Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 227767 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #680 on: 05/25/2016 08:53 PM »
Yeah, you're right. Will let Mark know.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #681 on: 05/25/2016 09:58 PM »
Yeah, you're right. Will let Mark know.

I'll fix this after/during the maintenance period.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #682 on: 05/25/2016 10:58 PM »
well.... right now it's not working at all. The searches I tried a few weeks ago that returned many things now return nothing. Try it...  go to
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=search
put in "apollo 16"

Fixed

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1495
  • Likes Given: 927
« Reply #683 on: 05/26/2016 03:28 AM »
well.... right now it's not working at all. The searches I tried a few weeks ago that returned many things now return nothing. Try it...  go to
put in "apollo 16"

Fixed

Thanks everyone, at least I feel vindicated of not know how to do a search.. ;)
« Last Edit: 05/26/2016 03:28 AM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5420
  • Likes Given: 3573
« Reply #684 on: 05/26/2016 03:48 AM »
put in "apollo 16"
Fixed
Thanks everyone, at least I feel vindicated of not know how to do a search.. ;)
Actually we faked the whole thing just to make you feel better...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline WulfTheSaxon

• #geekpolitics on DALnet
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 592
« Reply #685 on: 05/26/2016 03:55 PM »
It appears the forum software is already most of the way to being able to handle quoting update threads in discussion threads. If you copy a quote link and swap the topic parameter for a different thread number, it works fine. As a quick-and-dirty solution, all that’s needed is a bit of JS to generate a button. It could even be implemented as a userscript for testing, although it would have to use a hard-coded list of update-discussion thread pairs. Obviously a permanent solution would rely on a meta tag in the update thread.

For example, this thread is http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32793.0. The quote button on macpacheco’s last post in the JCSAT-14 update thread links to http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1538748;topic=39843.300;last_msg=1538757. Combine those to get http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1538748;topic=32793.0 and it will quote that post from the update thread here in the feedback thread.

Edit: Yep, works.

And, here’s that quick-and-dirty userscript:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         NSF Quote in Discussion Thread Button (Alpha)
// @namespace    http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=profile;u=20610
// @version      0.1
// @description  Creates a button on NASASpaceFlight.com forum posts that allows easy quoting of update threads in discussion threads.
// @author       WulfTheSaxon
// @match        http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

function createQIDTButtons()
{
    var discussionThread = "33778.0";
    var buttonGroups = document.querySelectorAll(".quickbuttons");
    var quoteButtons = document.querySelectorAll(".quote_button");
    var quoteLinks = document.querySelectorAll(".quote_button a");
    for (var i = 0; i < buttonGroups.length; i++) {
        var qidtButtons = quoteButtons[i].cloneNode(true);
        qidtButtons.className = qidtButtons.className + " qidt_button";
        qidtButtons.childNodes[0].innerHTML = "Quote in Discussion Thread";
        buttonGroups[i].insertBefore(qidtButtons, buttonGroups[i].lastChild);
        buttonGroups[i].querySelector(".qidt_button a").href = quoteLinks[i].href.replace(/topic=\d.*/i,"topic="+discussionThread);
    }
}

document.ready(createQIDTButtons());

Attached is a self-contained testcase for the meta tag behavior. Alternatives that would require no code changes(!) could include putting the discussion thread number at the end of the update thread name, or (ab)using the thread tag system.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2016 07:34 PM by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #686 on: 05/26/2016 07:34 PM »
Hope I didn't mess that up with the edit as we can't have that previous post title. It would confuse people.

Offline WulfTheSaxon

« Reply #687 on: 05/26/2016 08:50 PM »
Hope I didn't mess that up with the edit as we can't have that previous post title. It would confuse people.

Hmm… That’s how SMF works when you hand it a link asking it to quote one thread in another. Would that be a problem for a production implementation? ISTM it’d actually make more sense that way, since the post would in fact be regarding the other thread. (Obviously my test post didn’t have anything to do with the JCSAT thread, so point taken there.)

Offline mrbliss

• Grand Rapids, MI
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #688 on: 05/26/2016 09:58 PM »

NSF is still far and away the best forum. Ever.

There was a better forum once upon a turn of the millennium, where users could switch views between threaded discussion mode and chronological list mode. And read and post via email, web or NNTP. And compartmentalized dorkdom was celebrated, and ...

Never mind, that's off topic.  And it's all over now, anyway.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 178
  • Likes Given: 513
« Reply #689 on: 05/26/2016 10:20 PM »
It could even be implemented as a userscript for testing, although it would have to use a hard-coded list of update-discussion thread pairs. Obviously a permanent solution would rely on a meta tag in the update thread.

I wouldn't rely on a meta tag, as this requires both threads to be tagged and matched -- too tedious to do on a regular basis.  Instead, I would search the thread title for the word "update", then do a query to see if another thread existed with the same title but "discussion" in place of "update".  But this would need to be done server-side.

There was a better forum once upon a turn of the millennium, where users could switch views between threaded discussion mode and chronological list mode. And read and post via email, web or NNTP. And compartmentalized dorkdom was celebrated, and ...

Would this other forum have been frequented by a certain global moderator?

Offline WulfTheSaxon

« Reply #690 on: 05/26/2016 11:53 PM »
It could even be implemented as a userscript for testing, although it would have to use a hard-coded list of update-discussion thread pairs. Obviously a permanent solution would rely on a meta tag in the update thread.

I wouldn't rely on a meta tag, as this requires both threads to be tagged and matched -- too tedious to do on a regular basis.  Instead, I would search the thread title for the word "update", then do a query to see if another thread existed with the same title but "discussion" in place of "update".  But this would need to be done server-side.

Certainly the more powerful solution – I’m just brainstorming whether it’s possible to kludge together some sort of client-side implementation.

Of course, you could search for an identically-named discussion thread client-side as well, but you’d either end up loading the forum index with every update thread pageview (I can feel the server’s pain!) or trying to keep an up-to-date list of thread-pairs in a cookie (more kludge than even I’m willing to undertake).

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #691 on: 05/27/2016 02:21 AM »

NSF is still far and away the best forum. Ever.

Never mind, that's off topic.  And it's all over now, anyway.
No it isn't. It's just resting.

Would this other forum have been frequented by a certain global moderator?
Rumor has it he was even a moderator there once, before the entire moderation scheme came crashing down in an epic implosion that is educational to review to this day, with lessons on how gentle of a touch works, as well as how much backing the site owner needs to give mods... among other things.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2016 02:23 AM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #692 on: 05/27/2016 02:26 AM »
Of course, you could search for an identically-named discussion thread client-side as well, but you’d either end up loading the forum index with every update thread pageview (I can feel the server’s pain!) or trying to keep an up-to-date list of thread-pairs in a cookie (more kludge than even I’m willing to undertake).
Put the hard coded list of pairs in a special  single post thread that only mods can edit but which is globally readable, then you don't have to load the index, just that post, and maybe that post isn't too much to load in a cookie.

Offline WulfTheSaxon

« Reply #693 on: 05/27/2016 02:06 PM »
Put the hard coded list of pairs in a special  single post thread that only mods can edit but which is globally readable, then you don't have to load the index, just that post, and maybe that post isn't too much to load in a cookie.

I don’t think that would be much gentler on the server than checking the forum index (and it’d be extra work for the mods).

The trouble with any solution that ever involves loading another page is that there’s some degree of extra server load. You can try to minimize that by storing the thread pairs in a cookie and only checking the other page if there’s no corresponding value in the cookie already – but then what happens if a thread title ends in “ -  UPDATES” but for some reason there isn’t a corresponding “ - DISCUSSION” thread? It would load the index with every view of the updates thread, doubling the server load. So then you’d need to add more code to, say, not check again within a time period that starts at 60 seconds and doubles with each attempt.

It all gets very complicated if you go down the scraping/cookie rabbit hole, and at that point writing an SMF mod would definitely be the easier solution (it’s the better solution either way, just not as easy).  :P

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #694 on: 05/28/2016 06:10 PM »
Is the advanced search not working for anyone else?

Offline WulfTheSaxon

« Reply #695 on: 05/28/2016 09:28 PM »

I get “An Error Has Occurred! Unable to access the search daemon”.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #696 on: 05/31/2016 09:32 PM »

Is that still the case for anyone ? working alright from what I can see

Online rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 493
« Reply #697 on: 05/31/2016 09:40 PM »

Is that still the case for anyone ? working alright from what I can see
Working quite well. Nice Job.

OS 10.11.5 Safari 9.1.1
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 2726
« Reply #698 on: 06/01/2016 10:25 PM »
Okay, that was weird.  For about one minute, between 5:22 and 5:23 pm CDT, I could display the main forum index page but every time I selected a sub-forum to look at, like Historical or Advanced, I got an HTTP 500 error.  The connection problem wizard couldn't identify the problem, the error said that the website server could not handle the request.

It was a very short glitch.  Y'all making tweaks to the site?
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA -- previously in Ann Arbor, MI
  • Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #699 on: 06/06/2016 11:09 PM »
What happened that set the new post marker on this thread to this post? http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40127.msg1525044#msg1525044

Not sure where the new posts begin and the old posts end. I've seen this bug crop up a lot on these forums.

Also occurred here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40127.msg1527522#msg1527522

Some change that got made in the last few days reset those posts to the posts I linked into those topics instead of the actual new posts.
Internal combustion engine in space. It's just a Bad Idea.TM - Robotbeat

Tags: