Author Topic: Orbital Cygnus ORB-D RNDZ, BERTHING (ATTEMPT 2) And BERTHED UPDATES  (Read 92445 times)

Offline Space Pete

Trivia: The SSRMS latch issue is unique to Cygnus in that Cygnus is the only VV to have a PDGF (Power & Data Grapple Fixture), as both HTV and Dragon use FRGFs (Flight Releasable Grapple Fixtures).

The difference between PDGFs and FRGFs is that the FRGF is simply a grapple pin which the SSRMS LEE snares close around, whereas a PDGF has not only a grapple pin, but also four latches (and electrical connectors) which the SSRMS LEE can lock-on to for extra rigidity (this also allows the grapple pin to be un-snared once latching is complete, thus saving wear on the snares for "long-term grapples", i.e. when the SSRMS is based on a PDGF).
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 11:42 AM by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1834
  • Likes Given: 1118
Starting into that procedure.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8471
  • Likes Given: 5527
Trivia: The SSRMS latch issue is unique to Cygnus in that Cygnus is the only VV to have a PDGF (Power & Data Grapple Fixture), as both HTV and Dragon use FRGFs (Flight Releasable Grapple Fixtures).

The difference between PDGFs and FRGFs is that the FRGF is simple a grapple pin which the SSRMS LEE snares close around, whereas a PDGF has not only a grapple pin, but also four latches (and electrical connectors) which the SSRMS LEE can lock-on to for extra rigidity (this also allows the grapple pin to be un-snared once latching is complete, thus saving wear on the snares for "long-term grapples", i.e. when the SSRMS is based on a PDGF).
Does this mean that if Cygnus wired up properly, arm could be based on Cygnus??
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2726
  • Likes Given: 1009
Good latch. Go for mate.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline psloss

Seeing a good latch.

Offline MP99

The difference between PDGFs and FRGFs is that the FRGF is simple a grapple pin which the SSRMS LEE snares close around, whereas a PDGF has not only a grapple pin, but also four latches (and electrical connectors) which the SSRMS LEE can lock-on to for extra rigidity (this also allows the grapple pin to be un-snared once latching is complete, thus saving wear on the snares for "long-term grapples", i.e. when the SSRMS is based on a PDGF).

Pete beats Josh to the explanation here.

Cheers, Martin

Offline Space Pete

Does this mean that if Cygnus wired up properly, arm could be based on Cygnus??

In theory, IF (and I mean very IF) it were wired up properly, yes (although in reality I don't know how possible it would be to enable Cygnus to integrate into the ISS SSRMS control network via its CBM interface - it would be an awful lot of work on both the Cygnus and ISS side to say the least).
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 11:36 AM by Space Pete »

Offline karzump

• Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Houston seeing good config except for SSRMS latches, they are investigating

how do you get this info?

Offline psloss

In theory, IF (and I mean very IF) it were wired up properly, yes (although in reality I don't know how possible it would be to enable Cygnus to integrate into the ISS SSRMS control network via its CBM interface - it would be an awful lot of work on both the Cygnus and ISS side to say the least).
Evaluating loads would be fun trying to use that as a base.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 11:30 AM by psloss »

Offline psloss

Houston seeing good config except for SSRMS latches, they are investigating

how do you get this info?
Listening to the space-to-ground communications between Houston and Station.

Offline psloss

Management congratulations.  Mr. Suffredini in the control center and Cady Coleman reading up a message from General Bolden.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 11:39 AM by psloss »

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 681
"Epic" we remember that one.. haha

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 77
Perspective -- we had a mechanical issue trying to mate the FGB to Node 1, in hindsight it was remarkable that was ALL that ankle-bit us that mission.

Offline Space Pete

Produced this "quick and dirty" image of the PDGF - the latches on the LEE and PDGF are circled in red. Second image shows view of latches with umbilical doors open and the electrical connectors which are behind the doors.

Offline psloss

Perspective -- we had a mechanical issue trying to mate the FGB to Node 1, in hindsight it was remarkable that was ALL that ankle-bit us that mission.
Heh, remember watching that live...had to take one of the SRMS joints to limp, right?

Offline psloss

SSRMS in motion with Cygnus...ultimately headed to a position for berthing.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 11:45 AM by psloss »

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 581
  • Likes Given: 677
Orbital sunrise in 0 minutes
-- sdsds --

Offline psloss

« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 11:46 AM by psloss »

Offline Artyom.

• Liked: 1232
  • Likes Given: 132
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 11:47 AM by Artyom. »
"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in a cradle forever." - Konstantin Eduardovich Tsiolkovsky.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2726
  • Likes Given: 1009
Birthing operations underway
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Tags: