Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - Sept. 29 - LAUNCH UPDATES  (Read 230975 times)

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 169
  • Likes Given: 0
The fact that they were able to attempt a first stage relight must mean that the first stage velocity reduction burn and reentry orientation went smoothly.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 535
  • Likes Given: 610
Very strange coverage! It seemed like the loss of signal happened everytime they went to the infrared view of the engine.

Indeed, and why would the audio signal also cut out ?

Probably some kind of freaky channel splice arrangement where the audio is added upstream of the filter that switches to the 'please stand by' screen in case of video signal loss so that it cuts off the audio too.  They seemed to work out that was happening about half-way through the flight and rectified it.

SUCCESS!! Via L2 we have confirmation from the Cassiope folk S/C Sep and a healthy sat!!

Hoorah! Well done to SpaceX and all the team at VAFB, MacGreggor and Hawthorne for brining the F-9 v.1.1 to life!
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 04:37 PM by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline A12

• ROME, ITALY
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 320
SUCCESS!! Via L2 we have confirmation from the Cassiope folk S/C Sep and a healthy sat!!

Whew, good to know; I got concerned because didn't see , during the ascent streaming, the fairing falling back.
Someone noticed them ?

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 49
How many of the Merlins were supposed to relight during 1st stage descent? The vehicle is a whole LOT lighter, don't forget!

Offline PreferToLurk

• Liked: 141
  • Likes Given: 21
The fact that they were able to attempt a first stage relight must mean that the first stage velocity reduction burn and reentry orientation went smoothly.

Could the 1st stage have coasted until that call out?  It seems possible to me that the relight WAS the velocity reduction burn. 

Probably need to wait for the press conference. 

Do we have an ETA for the presser?

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 980
  • Likes Given: 405

Whew, good to know; I got concerned because didn't see , during the ascent streaming, the fairing falling back.
Someone noticed them ?
Yes, fairing sep was shown during the live broadcast.

Offline cambrianera

• Liked: 276
  • Likes Given: 231
How many of the Merlins were supposed to relight during 1st stage descent? The vehicle is a whole LOT lighter, don't forget!

Three for the braking burn, one for the final burn.
Oh to be young again. . .

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 2746
  • Likes Given: 410
Very strange coverage! It seemed like the loss of signal happened everytime they went to the infrared view of the engine.

There's a box where they combine the video with the audio. That box might have been programmed to cut the audio if the video goes. So if the vehicle exploded, none of us would be any the wiser.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 239
Elon's Jet heading out to chase the first stage on the way back:

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/N887XF
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 04:42 PM by Ronsmytheiii »
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Offline chad1011

• Anderson, SC
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 236
Way to go SpaceX!

Offline PreferToLurk

Someone noticed them ?
Yes, fairing sep was shown during the live broadcast.

I think it cut out for the fall away view,  but the actual separation forward view from inside the fairing was live.

Online rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1181
  • Likes Given: 471
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Zaran

• England
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 58

First slowdown burn is three engines, final decent and landing uses only the middle engine.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 980
  • Likes Given: 405

I missed that...did they say there would be a post launch press conference during the webcast?

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1501
  • Likes Given: 320

I missed that...did they say there would be a post launch press conference during the webcast?

Not that I know of.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Right before sign off, they mentioned there would be a media event later in the afternoon, but no details were given as to time or whether it would be webcast or anything.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline PreferToLurk

Not that I know of.

I was pretty sure they mentioned it just before signing off.

Offline MP99

There's a box where they combine the video with the audio. That box might have been programmed to cut the audio if the video goes. So if the vehicle exploded, none of us would be any the wiser.

Yeah - damned annoying (and scary until it came back first time), but agree they probably did it on purpose so launch loop not broadcast in case of failure.

Cheers, Martin
« Last Edit: 09/29/2013 04:44 PM by MP99 »

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 289
OK, good news on the Cassiope and CUSAT separations - congrats to those teams and to SpaceX.
We still need to get confirmation on DANDE and POPACS.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Tags: