Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 228303 times)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 2733
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #340 on: 01/12/2015 04:27 AM »
Yep, having both of the above-mentioned issues, using Silk browser on a Kindle HD.  It seems to be a forum settings issue.  I'm happy to give it a couple of days to clear up.  Please let us know if we have to reset our preferences once the forum itself is fixed, eh?  Thanks!
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #341 on: 01/12/2015 12:31 PM »
Setting the page size (number of posts) in your profile should be working again.. Thanks for reporting this!

Mark

Offline Swoopert

« Reply #342 on: 01/12/2015 12:57 PM »
It is indeed! Thanks for the quick fix...trying to catch up on the 1,100 message ASDS thread at 20 messages a page was no fun ;)

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 916
  • Likes Given: 137
« Reply #343 on: 01/12/2015 01:07 PM »
Thanks for the work, Mark!

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1449
  • Likes Given: 2381
« Reply #344 on: 01/12/2015 02:46 PM »
I don't see number of 'likes' by other people anymore it was fine few hours earlier. 'Like/Unlike' button functions though. May be my permissions to see are revoked. Posting here as 'New like feedback thread' was old ::). If revoked do tell me ;)
« Last Edit: 01/12/2015 04:05 PM by Ohsin »
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Online Artyom.

« Reply #345 on: 01/12/2015 03:17 PM »
I don't see number of 'likes' by other people anymore it was few hours earlier. 'Like/Unlike' button functions though.
+1  :-\ 
"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in a cradle forever." - Konstantin Eduardovich Tsiolkovsky.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #346 on: 01/12/2015 05:48 PM »
I don't see number of 'likes' by other people anymore it was few hours earlier. 'Like/Unlike' button functions though.
+1  :-\ 

Correct, we were seeing some performance issues lately and we are in the process of solving them. The likes (displayed below each post) are currently disabled for that reason. The like/unlike function continues to work, only the display below each post is not shown right now. Expect them to be back later this week.

Mark

PS They might show up from time to time, while we tweak the software.
« Last Edit: 01/12/2015 05:49 PM by NSF Webmaster »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #347 on: 01/12/2015 06:05 PM »
Also getting a problem where the forums aren't showing the correct number of pages in a thread, and when I click on what appears to be the highest page number, it takes me to the second most recent page.

So for instance, this thread on the forum shows there being 17 pages, and when I click on 17 it takes me to page 33, of 34.

Is this still the case now ?

Mark

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #348 on: 01/12/2015 06:11 PM »
Also getting a problem where the forums aren't showing the correct number of pages in a thread, and when I click on what appears to be the highest page number, it takes me to the second most recent page.

So for instance, this thread on the forum shows there being 17 pages, and when I click on 17 it takes me to page 33, of 34.

Mark

Yes. Buttons work but can't see 'likes' at bottom of posts.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #349 on: 01/12/2015 06:13 PM »

Yes. Buttons work but can't see 'likes' at bottom of posts.

The hidden 'likes' is on purpose (see above). Glad the buttons work again.

Mark

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #350 on: 01/12/2015 06:34 PM »
Oops so sorry :) Thanks! OTOH I don't see any issue with page no. I see 18 here and navigate just fine. :)

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 428
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #351 on: 01/14/2015 12:03 AM »

Mark
Nope, it seems to have cleared up. Thanks!

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #352 on: 01/17/2015 12:04 AM »
Question - is it possible to disable the warning about new replies being posted when you try to post? I appreciate it, but it can get annoying when posting to an active thread, as it will take several attempts sometimes to get a word in.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 535
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #353 on: 01/17/2015 02:07 AM »
Thread for your feedback!

The layout has HUGE empty left and right margins.
As in: most of the screen width goes unused.

See attached screenshot. This is on Firefox 23.0.1.

First, update to 25.0.1, second, ad-blocker ?

I'm on Firefox 25.0 now, no change.
I don't run any ad-blockers or any other FF plug-ins.

strange.
Update to FF 26, make sure you don't enable zoom (mouse wheel scroll action to easy to do..) if still an issue, please make a screenshot and post here.

I'm on Firefox-35.0 now, no change. See attached screenshot.

On Linux, I can resize a window to be wider than physical screen is.
IOW: I can experiment with making window as narrow or as wide as I want, without having to buy an extra-wide monitor.

The result of this experiment is that the horizontal layout is basically fixed:
If I widen the window, blue left/right margins grow while everything else doesn't change.
If I make window narrower and narrower, blue left/right margins disappear, and then a horizontal scrollbar appears, because the remaining layout doesn't fit in the browser window.

The screenshot shows a case of a very wide window.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2015 02:10 AM by gospacex »

Offline TSomers

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1543
« Reply #354 on: 01/17/2015 05:30 AM »
To turn off the new reply notification, go to "Profile" at the top of the page, then to "Look and Layout" in the left sidebar, check "Don't warn on new replies made while posting.", then save the changes to your profile. 

Definitely makes it much easier to reply in live update threads. 

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1435
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #355 on: 01/17/2015 09:19 PM »
To turn off the new reply notification, go to "Profile" at the top of the page, then to "Look and Layout" in the left sidebar, check "Don't warn on new replies made while posting.", then save the changes to your profile. 

Definitely makes it much easier to reply in live update threads.

Awesome! Thanks. Now I can be useful when live things happen!  ;)

Offline Shanuson

• Liked: 171
  • Likes Given: 389
« Reply #356 on: 01/20/2015 07:28 AM »
I'd like to suggest something i thought about, I don't know if it was suggested before, not sure how to search for it  ;):

Currently we are using discussion and update threads seperatly so updates are not lost in the discussion and people don't need to read through post after post of discussions to find the updates. However, this leads to people starting discussions in the update thread (work for mods to delete/move posts) or people posting updates into the discussion thread because they think it is not really an update or so. Information is spreaded over more than 1 thread when it does not have to be:

My idea would be something like the "like" button for posts but named "This is an update"(<- needs a better name maybe :D) button for posts of discussion threads (or maybe all threads?) and two viewing versions of the thread. The first shows every post, the 2nd only thus with only a certain minimum number of TIAU hits, which would then be like the update thread. Also, you cant reply in the 2nd version directly but you jump to the same post in the discussion thread, from where you reply (so you see if people already discussed what you wanted to say). The button could be there only for the first day (or even less) of each post (so posts do not reach the threshold over time). And you can set two levels for notifications: 1st for every post, 2nd only when a new posts reachs the TIAU hit threshold.  So people have a day to click the button and it would be kind of self regulating what appears in the "update thread/version".
Of course mods could elevate posts to update status with 1 click so live reports still work too.
But this would concentrate all info and discussion about a certain topic or event into 1 thread which would be nice but makes browsing for updates in large threads easy. (e.g. thinking about the ASDS thread)

Well this was my brainchild for the day.
Shanuson

P.S. starting to like the sound of TIAU in my head  ::) so maybe not so bad a name ;D

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #357 on: 01/20/2015 09:52 AM »
Can the 'Simple Search within topic' feature be enabled it would be extremely useful. I checked on SMF

The simple search field located at the top of the default SMF theme will, when viewing topics, filter search results to just that topic. The same applies to boards as well - when viewing a board the simple search field will filter the search to just results in that particular board.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #358 on: 01/20/2015 05:23 PM »
Can the 'Simple Search within topic' feature be enabled it would be extremely useful. I checked on SMF

The simple search field located at the top of the default SMF theme will, when viewing topics, filter search results to just that topic. The same applies to boards as well - when viewing a board the simple search field will filter the search to just results in that particular board.

Not wanting to mess too much with the current theme (awaiting new forum version + new templates), How's this ? (see top of page on forum index & topic display pages)

Mark

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #359 on: 01/20/2015 10:28 PM »
Not wanting to mess too much with the current theme (awaiting new forum version + new templates), How's this ? (see top of page on forum index & topic display pages)

Mark

Thanks! Will definitely be using this in some of our longer threads haha.  :D
Clayton Birchenough
Astro. Engineer and Computational Mathematics @ ERAU

Tags: