Author Topic: Diorama - Launch Complex 39A  (Read 6805 times)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 550
  • Likes Given: 22
Diorama - Launch Complex 39A
« on: 11/29/2012 07:07 PM »
Hi all together,

for all those interested, may even want to build a Diorama to a Space shuttle launch pad, this is the right place.  8)

I'm just building the MLP-2 for my major project Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 using the Revell Kit 4911 as a basis to, among other things. Also the building of a Diorama of the Launch Complex is planned for the completion of the project.  ;)

As now the member OV135 has put questions in my thread, which concern the whole launch complex with its various service structures, I hereby open this new topic, in the hope that another user to be interested in too and can help us.  :)

There is in the NSF forum the content related topic Launch Complex 39 Q&A for discussion the General technical questions of the LC 39. Because this thread but should not be disturbed or extended by questions of the Modelers unnecessarily, the model building-specific problems can be discussed here.  ;)

Among other things, the first special questions concern the service structures on the West and East side of the pad in the immediate vicinity of the MLP. It involves among others the ESC Stair Tower and the 9099 Tower, the Utilities Interface Platforms on the West and East side as well as to the North Bridge, which are shown in the following image.

Source: NASA

Such service structures in the Revell kits 4910/4911 but are not included.  :( If you want to build such a diorama with all these structures, you need drawings of these facilities and/or but good photos in order to do-it-yourself by scratch-building all.  8)

Now, I hope that OV135 here connects with his specific questions, I am also very interested in.  ;)

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline OV135

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Diorama - Launch Complex 39A
« Reply #1 on: 11/29/2012 10:49 PM »
Yep, this extra set of structures and details do make the LC-39 kit look real. 

The same goes for the Apollo Saturn V LUT.

This shows a close up of the service structures.

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_US/apollo/ksc/LC39/LC39%20connection%20sol.jpg
« Last Edit: 11/29/2012 10:51 PM by OV135 »

Offline shuttlemodeler

• AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
  • hamden CT
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2013 11:31 AM »
the image you are showing are from the apollo era.  not how the structures look in the shuttle era.   i have some good pics i'll dig them up.  and post them
"It is enough if one tries everyday to comprehend a little of this mystery"
(A. Einstein)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #3 on: 09/09/2013 01:10 PM »
Wow, nice that you will share them, then we can see the differences.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline shuttlemodeler

• AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
  • hamden CT
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: 09/11/2013 11:39 AM »
one resource that i am finding invaluable is NASA's virtual tour website.   http://nasatech.net/nasatechvirtual.html.  You can pan around the pad's and get somepretty good detail of various structures.
"It is enough if one tries everyday to comprehend a little of this mystery"
(A. Einstein)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #5 on: 09/11/2013 12:42 PM »
Yep, that's an amazing source, I know it. There are nice galleries with a lot of detail pics. 

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction: