: 01/24/2014 01:36 PM »
And do you think that ПАМЕЛА is an acronym too ? If it does, I don't know what it means...
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #45 on: 01/24/2014 02:12 PM »

It is normally written in capital letters rather than as "Arina" and that is the normal way to show an acronym.

You are right, but may be here we have something else.
For example, ТАТЬЯНА and  НАТАЛЬЯ - these female names were also used for spacecrafts (or experiments), and they were used capitalized. But they are not acronyms for sure - there is no word in Russian starting with "Ь".

By the way, these three - ПАМЕЛА, АРИНА, and НАТАЛЬЯ - all were developed in MIFI.

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #46 on: 01/24/2014 02:25 PM »
Thank you for your comments Smoliarm - your previous posting came while I was in the middle of writing to response to Nicolas.   The reason that I was considering ARINA as an acronym is that Resurs-DK also carried PAMELA - another female name! - and that is an acronym for Payload for AntiMatter Exploration and Light-nuclei Astrophysics, although often I wonder if acronyms or their expansions came first.   Maybe ARINA started as the female name and then an "expanded" version for it was "invented"?   Or, of course, it might not be an acronym at all!!!

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #47 on: 03/25/2016 07:17 PM »
Does anyone know whether Resurs-DK is still operating please?   If it is retired, do we know when it happened?

Thanks!

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 687
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #48 on: 03/25/2016 07:28 PM »
Does anyone know whether Resurs-DK is still operating please?   If it is retired, do we know when it happened?

Thanks!
Anatoly Zak indicates with is wording that it is still on orbit functioning, but is to move to a new orbital position following the completion of the LEOPS phase of Resurs-P3. Resurs-DK and the three Resurs-P spacecrafts are then to be a quarter of an orbit apart until Resurs-P4 and 5 launch in a few years. Resurs-DK will be pulled out of active service and become a backup spare when Resurs-P4 launches and completes it LEOPS phase.
Current parameters available from manufacturer are actively maintaining a near circular 574 km with an inclination of 69.9 to the equator.
Latest biannual status and Payload updates from ESA EO Portal: https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/r/resurs-dk1

Resurs-DK (Resurs-DK1) companion was RESURS-O1-4R (Renamed to Monitor-E) which ceased most operations in 2008 after ADCS issues and all operations a year before the successful launch of Resurs-P1.
« Last Edit: 03/25/2016 07:52 PM by russianhalo117 »

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #49 on: 03/25/2016 08:54 PM »
Thanks!
Anatoly Zak indicates with is wording that it is still on orbit functioning, but is to move to a new orbital position following the completion of the LEOPS phase of Resurs-P3. Resurs-DK and the three Resurs-P spacecrafts are then to be a quarter of an orbit apart until Resurs-P4 and 5 launch in a few years. Resurs-DK will be pulled out of active service and become a backup spare when Resurs-P4 launches and completes it LEOPS phase.
Current parameters available from manufacturer are actively maintaining a near circular 574 km with an inclination of 69.9 to the equator.
Latest biannual status and Payload updates from ESA EO Portal: https://directory.eoportal.org/web/eoportal/satellite-missions/r/resurs-dk1
Resurs-DK (Resurs-DK1) companion was RESURS-O1-4R (Renamed to Monitor-E) which ceased most operations in 2008 after ADCS issues and all operations a year before the successful launch of Resurs-P1.

Since Resurs-DK is in a 70 deg orbit and the Resurs-P satellites are in SSOs there cannot be any phasing maintained between all four satellites.   I can rationalise the three Resurs-P satellites being phased 120 deg apart around their orbits as a possibility.

Offline russianhalo117

« Reply #50 on: 03/25/2016 08:55 PM »
Thanks!

Since Resurs-DK is in a 70 deg orbit and the Resurs-P satellites are in SSOs there cannot be any phasing maintained between all four satellites.   I can rationalise the three Resurs-P satellites being phased 120 deg apart around their orbits as a possibility.
yes, my mistake

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #51 on: 03/26/2016 08:25 AM »
Does anyone know whether Resurs-DK is still operating please? If it is retired, do we know when it happened?

Stopped to work at the end of 2015 and retired at the beginning of 2016.

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #52 on: 03/26/2016 08:34 AM »
Does anyone know whether Resurs-DK is still operating please? If it is retired, do we know when it happened?
Stopped to work at the end of 2015 and retired at the beginning of 2016.

Thank you!

Offline russianhalo117

« Reply #53 on: 03/29/2016 05:13 PM »
LINK: http://russianspaceweb.com/resurs_dk.html#2016
Resurs-DK1 completes a decade-long mission
Resurs-DK1 No. 1 (46KS) End of mission

In February 2016, just weeks before the launch of the new-generation Resurs-P3 remote-sensing satellite, the Russian space tracking service, ASPOS OKP, reported that operations for maintaining the orbit of Resurs-DK1 had not been conducted (any longer). From February 7, due to deactivation of onboard systems and cessation of the attitude control, the accurate monitoring of the satellite's orbit was not conducted. In accordance with instructions from Roskosmos, the tracking of the satellite was discontinued as of March 1, 2016, ASPOS OKP said.

At the time, Resurs-DK1 was reported in a 559.87 by 585.9-kilometer orbit with an inclination 69.95 degrees toward the Equator.

Not withstanding some onboard problems, the nearly decade-long mission of Resurs-DK1 is likely unprecedented for a Russian low-orbiting remote-sensing satellite.

Tags: