Author Topic: New book(and movie?) about Moon colony -- Artemis  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Oli

• Liked: 378
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: New book(and movie?) about Moon colony -- Artemis
« Reply #20 on: 11/12/2017 05:10 PM »
I think that neither Musk nor anybody else seems to be considering, what economic reason is there to go to this other planet? So far, Ive never heard an answer to that. Its like, We can put people on Mars! And Im like, Why? So theyll be there? Well, we can put people on Antarctica, why not do that?

It's disappointing that the author seems to be unaware that we have put people on Antarctica, the population is between 1000 in winter and 5000 in summer, bigger than his hypothetical Moon city.

None of them are permanent residents, so technically it's not a colony.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2428
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: 11/13/2017 05:35 PM »

I suspect that there are a few people who stay for a number of years. You'd want your facilities people to be experienced, for instance. But nobody is born, grows up, and retires there. It's a research station.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 413
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #22 on: 11/17/2017 03:53 AM »
I think that neither Musk nor anybody else seems to be considering, what economic reason is there to go to this other planet? So far, Ive never heard an answer to that. Its like, We can put people on Mars! And Im like, Why? So theyll be there? Well, we can put people on Antarctica, why not do that?

It's disappointing that the author seems to be unaware that we have put people on Antarctica, the population is between 1000 in winter and 5000 in summer, bigger than his hypothetical Moon city.

No, it's not a colony, but the paragraph I quoted is not talking explicitly about colony, he is doubting human will ever reach Mars, which is an absurd position. Colonization is not the only reason for going to another planet.