Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 227305 times)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1434
  • Likes Given: 4475
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #260 on: 01/10/2014 01:23 PM »
Like Schlocks's Mercenary, quality before revenue. This is what makes this site so special.

On an unrelated note, I'm using a mix of Tapatalk, Mobile and Web. I've found that one I watch the latest posting on Tapatalk, I get the thread greyed out. When I get to either the mobile or web version, within the specific Forum View (say Robotic Exploration), the threads are correctly shown as fully read, but, from the Index View, the forum (again, let's say Robotic Exploration) is shown in bold as if it has had new messages since my last visit. I'm assuming Tapatalk feeds back the thread read flag but it feeds it into the database and jumps the forum view flag?
« Last Edit: 01/10/2014 01:24 PM by baldusi »

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 565
« Reply #261 on: 01/13/2014 03:25 PM »
Thank you to the mystery moderator who fixed my issue.  Much appreciated.
Paul

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #262 on: 01/13/2014 03:51 PM »

Jester sorted it. I thought you had seen it and I thought it best to delete that thread as it looked negative on the front of site. New people viewing the site would see "Account deactivation" and think "Oh!" ;D

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #263 on: 01/13/2014 04:19 PM »

Jester sorted it. I thought you had seen it and I thought it best to delete that thread as it looked negative on the front of site. New people viewing the site would see "Account deactivation" and think "Oh!" ;D
Understood, my apologies, didnt mean to tarnish to "look" of the forums. Just like the motto of my Province of Ontario that is  stamped onto every license plate/tag. We must "KEEP IT BEAUTIFUL".

Again thank you for fixing my issue, I was able to enter my correct email address.
Paul

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
« Reply #264 on: 01/13/2014 04:30 PM »
Is there a section that explains the progression of membership recognition on this site? Member, Full Member etc., as well as the digital light up bar that is present just above the avatars or just below the membership staus indicator(Member, Full Member).

I went through the Simple Machines on line directory and went through it, and even searched some, but saw o mention of it.

I have been going through the site trying to expand my enjoyment of all it has to offer.  I need to educate myself on how best to make use of the sites search function.  Simply enetering a single word gets you many respnses, but not what I'm after. Same goes for simple Googleing, optimizing seach queries can bring more than just the "low hanging fruit".
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 04:31 PM by Hog »
Paul

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
  • Liked: 2791
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #265 on: 01/13/2014 04:56 PM »
Is there a section that explains the progression of membership recognition on this site? Member, Full Member etc., as well as the digital light up bar that is present just above the avatars or just below the membership staus indicator(Member, Full Member).

excuse the crappy table:

Name:             Number of bars    number of posts needed:

Member           0    number of posts needed:                 1
Full Member    *    number of posts needed:              100
Full Member    **    number of posts needed:            200
Full Member    ***    number of posts needed:          300
Full Member    ****  number of posts needed:          400
Senior Member    *****  number of posts needed:  2000

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #266 on: 01/13/2014 05:05 PM »

excuse the crappy table:

We need to change that as it's totally wrong to base it on post count.

I wonder what we can do with it?

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
« Reply #267 on: 01/13/2014 05:09 PM »

excuse the crappy table:

PM coming

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #268 on: 01/13/2014 05:31 PM »

I agree, it should be about quality of posts, not quantity.

I really liked that idea of letting the community vote on the credibility of other members based on quality of posts, although I can easily see how it could be abused by people who are for one thing, "voting down" people against another thing, etc.

One possible way to solve it would be to allow the option to give a "plus" to a member you liked, but remove the option to give a "minus" - that way "voting people down" could not happen, as you can only give a positive vote to a member.

Also, on that subject, when is the "thanks" button coming to posts?

-----
Edit:

Or maybe the aforementioned could be combined, and member stars could be linked to the amount of "thanks" they get?
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 05:38 PM by Space Pete »
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #269 on: 01/13/2014 05:36 PM »
Yeah, "Karma" would be abused.

The "likes" button is coming when Mark pulls his finger out. ;)

Offline M129K

• I don't know what to put here.
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #270 on: 01/13/2014 05:53 PM »
Yeah, it would be better not to turn this forum into another reddit.

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
« Reply #271 on: 01/13/2014 05:54 PM »

As I needed to "play" with the feature to understand its options, i've enabled "karma" (or better, recommendations) currently limited to people having more than 200 posts and you can only give 1 recommendation per day.

if rubbish = delete and we wait for likes button....
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 05:56 PM by Jester »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #272 on: 01/13/2014 06:00 PM »
currently limited to people having more than 200 posts and you can only give 1 recommendation per day.

That's a good idea. My only suggestion would be to remove the "Negative" option entirely. As the old saying goes "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Note:

I've been doing some testing - I only get the "you can only give one recommendation per day" notice when I try to give two recommendations to the same member. Otherwise I seem to be able to give as many recommendations as I like to as many different members as I like.

Also, does this mean that after 24 hours, I will be able to give a recommendation to a member that I have already recommended? Because that can't be right.

Or maybe it works differently for me because I'm a mod?
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 06:08 PM by Space Pete »
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
« Reply #273 on: 01/13/2014 06:10 PM »
currently limited to people having more than 200 posts and you can only give 1 recommendation per day.

That's a good idea. My only suggestion would be to remove the "Negative" option entirely. As the old saying goes "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Note:

I've been doing some testing - I only get the "you can only give one recommendation per day" notice when I try to give two recommendations to the same member. Otherwise I seem to be able to give as many recommendations as I like to as many different members as I like.

Also, does this mean that after 24 hours, I will be able to give a recommendation to a member that I have already recommended? Because that can't be right.

Or maybe it works differently for me because I'm a mod?

1 recco per user per day

except admins

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5413
  • Likes Given: 3568
« Reply #274 on: 01/13/2014 06:11 PM »

As I needed to "play" with the feature to understand its options, i've enabled "karma" (or better, recommendations) currently limited to people having more than 200 posts and you can only give 1 recommendation per day.

if rubbish = delete and we wait for likes button....

Where would we see this if it was working?  (Edit: NVM, tis under the user avatar to left)

My unsolicited view.. scrap all the gradations of stars and boxes and the full vs senior titles except maybe for the one that you cross early on (10 posts is enough to see if someone is a troll/spammer, I expect)

The notion of recommending posts is useful but use it to find posts worthy of promoting in external media, rather than rewarding members... the only flags I want to see on members would be "are they a mod" and "do they work in the industry"

Take that for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 06:12 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #275 on: 01/13/2014 06:16 PM »
1 recco per user per day

except admins

Well I still seem to be able to recommend as many people as I like - I only get a message telling me I cannot do more than one within 24 hours when I try to recommend the same person twice.

Also, I did a quick test on your recommendations - you had 2 recommendations, but when I gave you a negative recommendation, it went straight down to 0 recommendations. Surely it should just go down to 1? Then when I gave you positive again (as I didn't really want to give you a negative, of course ;)) it went straight back up to 2 from 0.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 06:19 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
« Reply #276 on: 01/13/2014 06:19 PM »
ok, lessons learned, no karma and no settings plays as it messed up the forum, my apologies

grrrr, hate stable software which isnt stable....
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 06:19 PM by Jester »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #277 on: 01/13/2014 06:19 PM »
Always worth a try, so that's a good move.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #278 on: 01/13/2014 06:22 PM »
Thanks for trying, Jester. :)

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
« Reply #279 on: 01/13/2014 06:25 PM »
in the mean time, during my rant, I've had a play with the likes and I THINK i've solved the issue breaking likes.

caveat:

- It only works on this default theme (mobile theme is out, needs work anyway)
- you can only like every 300 seconds (for now, until I get the software bugs worked out)
- you need to have at least 1 like yourself before you can like somebody else.
- the double likes on the bars will go once I clean the software (theme issue)

tweaks coming....
« Last Edit: 01/13/2014 06:43 PM by Jester »

Tags: