Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS-2 SpX-2 MISSION GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 300366 times)

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon CRS SpX-2 MISSION GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #340 on: 02/26/2013 12:56 AM »
Posted in the Updates thread:

Posted 14 minutes ago on SpaceX's facebook page:

The Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft in SpaceXís hangar! Just T-4 days until launch, targeted for this Friday March 1 at 10:10AM ET.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152594840350131&set=a.10150303260090131.563831.353851465130&type=1&theater

The Draco openings are covered in white.  There are no "Remove before launch" tags.  Do they just burst that material when they fire?

What is the copper/brass/gold element on top?  An antenna?

Is the aft-looking launch camera in the protrusion on the tunnel on the second stage?

I think it looks darn good, and am looking forward to the launch.

The Dracos are covered with rain covers that come off on ascent. The gold colored plate is one of the locations where 2nd stage and the trunk bolt together.
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1807
« Reply #341 on: 02/26/2013 07:52 AM »

The Dracos are covered with rain covers that come off on ascent. The gold colored plate is one of the locations where 2nd stage and the trunk bolt together.

Thanks.

I really appreciate that you post your on site hands on knowledge.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 2132
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #342 on: 02/26/2013 08:06 AM »

Thanks.

I really appreciate that you post your on site hands on knowledge.

I think we all do! Thanks from here too padrat.
DM

Online dsmillman

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 2

Offline Joffan

• NSF Irregular
  • Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 1189
« Reply #344 on: 02/26/2013 05:56 PM »
The ability of SpaceX to hotfire the Falcon and turn it round for launch four days later is impressive. Perhaps even more is their confidence that they can do this. It shows how far they have matured the launch process for Falcon.
Max Q for humanity becoming spacefaring

Online Comga

• Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #345 on: 02/26/2013 06:38 PM »
Press Kit for CRS2

http://www.spacex.com/downloads/crs2-press-kit.pdf
On page 6, something I hadn't realized:

Quote from: SpaceX
Dragonís landing is controlled by automatic firing of its Draco thrusters during reentry.
(bold added)

Does this just mean damping out attitude oscillations or are we talking about steering here?

Steering, otherwise they would not be able to achieve the precision they have so far. (all landings appear to have been within a mile of the target)

Do you have distances for the offsets of the landings from the targets for COTS-2+ and CRS-1?  If so, can you tell us the source, mainly so that we can go there after the CRS-2 landing?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #346 on: 02/26/2013 10:14 PM »
Just posted on SpaceX's YouTube channel:

Flame trench looks like it has been enlarged?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1218
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #347 on: 02/26/2013 10:24 PM »
Just posted on SpaceX's YouTube channel:

Flame trench looks like it has been enlarged?
New holes in the pad surface are approximately same spot and dimensions to those just built at SLC-4E The part inside the TEL tracks is next to be removed for new SLC-4E based TEL hydraulic lifting device. It is confirmed that F9 and FH will use same HIF.

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #348 on: 02/26/2013 11:11 PM »

It is confirmed that F9 and FH will use same HIF.

Just to be clear: are you talking about SLC-40 or SLC-4E here? (or both?)
Douglas Clark

Offline corrodedNut

• Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #349 on: 02/26/2013 11:39 PM »

Just to be clear: are you talking about SLC-40 or SLC-4E here? (or both?)

See my post here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=30385.msg1017796#msg1017796

« Last Edit: 02/27/2013 01:36 AM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11186
  • Likes Given: 331
« Reply #350 on: 02/26/2013 11:59 PM »

Not at CCAFS

Offline russianhalo117

« Reply #351 on: 02/27/2013 12:14 AM »

Not at CCAFS
HIF:
Can you link me or post confirmed information about HIF at CCAFS that is not from a forum. Both HIF's in photos and video appear the same dimensions.
Pad:
The changes to the SLC-40 pad surface closely resemble the holes at SLC-4E. Only the center between the tracks has not been removed yet for the new TEL lifting devices.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #352 on: 02/27/2013 12:28 AM »
russianhalo117, be clear. Are you speculating based on the images or do you have a source for what you claim?

Offline russianhalo117

« Reply #353 on: 02/27/2013 12:54 AM »
russianhalo117, be clear. Are you speculating based on the images or do you have a source for what you claim?
it is based from what is shown in the SpaceX Videos on Youtube and comparing the images to videos. Based on what I analyzed I arrive at the conclusion that TEL end of both pad will be similar. Unless the video and imagery is deceiving in nature I credit these as valid sources of imagery and video since they are published. Since SpaceX itself rarely gives insight to this it make things more difficult to try and understand. Given the imagery in the assembly of SLC-4E's FH TEL, the track spacing appears close or identical to SLC-40 track spacing. Future imagery of both pads during mod construction will make things much clearer to me.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 665
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #354 on: 02/27/2013 12:57 AM »
Ok - but since the transporter at SLC-4E will not use tracks at all, how do you come to a conclusion based off track size?

Offline russianhalo117

« Reply #355 on: 02/27/2013 01:07 AM »
Ok - but since the transporter at SLC-4E will not use tracks at all, how do you come to a conclusion based off track size?
Meant to specify road tracks I do not know what you call it in the USA since I grew up mainly in Europe.
the hole between the road tracks for the TEL at SLC -4E is about same width of center between the inside rail tracks at SLC-40. Yes, it is based off published media, but until SpaceX answers questions I will not fully know at this point.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11186
  • Likes Given: 331
« Reply #356 on: 02/27/2013 01:29 AM »

Not at CCAFS
HIF:
Can you link me or post confirmed information about HIF at CCAFS that is not from a forum. Both HIF's in photos and video appear the same dimensions.
Pad:
The changes to the SLC-40 pad surface closely resemble the holes at SLC-4E. Only the center between the tracks has not been removed yet for the new TEL lifting devices.

There is a thread showing it. 

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #357 on: 02/27/2013 08:09 AM »
A while ago, in another thread, someone Photoshopped  two more cores onto a picture of F9 being rolled out of the hangar. This made it pretty clear that the current hangar at SLC-40 was too small for FH. Whether the current pad mods are for V1.1 only or for FH as well, is unclear. If FH is going to launch from SLC-40 I think it's certain that a new hangar will be needed (at least.)
Douglas Clark

Offline Ragmar

• Space is the Place
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #358 on: 02/27/2013 02:02 PM »
It looks like the 677kg up mass for Dragon does not include the Two Heat Rejection Subsystem Grapple Fixtures (HRSGFs) in Dragons trunk. Does anyone know their mass?

Good question.  I was going to include unpressurized up-mass in the chart, but couldn't find a reference.  (An old reference suggested 1278kg total up-mass for SpX-2, which suggests the HRSFG's are ~600kg, but no idea if that's accurate.)

Anyone?  And any reason those aren't listed on the manifest--or if they are, is there a code for deciphering the published manifest for pressurized vs. unpressurized?

Still no insight on the HRSGF mass question? It seems odd that the HRSGF images on the mission patches would be the only public appearance Dragon's first unpressurized cargo would make in the days immediately preceding launch

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 771
« Reply #359 on: 02/27/2013 02:24 PM »
It looks like the 677kg up mass for Dragon does not include the Two Heat Rejection Subsystem Grapple Fixtures (HRSGFs) in Dragons trunk. Does anyone know their mass?

Good question.  I was going to include unpressurized up-mass in the chart, but couldn't find a reference.  (An old reference suggested 1278kg total up-mass for SpX-2, which suggests the HRSFG's are ~600kg, but no idea if that's accurate.)

Anyone?  And any reason those aren't listed on the manifest--or if they are, is there a code for deciphering the published manifest for pressurized vs. unpressurized?

Still no insight on the HRSGF mass question? It seems odd that the HRSGF images on the mission patches would be the only public appearance Dragon's first unpressurized cargo would make in the days immediately preceding launch

On previous flights, there has been a camera on top of the F9US filming s/c separation.  If it works properly this time, we should get a clear view of the HRSGF in the trunk as SpX-CRS-2 moves clear of the launch vehicle.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Tags: