Author Topic: "The Challenger" movie (2020)  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 147
"The Challenger" movie (2020)
« on: 10/03/2018 01:18 PM »
Michelle Williams has been signed to portray Christa McAuliffe in a new biopic "The Challenger" to start filming in 2019 for a likely 2020 release.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/michelle-williams-christa-mcauliffe-the-challenger-movie-cast-1202474790/

McAuliffe was previously portrayed by Karen Allen in the 1990 made-for-TV movie "Challenger".

Online sanman

• Liked: 655
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: "The Challenger" movie (2020)
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2018 04:22 PM »
I guess Alan Alda is too old to play Richard Feynman?

Offline OV135

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2018 11:26 PM »
Karen Allen most physically resembled the late teacher. The 90s movie did a better job casting people who looked more like their historical counterparts. James Cameron did this for Titanic, hence accuracy.

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 352
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2018 12:59 AM »
William Hurt played Feynman in the 2013 TV movie "The Challenger" (find it on Amazon streaming).   I thought he captured Feynman's personality quite well.  The movie was entirely about the investigation and the only astronaut portrayed was Sally Ride.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Zero-G

• Switzerland
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2018 05:45 PM »
The movie was entirely about the investigation and the only astronaut portrayed was Sally Ride.
...and Neil Armstrong.
"I still don't understand who I am: the first human or the last dog in space." - Yuri Gagarin

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 1055
« Reply #5 on: 10/16/2018 07:03 PM »
It is an extremely sensitive subject, to say the least, and they would be better not screw up / take liberty with any important detail. I think it is pretty courageous from them to tackle such a tragedy, and a rather recent one with that. There has been a lot of Apollo-13 heroism in the history of the space program, and Hollywood did some good movies about them. A movie about a failure is far harder, when you think about it. Plus of course no possible happy ending, only tragedy and heart break.
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Offline grakenverb

• New York
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #6 on: 10/21/2018 09:14 PM »
It is an extremely sensitive subject, to say the least, and they would be better not screw up / take liberty with any important detail. I think it is pretty courageous from them to tackle such a tragedy, and a rather recent one with that. There has been a lot of Apollo-13 heroism in the history of the space program, and Hollywood did some good movies about them. A movie about a failure is far harder, when you think about it. Plus of course no possible happy ending, only tragedy and heart break.

I agree with you, but calling something that happened 32 years ago "rather recent" is a bit of a stretch. It's all in perspective I guess, for those involved it must seem like it just happened, but there is a whole generation who grew up with no memory of the event.

« Last Edit: 10/21/2018 09:18 PM by grakenverb »

Tags: