Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 226733 times)

Online mtakala24

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #500 on: 07/31/2015 04:55 PM »
Does this site have any plans to support the iOS 9 news feature?
https://www.apple.com/news/
https://developer.apple.com/news-publisher/

sounds like yet another "must reinvent the wheel to go non standard and monetize it" from Apple.

News site already has cross-platform RSS feed.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #501 on: 07/31/2015 07:08 PM »
Is it just me... but a great deal of last read posts have reverted to sometime in May? Clicking the new -button next to the thread title, I'll get to read posts from May "as new" and then realizing that the new posts are actually on the last pages of the thread.

I do know Mark has been down in the basement with his wrench today. I could hear him banging something (not rude!) ;D

Perhaps that, but I'm probably the only person here who doesn't use that "last read" thing - I like to be surprised ;)

Other point is we're starting the process of looking at the next forum software stuff (behind the scenes, not "OMG, it all looks alien to me now" to keep us all shipshape.

Online mtakala24

« Reply #502 on: 07/31/2015 07:10 PM »

Other point is we're starting the process of looking at the next forum software stuff (behind the scenes, not "OMG, it all looks alien to me now" to keep us all shipshape.

Thats reassuring to hear, as all kinds of security holes are found all the time in all forum softwares and also in WordPress. Good to have an ongoing process instead of waiting for disaster.

Offline Dapholine

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #503 on: 08/02/2015 05:11 PM »
When using Edge browser on Windows 10, some images don't show (e.g. the 'like' thumb and Chris Bergin's forum-picture). The page source reveals these are .webp images, a format that Edge does not support.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1532
  • Likes Given: 2718
« Reply #504 on: 08/02/2015 05:24 PM »
When using Edge browser on Windows 10, some images don't show (e.g. the 'like' thumb and Chris Bergin's forum-picture). The page source reveals these are .webp images, a format that Edge does not support.

One more reason why I am continuing to use Chrome after I upgraded to Windows 10...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline kch

• Liked: 467
  • Likes Given: 8375
« Reply #505 on: 08/02/2015 05:39 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up!  Another good reason to stay with 8.1 (or earlier) for now -- as usual, Microsoft needs time to find and walk-back the bugs, mis-features, over-reaches, and just-plain-bad decisions in the new product.  We've got a year for the "free" upgrade, and I'm in no hurry to make a mistake (especially one that can't be undone).

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1335
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #506 on: 08/02/2015 06:12 PM »

One more reason why I am continuing to use Chrome after I upgraded to Windows 10...

Same here. Edge I find is something of a disappointment.

Offline Dapholine

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #507 on: 08/03/2015 09:30 AM »
Not to start a which browser is better debate, but Edge is a quite descent yet unfinished browser. Somehow font-rendering and response is a lot better on my specific configuration than both Chrome (ugly fonts and battery drain) or Firefox (slow and often unresponsive). But on my work PC, Chrome works great, so yeah...

Anyhow, back to the bug at hand: Since only Blink-based browsers (Chrome, Opera (since v15), Android-browser) support WebP, this is a forum-bug: When loading the same page in Firefox or Safari, it serves a .jpg image.

Offline PerW

• Gothenburg, Sweden
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #508 on: 08/05/2015 10:50 AM »
How dose the, Add To Buddy List function work?
Will I get an email when this "buddy" write a post?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #509 on: 08/05/2015 11:09 AM »
How dose the, Add To Buddy List function work?
Will I get an email when this "buddy" write a post?

No idea. Came with the forum software....never used it myself. Probably will be gone when we move to the new set up.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #510 on: 08/05/2015 06:18 PM »
Likes have disappeared again
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #511 on: 08/05/2015 06:22 PM »
I'm sure it's Mark, as he's working on site....but hasn't provided a heads up. Checking.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #512 on: 08/05/2015 06:22 PM »
I'm sure it's Mark, as he's working on site....but hasn't provided a heads up. Checking.

You all notice everything right! :).. Yes I'm working on that, expect it to be back < 30 minutes.

Offline nadreck

« Reply #513 on: 08/05/2015 06:24 PM »

You all notice everything right! :).. Yes I'm working on that, expect it to be back < 30 minutes.

Well normally I would just 'like' a response like this, however, given the circumstances I will offer more verbose appreciation!  Thanks for letting us know.
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #514 on: 08/05/2015 06:24 PM »

Chaos, utter chaos with the e-mails I got over that! People like likes ;D

Online mtakala24

« Reply #515 on: 08/05/2015 06:28 PM »
Just a note when reading "the new setup" thing:

Hopefully the new setup is not Xenforo. I've seen a couple of forums go from "OK" to "not good with missing features,  buggy features, no search" and requiring major hardware upgrades, when they've decided to move a large forum to it. Might be a result of having marginal hardware in the first place and poor webmastering knowledge, though.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #516 on: 08/05/2015 06:33 PM »
Just a note when reading "the new setup" thing:

Hopefully the new setup is not Xenforo. I've seen a couple of forums go from "OK" to "not good with missing features,  buggy features, no search" and requiring major hardware upgrades, when they've decided to move a large forum to it. Might be a result of having marginal hardware in the first place and poor webmastering knowledge, though.

Nope, rest assured, we'll stay were we are and IMPROVE from there, not get worse :)

Offline BrianNH

• Likes Given: 266
« Reply #517 on: 08/05/2015 06:57 PM »
Ugh.  What's up with the red hearts for "like"?  It feels too much like a Hello Kitty fan forum.  Can we go back to the thumbs up?

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #518 on: 08/05/2015 07:02 PM »
Ugh.  What's up with the red hearts for "like"?  It feels too much like a Hello Kitty fan forum.  Can we go back to the thumbs up?

Like ?

As in.. the thumbs are back, maybe you need to CTRL-F5 once or twice for them to show up.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2015 07:03 PM by NSF Webmaster »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #519 on: 08/05/2015 07:18 PM »

Chaos, utter chaos with the e-mails I got over that! People like likes ;D

Okay, we are back to 'normal'. A software upgrade accidentally installed a new version of the 'Likes'  functionality onto the production environment. That caused some weird behaviour in the last 45 minutes. Sorry about that ;)

Tags: