Author Topic: Meteor Strikes Chelyabinsk, Russia  (Read 72058 times)

Online Robotbeat

• Liked: 1034
  • Minnesota
Re: Meteor Strikes Chelyabinsk, Russia
« Reply #135 on: 02/15/2013 07:10 PM »
It's a good thing in my opinion. 

Oh, I agree there, but talk is cheap.
What are you doing about it?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online Jorge

• Liked: 2
« Reply #136 on: 02/15/2013 07:11 PM »
Live updates:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/15/meteorite-explodes-over-russian-urals-live-updates

Incredibly surreal event. All of a sudden, all eyes are on space...

Re-linking this image, has a lot of details on the paths of the meteroite and DA14.

With that second image, I'm satisfied they're unrelated.
JRF

Offline ugordan

• Liked: 115
    • My mainly Cassini image gallery
« Reply #137 on: 02/15/2013 07:15 PM »
Found a video with a full length meteor going through atmosphere to shockwave impact.

Meteorite passes by at 4:40 in video.
Shockwave impact at 7:01 in video.
Thats a dramatic 2m21s in time delay, or 48km away assuming speed of sound at sea level.
The angle is also oblique as well, but we should be able to guesstimate the altitude from that.

Wow, thanks for the find! Watching this, I'll have to revise my energy estimate. Producing that amount of bang and window movement at that distance, this couldn't have been produced by a low kiloton equivalent.

Dare I say around 1 megaton event?

Edit: note that this is also probably the first video that shows 2 or 3 distinct fragments after the bright breakup.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2013 07:20 PM by ugordan »

Offline notsorandom

• Liked: 34
  • Ohio
« Reply #138 on: 02/15/2013 07:16 PM »
Let the hearings begin!

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/283427-house-committee-to-hold-hearing-on-asteroids-that-pose-a-potential-threat-to-earth
It does make NASA less of a target for cuts (from just a social/political perspective).

This is a legitimate threat to humanity and our nation. As real as North Korea or Iran.

Sometimes I really have to wonder about space advocates who talk about how the public doesn't care and either how that's unfair/stupid or how it's inevitable. And when space DOES enter the public's eye, they brush it off, poo-poo it, and usually don't take the opportunity to educate people.
It doesn't surprise me all that much that threats from NEOs are not talked about that much by space advocates. There is little to no relationship between asteroid threats and the various issues people tent to be passionate about (human spaceflight, Mars, etc.).

Offline ugordan

« Reply #139 on: 02/15/2013 07:17 PM »
What are you doing about it?

Nothing. Not a U.S. taxpayer so my opinion is inconsequential for all practical purposes.

Offline mmeijeri

• Liked: 30
  • Martijn Meijering
  • NL
« Reply #140 on: 02/15/2013 07:18 PM »

Hmm, exquisite timing then.
May Decatur do to SLS what Decatur did to the USS Philadelphia.

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1111
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility
    • Milton Train Works LEGO site
« Reply #141 on: 02/15/2013 07:20 PM »
It doesn't surprise me all that much that threats from NEOs are not talked about that much by space advocates. There is little to no relationship between asteroid threats and the various issues people tent to be passionate about (human spaceflight, Mars, etc.).

Really doing a good job of defense requires a LOT of eyes watching (to find) and pretty serious space based infrastructure (to remediate). We spacers should be riding this pony because space based infrastructure/manufacturing is the key to everything else.

IMHO anyway
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk

Offline Star One

• Liked: 72
  • UK
« Reply #142 on: 02/15/2013 07:21 PM »

Hmm, exquisite timing then.

Useful timing as far as getting the issue up the agenda.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
  • Liked: 383
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
« Reply #143 on: 02/15/2013 07:23 PM »

Unlikely. Estimates have been ~10 tonnes and 20km/s, that gives 'just' 2TJ, little shy of half kiloton worth of KE.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline smoliarm

• Liked: 29
  • Moscow, Russia
« Reply #144 on: 02/15/2013 07:24 PM »
Found a video with a full length meteor going through atmosphere to shockwave impact.

Meteorite passes by at 4:40 in video.
Shockwave impact at 7:01 in video.
Thats a dramatic 2m21s in time delay, or 48km away assuming speed of sound at sea level.
The angle is also oblique as well, but we should be able to guesstimate the altitude from that.

One more full video of event allowing more accurate estimate, since the location is known:

Local time is in the low-right corner
The camera is in the northern outskirt of the city, no more than 10 km from epicenter.
First flash = 9:20:03
Second flash = 9:20:05 (major)
Shock wave = 9:22:22
Delay = 137 sec.
Now, on speed of sound - it was minus 13 C, altitude ~ 205 m. I did simple graph approximation for [0.25 -- 40 km] and got average 305 m/sec. This gives distance of 41.8 km. Assuming the range to epicenter as 10 km, the altitude of explosion was 40.6 km
Given the range of 10 km is a max estimate, I'd give the final number as 41 +/- 0.5 km

Online jcm

• Liked: 42
  • Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
« Reply #145 on: 02/15/2013 07:28 PM »

Unlikely. Estimates have been ~10 tonnes and 20km/s, that gives 'just' 2TJ, little shy of half kiloton worth of KE.

New estimates based on infrasound stations (and I don't know how they
derive the result) claim 15m dia, 7000 tonnes, and hundreds of kT
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline ugordan

« Reply #146 on: 02/15/2013 07:28 PM »

No way was this amount of bang produced by 0.5 KT. NASA are now estimating the diameter at 15 m and mass at about 7000 tons. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/news/asteroid20130215.html

Online jcm

• Liked: 42
  • Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
« Reply #147 on: 02/15/2013 07:29 PM »
I agree with Jorge's latest that it seems unrelated - unless maybe it aerobraked in the southern hemisphere unseen  and ended up making half an orbit, like an Apollo/Zond skip reentry
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
  • Liked: 383
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
« Reply #148 on: 02/15/2013 07:33 PM »
No way was this amount of bang produced by 0.5 KT. NASA are now estimating the diameter at 15 m and mass at about 7000 tons.

I did wonder that 0.5kt sound low. But 7000 tons .. wow!

edit: about the mlinder second image, isn't it weird that the approximated meteor trajectory is almost straight from the sun? Things flying such orbit should have had insane velocity, no? Or maybe I just read it incorrectly.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2013 07:37 PM by R7 »
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline mmeijeri

• Liked: 30
  • Martijn Meijering
  • NL
« Reply #149 on: 02/15/2013 07:35 PM »
Any idea on whether the alleged event in Cuba is real? Amusingly, there could still be a link between the Cuban event, if it happened, and either the big asteroid or the Russian meteor, but not both, now that we know that the latter two are unrelated. Or the Cuban event could be a false report, which is what I’m inclined to believe.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2013 07:35 PM by mmeijeri »
May Decatur do to SLS what Decatur did to the USS Philadelphia.

Tags: