Author Topic: Orbital's Antares A-One Processing Flow Updates  (Read 88896 times)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1125
  • Likes Given: 245
Aaawww... I was supposed to go to the Rhode Island Flower show on Friday. Guess I'm gonna have to cancel on my wife ...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline block51

• Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 1
Aaawww... I was supposed to go to the Rhode Island Flower show on Friday. Guess I'm gonna have to cancel on my wife ...

I'm headed down to SC for a beer festival myself so if it goes Friday I'll miss it.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 171
  • Likes Given: 0
2 hotfire tests the same day? Wow! Now that's space geek heaven.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
NASA has issued the attached notice to mariners activating the Wallops danger area for the hotfire test on Feb. 22, 4-9 pm.  Notes the water & marsh area between the island and the mainland will also be closed.

Makes it kinda official, right?

Online russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1244
  • Likes Given: 598
NASA has issued the attached notice to mariners activating the Wallops danger area for the hotfire test on Feb. 22, 4-9 pm.  Notes the water & marsh area between the island and the mainland will also be closed.

We can expect an FAA issued NOTAM for the 7K Test in next 48 Hours.

Offline Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 445
  • Likes Given: 1264
Clearly this will be making a lot more ground-level smoke than a launch - is there a preferred wind direction for the test?
Max Q for humanity becoming spacefaring

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Sorry to put all your hopes up - I double checked, and it appears that the F9 hotfire has been moved away from the 22nd. Well at least that means one less distraction to this hotfire!  :-[
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 171
F9 source please... Also do we have a time for Orbital's hotfire on the 22nd.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

F9 source please... Also do we have a time for Orbital's hotfire on the 22nd.

The L2 updates threads. No time stated for Orbital's hotfire there though.
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline block51

• Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 1

It was on the programmable LED sign when I drove through the gate at Wallops this morning. THAT makes it official...  ;D

Also, speaking to the wind direction, I heard that there is a wind direction and magnitude limit but I'm not sure what they are. I do believe it has to do with all the smoke / steam that will be generated.

edit: And 6 pm - 9 pm was the time stated on the sign. Too bad I'm not going to be in town!
« Last Edit: 02/20/2013 11:51 AM by block51 »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728

edit: And 6 pm - 9 pm was the time stated on the sign. Too bad I'm not going to be in town!

a possible nighttime test, should be a good show for locals.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1125
  • Likes Given: 245
a possible nighttime test, should be a good show for locals.

Just insert jiffy pop in flame trench....

« Last Edit: 02/20/2013 03:36 PM by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1841
  • Likes Given: 407
I'd expect seeing the smoke and vapor cloud in daylight would be more impressive than what little light is expected to be seen from under the engines.

Online russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1244
  • Likes Given: 598
Antares Engine Test Scheduled for Feb. 2202.20.13

WALLOPS ISLAND, Va. – NASA's Wallops Flight Facility will provide launch range support for an Orbital Sciences Corp. Antares rocket engine test scheduled for Feb. 22 at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport's Pad-0A.

The window for the engine test, or hot fire, is 6- 9 p.m. EST.

The test will fire the Antares' dual AJ26 rocket engines, which will generate a combined total thrust of 680,000 lbs., for about 30 seconds while the first stage of the test rocket will be held down on the pad. The hot fire will demonstrate the readiness of the rocket's first stage and launch pad fueling systems to support upcoming flights.

The test will be visible and audible in the Wallops Island local area. Given the broad window and non-operational nature of the test, no live webcast or formal public viewing is planned. NASA's Wallops Flight Facility will provide range support for the hot fire, including communications, data collection, range safety and area clearance.

The test is a key milestone leading up to the first flight of the Antares rocket, which is preliminary scheduled for about four to six weeks following the completion of the engine test.

Orbital is building and testing its new rocket and Cygnus cargo spacecraft under NASA's Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program. NASA initiatives like COTS are helping develop a robust U.S. commercial space transportation industry with the goal of achieving safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation to and from the International Space Station and low-Earth orbit.

A demonstration flight of Antares and Cygnus to the space station is planned for later this year. Following the successful completion of the COTS demonstration mission to the station, Orbital will begin regular cargo resupply flights to the orbiting laboratory through NASA's Commercial Resupply Services contract.

The launch pad is the first of its kind constructed in the United States in decades. Preparations at the pad for the hot fire test were enabled through partnership between the Spaceport, Orbital and NASA, including representatives from Wallops; NASA's Stennis Space Center in Bay St. Louis, Miss.; NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida; NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Hunstville, Ala.; and NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

For more information about Orbital Sciences Corp. and the Antares rocket, visit: http://www.orbital.com/SpaceLaunch/Antares/

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 12
Has the purge seals popped yet, liquids started to flow down there, things ignited and violent thrust ensued?

T-12 minutes.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 954
  • Likes Given: 662
Whoa, gotta postpone beauty sleep then and hope for live reports. Wishing to everyone involved the best of luck!

AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline smith5se

Has the purge seals popped yet, liquids started to flow down there, things ignited and violent thrust ensued?

T-12 minutes.

Will it still go with light rain?
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 12
IGNITION!

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 30
Everything so far looks nominal - now a 3 hour detanking process.
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline cycleroadie

• Launches: 131, 133, Curiosity, ORB-2, EFT-1
  • Apalachin, NY , Doug Hurley's from here :-)
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
Tweet from Orbital "hot fire test just completed. Full duration. Looked good, but data needs to be checked."
Lloyd
"As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. God bless the crew of Apollo 17." - Commander Gene Cernan , Apollo 17

Tags: