Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 226477 times)

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 176
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #700 on: 06/06/2016 11:17 PM »
Remember guys. Don't embed pictures. Always attach them. Saves the thread getting messed up when quoted and the potential they may be wider than the width of the page.
Given that admonitions such as this pop up quite frequently, is it possible to turn-off/disable the ability to embed?

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 561
« Reply #701 on: 06/07/2016 01:46 PM »
You want some feedback?  Well, here's some feedback, this site is still great.  Keep up the good work everyone!!
Paul

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 513
« Reply #702 on: 06/07/2016 05:53 PM »
What happened that set the new post marker on this thread to this post? http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40127.msg1525044#msg1525044

Not sure where the new posts begin and the old posts end. I've seen this bug crop up a lot on these forums.

Also occurred here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40127.msg1527522#msg1527522

Some change that got made in the last few days reset those posts to the posts I linked into those topics instead of the actual new posts.

I've seen this happen myself, several times.  I think it happens when a thread is moderated (posts split or deleted) or an upstream post is edited.  Would be nice to have it fixed.

Remember guys. Don't embed pictures. Always attach them. Saves the thread getting messed up when quoted and the potential they may be wider than the width of the page.
Given that admonitions such as this pop up quite frequently, is it possible to turn-off/disable the ability to embed?

Yes, this is a simple matter of turning off the relevant bbcode tag(s).
« Last Edit: 06/07/2016 05:54 PM by Sesquipedalian »

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA -- previously in Ann Arbor, MI
  • Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #703 on: 06/09/2016 09:05 AM »

I wish the forums supported Markdown which is much more pleasant to use rather than archaic 20 year old bbcode tags (invented 18 years ago). The idea that you should have to close your tags is kind of silly.
Internal combustion engine in space. It's just a Bad Idea.TM - Robotbeat

Offline WulfTheSaxon

• #geekpolitics on DALnet
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 592
« Reply #704 on: 06/09/2016 04:14 PM »

I wish the forums supported Markdown which is much more pleasant to use rather than archaic 20 year old bbcode tags (invented 18 years ago). The idea that you should have to close your tags is kind of silly.

Eww, pls no.

BTW: Could we get the HTML strong element enabled? Itís essentially identical to b, but without muddying the boundary of semantics and style (em, the clearer version of i, is already enabled).

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #705 on: 06/09/2016 04:19 PM »
All good stuff. It's for Mark to work these suggestions, but it's a good place to post them, so don't think we're ignoring, all gets read and worked :)

Offline First Mate Rummey

• Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #706 on: 06/10/2016 05:37 PM »
Hi, I want to suggest to use https for the forum, and eventually the main site. Free certificates are available by LetsEncrypt.
Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: 06/10/2016 05:37 PM by First Mate Rummey »

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 660
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #707 on: 06/10/2016 06:54 PM »
Hi, I want to suggest to use https for the forum, and eventually the main site. Free certificates are available by LetsEncrypt.
Thanks!  :)

Both these seem to work for me:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php (browser reports some images are not secure in individual threads)

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/ (browser reports some unsecured content on main page)

And both sites are verified by Let's Encrypt

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #708 on: 06/10/2016 06:56 PM »
Yep! Mark sorted that all out this year.

Offline First Mate Rummey

• Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #709 on: 06/10/2016 07:02 PM »
Thanks, i wasn't aware it was enabled!
(You may eventually want to add an http -> https redirect on the web server and eventually enable HSTS, so that https is the default for everyone, if server load is not an issue).

Offline winkhomewinkhome

• La Grande OR
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #710 on: 06/12/2016 04:48 AM »
under the heading of either additions and or improvements.

Would it be possible to a an NSF date/clock of each forum page so the reader has a better relative reference as to when a most was made and when it was then being read.

Thank you -
Dale R. Winke

Offline pericynthion

• GNC / Comms Engineer
  • Liked: 424
  • Likes Given: 167
« Reply #711 on: 07/03/2016 05:44 PM »
Speaking of HTTPS, looks like the certificate expired today and needs to be renewed :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #712 on: 07/03/2016 05:48 PM »
Speaking of HTTPS, looks like the certificate expired today and needs to be renewed :)

Thanks. I'll ping Mark.

Offline freda

• USA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #713 on: 07/03/2016 06:16 PM »
A thought.. as one of the primary "magnets" that draw people into the NSF Forums, the block on the opening page that displays the 5 most recent Forum posts might could be expanded to a larger number; something like 10?

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 660
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #714 on: 07/07/2016 02:02 PM »
A regular suggestion regarding acronyms, but I thought I'd give it another airing:

don't we have an acronyms list where if you scrolled over say PMA it would translate it into layman's terms?? or did that list die in a fiery death in one of the Forum updates without anyone noticing???

old one, but attached.

I wish the website can implement the acronym list as a mouse-over tool-tip for the Forum. in other words, moving your mouse over an acronym would pop up the full name briefly. This would increase the IQ of NSF members by at least 30 :)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5393
  • Likes Given: 3565
« Reply #715 on: 07/08/2016 03:46 AM »
A regular suggestion regarding acronyms, but I thought I'd give it another airing:

I wish the website can implement the acronym list as a mouse-over tool-tip for the Forum. in other words, moving your mouse over an acronym would pop up the full name briefly. This would increase the IQ of NSF members by at least 30 :)

I would personally benefit a LOT from this but there needs to be an investigation of whether this puts too much load on the servers... if you had to choose between this, and servers going dark during high traffic periods... which would you choose? I know which I would.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online miscme

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #716 on: 07/08/2016 06:43 AM »
Depends on how the feature is implemented, it can be done by adding only a small amount of code (javascript) that the server would send to the client (smaller than one of the banner ads and would be cached after 1st visit).

The visitor's web browser would do the extra work which involves downloading a dictionary list of NSF acronyms and displaying expanded text when the mouse hovers over a matched acronym.

Some Sub-Redit's are using this site for their acronym dictionaries http://www.decronym.xyz/acronyms/Space

Offline TinkerLaspeyrs

• Australia
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #717 on: 07/08/2016 09:18 AM »
I have been reading this site for a while and I think I'm getting a handle on this acronym thing.
ISTM and AFAIK IIRC and this is only IMHO the use of TLAs, FLAs etc is SOP and TB
H AIUI a bit like the SH WRT Txting on mobiles FWIW TBH. You pick it up eventually and the pattern recognition part of your brain adds it to your vocabulary. A bit like recognising the meaning of a word without sounding it out like a preschool kid. You just get to know what it means without even expanding the MLA out to individual words. Acronym Finder is your friend. But you will still find there is sometimes context needed. eg TVC is Trapped Vortex Combustion if it relates to the violence going on in the combustion chamber, and Thrust Vector Control if you talking about steering your stick.
Time and space continuum has been compromised. To restore dimensional integrity please press any key. To continue using the computer press any other key.

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 176
« Reply #718 on: 07/12/2016 01:21 PM »
Another improve-signal-to-noise-ratio-via-personal-preference idea for consideration:

Add a "Hide" button alongside each thread on each Section page so one can avoid seeing even the title of threads that are of no interest.

Personally I'd be glad for them to be gone forever but that's clearly not generally acceptable so there'd have to be a "Hidden Threads List" under each users "Profile" from which they can restore any threads they wish (somewhat similar to how the "Ignore List" works; but with no size limit!).

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1532
  • Likes Given: 2717
« Reply #719 on: 07/12/2016 02:23 PM »
I would probably use such a "Hide" function, but to be honest, there are any number of occasions when I happen to glance at a thread or even a whole forum that I would normally not be interested in, and suddenly find a topic or a statement that I find interesting, or have a comment about.  And with "topic wander," sometimes you can find an excellent discussion of, say, helpful Mars pressure suit characteristics in a thread that's supposed to be about Martian agriculture, or somesuch.

As it is, using the "Mark Read" function takes very little time, and lets me make a positive decision as to which threads I want to skip.  Were I to simply mark the entire "Advanced Concepts" forum to be hidden, for example, I might miss a discussion that I would otherwise find interesting.

So, I guess I'm of two minds about this.  It could be a useful tool, but it could also let people apply such a set of blinders that you get arguments based out of unintended ignorance -- and I suppose my concern is just that we have enough arguments made from ignorance here, why encourage even more?  ;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Tags: