Author Topic: Revell's 1/48 Apollo Lunar Spacecraft  (Read 6880 times)

Offline MattJL

• I pretend to know what I'm doing, and it shows.
  • United States
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Revell's 1/48 Apollo Lunar Spacecraft
« on: 01/18/2013 11:18 PM »
(I've posted this with a generic title because I noticed the lack of a thread on this topic and think one is needed).

I had the good fortune to acquire the 2009 re-issue of this kit for the holidays, and I've been thinking about the paint scheme.  I'm attempting to make it resemble the original release (1969 - ish, I'm not sure if there were a lot of changes in the early issue), and so I only took a passing glance at the pics on the sides of the box.

Until recently.  I started watching CBS's coverage of Apollo 13, and I noticed something rather curious.  The model LM is gold and black (as opposed to black and white, which I expected), and the paint scheme's very similar to the one shown on the sides of the box. The LM's first clearly visible at 3:40 in this clip:

So which one's most accurate to late 1969?  Or is the model used by CBS something else entirely?

EDIT:  Didn't realize that the LM was visible in the thumbnail.  Ah well.
« Last Edit: 01/18/2013 11:21 PM by MattJL »
The Administration does not support blowing up planets.

Offline MattJL

• United States
Re: Revell's 1/48 Apollo Lunar Spacecraft
« Reply #1 on: 01/20/2013 02:29 AM »
I hate to bump this thread, but I've found a better angle of the LM and mucked about with the contrast a bit to get a slightly clearer picture.

EDIT:  It's as clear as mud, but the front of the ascent stage looks pretty similar.  Also looks like Q4 (?) has a similar pattern to the one on the box art, but that's probably a trick of the light.
« Last Edit: 01/20/2013 02:32 AM by MattJL »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: 01/20/2013 02:42 PM »
LM-3 (Apollo 5) and Apollo 9 had at least two circular shaped black areas as is shown in your picture on the "front" quadrents.  I am not so sure about the back quads.

Offline MattJL

• United States
« Reply #3 on: 01/20/2013 07:03 PM »
LM-3 (Apollo 5) and Apollo 9 had at least two circular shaped black areas as is shown in your picture on the "front" quadrents.  I am not so sure about the back quads.

I'll be darned, I never noticed that before!  From what I've seen, the back quads were solid black.

My suspicions are that the image shown on the box (and the paint scheme given in the instructions, I think) represents LM-5.  So then why make the CSM white and the LM the "correct" colors?

I'm beginning to think that to settle the deal, I'm going to give it the black and white color scheme.  Just seems "right."

Then again, the mock-up that's behind the crew of Apollo 12 is both black and white and has a foil texture to it.  Wonder why nobody's done that before.  Hmm...  ;)

Offline MattJL

• United States
« Reply #4 on: 01/20/2013 07:06 PM »
Here's the mock-up I was talking about, by the way.

The foil on the ascent stage kinda reminds me of Kapton with the silver side facing out.
« Last Edit: 01/20/2013 08:44 PM by MattJL »

Offline Ima Penin Diaz

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 02/24/2013 02:38 PM »
Hi ... this'll be my first post and I'm wondering ...

1. I'm not sure what the rules are for posting pix. I've seen images, and seen links to images ... which method is preferred?

2. I'm in the process of building a 1/48 Apollo Lunar Spacecraft Stack ... but have been stalled for a few months, and I'm hoping this will prompt me to re-start it. Should I start my own thread or did you intend this to be a compilation of builds?

Thanx alot

Offline MattJL

• United States
« Reply #6 on: 02/24/2013 09:17 PM »
Hi ... this'll be my first post and I'm wondering ...

1. I'm not sure what the rules are for posting pix. I've seen images, and seen links to images ... which method is preferred?

2. I'm in the process of building a 1/48 Apollo Lunar Spacecraft Stack ... but have been stalled for a few months, and I'm hoping this will prompt me to re-start it. Should I start my own thread or did you intend this to be a compilation of builds?

Thanx alot
Welcome to NSF!  To answer your questions:

1. I'm not really sure which one's preferred, sorry to say.

2. I intended this to be a compilation of builds and/or a general thread about it.

Tags: Apollo  Revell  1/48