Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 227280 times)

Offline Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #720 on: 07/12/2016 06:17 PM »
I'd like to add my vote for a "Hide" function....no offence to the posters and contributors to the EM Drive Decelpments  Thread but I'd really like a way to stop that thread from showing up ALL THE TIME, in my Recent Forum Posts section of the NSF main page...

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1536
  • Likes Given: 2726
« Reply #721 on: 07/18/2016 02:20 AM »
It occurred to me, while posting about the lack of a link to the technical broadcast direct from SpaceX's website as opposed to via YouTube, that people are always placing embedded YouTube player windows into their posts that reference the webcasts.

If someone plays a YouTube streaming event via an embedded window, does that go through the forum's servers?  Could that be one reason why things like these launch events are so hard on the servers?

I only ask because I've noted before that when I try to open, say, the technical webcast link for a Falcon launch via the embedded stream window, it usually fails badly right during liftoff and the first stages of flight, whereas when I have been able to watch the webcast directly through the SpaceX site, I've not noticed those difficulties.  It occurred to me that the embedded stream window might be streaming via the forum's servers, and when our servers become stressed, all of the embedded streaming windows tend to go into endless buffering.

Just wondering if this kind of thing might be happening...?
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 341
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #722 on: 07/18/2016 02:36 AM »
I was actually having trouble NOT embedding the video - I couldn't figure out a tag to say "treat this as text, not a youtube URL.  www dot youtube dot com still embedded the video (even without the https://); I had to trm it to youtube dot com to get the text only to display.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #723 on: 07/18/2016 02:50 AM »
I was actually having trouble NOT embedding the video - I couldn't figure out a tag to say "treat this as text, not a youtube URL.  www dot youtube dot com still embedded the video (even without the https://); I had to trm it to youtube dot com to get the text only to display.

I wondered if that wasn't the way of it, in terms of how YouTube embeds itself into forum posts and such.  Another example of an "Oh, you didn't want to provide a link, you wanted to embed a window, there, fixed that for you" type of mentality of some of the software developers out there.

Still, I do wonder if embedding through another website's pages does force the streaming traffic through that site's servers.  I guess it's more curiosity than anything else.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #724 on: 07/18/2016 03:03 AM »

If someone plays a YouTube streaming event via an embedded window, does that go through the forum's servers?  Could that be one reason why things like these launch events are so hard on the servers?

No, as we're not "serving" the content.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #725 on: 07/18/2016 03:07 AM »

Thanks!  I didn't know how much of the content that appeared on the web page came directly through the servers you guys use, and how much gets delivered in some nifty way via a direct outside link in.

Now I know... :)

Offline WulfTheSaxon

• #geekpolitics on DALnet
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 592
« Reply #726 on: 07/18/2016 04:26 AM »

If you donít want it to be a link at all, the tag youíre looking for is [nobbc]. Otherwise, hereís what I wrote to Rik ISS-fan a couple months ago:

Is there a trick to make a non video youtube link?)

You just have to leave out the www in the url tag. Might break at some point if the video embed mod becomes a bit less naÔve, but it works for now.

Live example: https://youtube.com/watch?v=r7LqbxsNiyc

Thanks!  I didn't know how much of the content that appeared on the web page came directly through the servers you guys use, and how much gets delivered in some nifty way via a direct outside link in.

Now I know... :)

You can see a handy visualization of resources being loaded in realtime by using your browserís developer tools. In most browsers, you can get to it by pressing Ctrl+Shift+J and then clicking the Network tab.
« Last Edit: 07/18/2016 04:27 AM by WulfTheSaxon »

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1494
  • Likes Given: 925
« Reply #727 on: 07/18/2016 04:28 AM »
I've been using the following method, just add ?t=001 to the end of the tag.  example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCCyVCvN2bo?t=001
Tony De La Rosa

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 176
« Reply #728 on: 07/19/2016 03:50 PM »
Is there anywhere simple instructions for embedding YouTube video in a post. A quick Google turns up nothing.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #729 on: 07/19/2016 04:06 PM »
Pasting the URL should be enough. Forum automatically embeds it.

testing here:

Offline Arb

• London
« Reply #730 on: 07/20/2016 05:34 PM »
Pasting the URL should be enough. Forum automatically embeds it.
Yep, that works; thanks.

How about with a time code eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbiVw_1FNs?t=2m7s
« Last Edit: 07/20/2016 05:37 PM by Arb »

Offline Arb

• London
« Reply #731 on: 07/20/2016 05:42 PM »
Ah, there's a bug. The forum is changing the URL by inserting "watch?v=. It should be

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #732 on: 07/20/2016 06:20 PM »
youtu.be is a shorthand version. I think youtube changes that into full youtube.com style url when following any link with that type. I think the forum software/plugin just enabled the embedding for the full version..

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #733 on: 07/28/2016 11:56 PM »
What is the current status of the intent Chris B mentioned some months ago to convert the board into automatically updating threads, more particularly desirable for live launch & docking threads? Is there anything members can do to hasten the development of that feature, such as contribute beyond normal L2 subscription fees?
"Once a Blue, always a Blue." -- USN/USMC Flight Demonstration Squadron

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #734 on: 07/29/2016 12:54 AM »
What is the current status of the intent Chris B mentioned some months ago to convert the board into automatically updating threads, more particularly desirable for live launch & docking threads? Is there anything members can do to hasten the development of that feature, such as contribute beyond normal L2 subscription fees?

Can you quote where I said that, because we're keeping this format. Perhaps you misread what I said....will need to see the post.

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #735 on: 07/29/2016 02:40 PM »

Can you quote where I said that, because we're keeping this format. Perhaps you misread what I said....will need to see the post.

If you don't remember saying it, then that's probably because you didn't. I did some searching anyway, but when I tried the keywords "live updates" in quotes, the redundant meaning became obvious. I must have read the meaning in question into an incidence of the phrase "live updates", which of course are already everywhere on NSF.

I wasn't asking about a change to the format other than that, thinking automatic updating might require no more than some kind of plug-in behind the scenes, but it has been about 20 years since I last did any programming other than HTML.

In my search, I did come across something more enlightening. I had somehow forgotten something you said in response to some questions I had when I joined:

***this massive worldwide forum started with only five people***
"Once a Blue, always a Blue." -- USN/USMC Flight Demonstration Squadron

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #736 on: 07/29/2016 02:46 PM »

If you don't remember saying it, then that's probably because you didn't. I did some searching anyway, but when I tried the keywords "live updates" in quotes, the redundant meaning became obvious. I must have read the meaning in question into an incidence of the phrase "live updates", which of course are already everywhere on NSF.

I wasn't asking about a change to the format other than that, thinking automatic updating might require no more than some kind of plug-in behind the scenes, but it has been about 20 years since I last did any programming other than HTML.

In my search, I did come across something more enlightening. I had somehow forgotten something you said in response to some questions I had when I joined:

***this massive worldwide forum started with only five people***

Copy all! Yeah, the first week we had just a room full of people here. I can't remember when we got our first surge, but we started with covering Return To Flight STS-114 and it was only going to be Shuttle stuff. We had a big break with the PAL ramp photos after Discovery's launch which showed we already had some good Shuttle workers helping us and no one seemed to have that, apart from the since-defunct SDC forum that had a version of Jim on SDC (telling everyone they are wrong ;D) and a google mail group that died due to no spam control.

Wasn't long after that we started covering other rockets, Sea Launch and someone called Elon Musk and his plans, were the first two big ones we covered, outside of the Agencies. Not sure what became of Elon. We'll have to check ;D

Anyhoo, yeah, we really want to freshen the place up, but massive changes never work. Will be improvements, but this is our core and what we're known for. We'll work on it and find a happy medium to update us, but not lose our identity (News Site. Discussion Forum).

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 3274
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #737 on: 08/03/2016 04:56 AM »
 I know this is a misuse of this thread, but where could I ask someone a question about my profiles?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #738 on: 08/03/2016 10:56 AM »
I know this is a misuse of this thread, but where could I ask someone a question about my profiles?

Here or start a thread on it in this section? :)

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 3274
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #739 on: 08/04/2016 01:55 AM »
 I was just wondering if there was enough wizardry in here to merge my two profiles. For some reason I can't remember, I was posting as Nomadd22 for a while in 08/09.

Tags: