Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 227059 times)

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2061
  • Likes Given: 639
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #440 on: 03/22/2015 07:29 PM »
Don't worry, you were just unlucky to see Mark working some software ideas. All back to normal very shortly.

When Mark starts tweeking things the site invariably gets better. Mark: you may tweek away  :)
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #441 on: 03/22/2015 07:31 PM »
All should be normal now. Sorry about that. Next time we'll give a heads up, even it's just five mins.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #442 on: 04/22/2015 12:10 PM »
You may have noticed we're smashing through the "most online" record right now. That's because of the EM Drive thread getting a lot of social media attention.

Unlike a launch event, this is far less of an issue for us as it's not a bunch of people mashing F5 to see if a stage has landed on a barge. ;) This EM Drive demand is much more spread out, whereas the recent SpaceX launch was a surge.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #443 on: 04/22/2015 02:15 PM »
Looks like we successfully negotiated that new "most online" peak. :)

(Time stamp is UK time).

Offline Space OurSoul

• Seattle, WA
  • Liked: 140
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #444 on: 04/22/2015 06:26 PM »
Chris is less than 500 posts away from number 100,000.
(To put that in perspective, a smallish novel is 100,000 _words_.)

So I was thinking about how to respond and show our support. Obviously signing up for L2 is a great way, but I've already done that.

What about a way of reducing the number of posts that Chris has to make in the future? My notion:
Is there any way we can crowd-source a modification for the site that adds a three-way drop-down to the post-a-reply form: "update", "comment" or "party", defaulting to "comment". When one posts, one therefore really has to think about what the content of the post is.
When one reads a thread, once can select a view of just the update posts, or a tree view with updates in the root nodes and subsequent comments collapsed by default.

Such a mod would make the forum easier to read, automatically keep update threads clean (in fact, there wouldn't have to be separate update threads anymore), and thereby reduce a whole bunch of housekeeping that Chris and the moderators have to perform.

A complete OurSoul

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #445 on: 04/22/2015 06:41 PM »
No, that idea won't work as it would only complicate things and be near impossible to port into - and really it isn't required (not least because the amount of posts I make - over 10 years remember - isn't really down to a lack of the above suggestion.) So that's not going to happen. ;)

Thanks for the feedback and the appreciation, but the amount of posts milestones don't mean anything. Never really been one of those "1000 POSTS!!! Balloons for all!" types (I know some people are), or else we'll be celebrating Jim's 10,000th one word response milestone ;D

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #446 on: 04/24/2015 03:56 PM »
Here we go again! About to beat that "most online right now" record from Wednesday....

Close! Got to 7664 and that seemed to be the peak. Servers did fine!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #447 on: 04/24/2015 06:49 PM »
And nothing Space X related launching today either.;)

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 5164
  • Likes Given: 1252
« Reply #448 on: 04/24/2015 07:24 PM »
Here we go again! About to beat that "most online right now" record from Wednesday....

I can't help but picture this as your twitter avatar: a concerned looking space shuttle typing away at something or other, occasionally nervously looking over its shoulder at a bank of servers that may be letting off some steam.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #449 on: 04/24/2015 07:31 PM »

I can't help but picture this as your twitter avatar: a concerned looking space shuttle typing away at something or other, occasionally nervously looking over its shoulder at a bank of servers that may be letting off some steam.

Heh! Close! This is my avatar (from the guy who does the cartoons for Florida Today).

Would love to play with that somehow! ;D

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #450 on: 05/18/2015 12:44 PM »
Got a feeling we're going to beat that record again today. Site's getting really busy again, clearly as a result of my SLS CDR article on site, because SLS is so massively popular......

...Or perhaps it's not SLS, it's the EM Drive thread ;)

Dealing with it ok for now, but will remove guests if it becomes a problem. It's a good test to see how far we can push it, given there's no live event happening - so the lack of F5 mashing may mean we can cope.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #451 on: 05/18/2015 01:07 PM »
There's the new peak then! ;D

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #452 on: 05/18/2015 01:28 PM »
Odd to have such a peak with nothing going on live.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #453 on: 05/18/2015 01:31 PM »

Just takes someone with a ton of followers on twitter to directly link the site.....as an example.

Offline somepitch

• Vancouver
  • Liked: 175
  • Likes Given: 400
« Reply #454 on: 05/18/2015 05:52 PM »

Just takes someone with a ton of followers on twitter to directly link the site.....as an example.

Your article on the Proton failure was linked to from a Gizmodo post - might have contributed!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #455 on: 05/18/2015 06:36 PM »

Your article on the Proton failure was linked to from a Gizmodo post - might have contributed!

That's cool, but that's the news site. The forum is organic in that the news site drives to the forum and the forum drives to the news site, but the surges tend to be direct to one or the other.

Heh! Listen to me. A few years ago I would be scratching my head about this sort of thing. Now I'm all about optimization, page rank value and all that bollocks ;D

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 4931
  • Likes Given: 521
« Reply #456 on: 05/22/2015 01:37 AM »
Not that it matters, but the like-o-meter seems to have dropped a couple hundred off my tally over the last couple days, not sure if there is something going on with the forum software, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #457 on: 05/22/2015 11:45 AM »
Not that it matters, but the like-o-meter seems to have dropped a couple hundred off my tally over the last couple days, not sure if there is something going on with the forum software, just wanted to give you a heads up.

Mine seem the same and the top ten seems the same too. Not sure how one member's likes could drop.....just doesn't make any sense.

I suppose a big thread being deleted would do that, if that thread had you liked a few hundred times, but that's not happened (and no big threads in moderation that fit that criteria).

Totally sure about it?

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 4931
  • Likes Given: 521
« Reply #458 on: 05/23/2015 05:40 AM »
I'm pretty certain it happened. My likes per post ratio was about 2.7 now its below 2.5. Something I posted that had likes must have gotten whacked. Whatever.
« Last Edit: 05/24/2015 02:09 PM by Helodriver »

Online mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 341
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #459 on: 05/24/2015 02:57 PM »
I'm noticing odd behavior in the "Unread Topics" section.  It seems to be cutting off fairly recently, even if I haven't visited in a while.

Case in point - I just checked in at 10:08am EDT, and it only showed me 3 unread topics, dating back to 10:00 am EDT.
But I haven't done a "full" read of the forum in several day.  (I've been installing floor tile...)  There should have been 5-7 pages of unread topics, not just 3 total topics ..

Now, being a good geek, I have a theory ...

I have 2 "modes" that I access the forum in.  My main ("full" read) method is to select "unread topics", work from
oldest to newest reading what's of interest, and then selecting "mark all messages as read".  I typically do this a couple times per day - but this past week, have NOT had a chance to do this more than once or twice during the week.

The other way I access the board is via links in the "report to moderator" messages.  I'll click on a link to a specific post,
see what's up (almost always someone has already taken care of it), and will sometimes navigate directly to the "Moderator Action Section" to see who's done what.

The past several days, I have only pretty much only looked in via the links in the "Report to Moderator" messages.  (Floor tile is hard work ...)   The two occasions I checked via "unrea dtopics" showed only VERY recent activity.

I'm wondering if my "last forum access" time is being used to determine which topics are to be displayed as unread, rather than whatever mechanism "Mark all messages as read" uses?

Alternate therory - It's a cookie thing.  I use two browsers - Chrome and Firefox - on my Windows box at home.  (I use Firefox on a Gentoo Linux box at the office.

Right now, looking at "Unread Topics"

Chrome:  5 Recent unread topics, dating from 10:23 1m to 10:43 am Sun 24 May
Firefox: 35 recent unread topics over 2 pages, dating from 10:12 pm Sat 23 May 20 10:43 am Sun 24 May

Odd, to say the least.  I'd expect the same list in both browsers? 

Tags: