Author Topic: ISRO Mars Orbiter Mission - Nov 2013 launch to September 2014 arrival - UPDATES  (Read 436558 times)

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 154
Re: ISRO Mars Mission, PSLV C25, October 22, 2013
« Reply #80 on: 05/21/2013 07:42 AM »
Thanks. I have now corrected the planned launch date in the title of this thread.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1277
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #81 on: 05/23/2013 07:17 PM »
Thanks for those interesting articles Sanman. This is certainly an extraordinarily ambitious mission for them to attempt and you can only wish them the best of luck with it. 

Online sanman

• Liked: 459
  • Likes Given: 3

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #83 on: 06/14/2013 03:05 AM »

1) The integration of the spacecraft purse, comprising the structure and several sub-systems, including power systems, controlling systems, telemetry and command systems, has begun at the Isro Satellite Centre

2) This process is likely to take another four weeks, following which the integration of the payloads will commence. “We will move the satellite and the spacecraft to Sriharikota by September, from where it will be launched.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/338379/india039s-mars-mission-takes-shape.html
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

Offline antriksh

Re: PSLV C25, ISRO Mars Mission, October 22, 2013
« Reply #84 on: 06/26/2013 03:47 AM »
"Nasa is providing the deep space navigation and tracking support to this mission during the non-visible period of the Indian Deep Space Network," said a US state department announcement.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Nasa-to-partner-Isro-in-Indias-Mars-mission/articleshow/20769793.cms
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

Offline antriksh

Re: PSLV C25, ISRO Mars Mission, October 22, 2013
« Reply #85 on: 06/28/2013 06:54 PM »
Caution: high resolution
« Last Edit: 06/28/2013 06:58 PM by antriksh »
Nasadiya Sukta:

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 340
  • Likes Given: 154
Re: PSLV C25, ISRO Mars Mission, October 21, 2013
« Reply #86 on: 07/01/2013 07:12 PM »
I heard a tentative launch date of October 21 for PSLV C25 during the post-C22 launch speeches on July 1
« Last Edit: 07/01/2013 07:12 PM by input~2 »

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #87 on: 07/02/2013 12:11 AM »
Been following this a little, still amazed at how ambitious this is for India! As with others, I wish them the best of luck as someone told me Mars is a tricky place to get to;).
Clayton Birchenough
Astro. Engineer and Computational Mathematics @ ERAU

• ~ 1 AU
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #88 on: 07/02/2013 12:17 AM »
Also, a question on an observation I have made: will the orbiter have a single solar array or two? The first picture on the first page posted by sanman appears to have two solar arrays and then on page 6 antriksh posted a picture (mom1.jpg) and in it, it says power would be provided by one solar array. Is the first picture of the orbiter just wrong?

EDIT: Panel/Array confusion; my bad.
« Last Edit: 07/02/2013 03:19 AM by ClaytonBirchenough »
Clayton Birchenough

Offline antriksh

« Reply #89 on: 07/02/2013 02:53 AM »
Also, a question on an observation I have made: will the orbiter have a single solar array or two? The first picture on the first page posted by sanman appears to have two solar arrays and then on page 6 antriksh posted a picture (mom1.jpg) and in it, it says power would be provided by one solar array. Is the first picture of the orbiter just wrong?

Mars orbiter will have a single solar array of 3 solar panels. (MOM5.jpg)
Nasadiya Sukta:

• ~ 1 AU
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #90 on: 07/02/2013 03:20 AM »
Mars orbiter will have a single solar array of 3 solar panels. (MOM5.jpg)

Ahhhh thanks. Got my solar array and solar panels confused ::). Dumb me! :)
« Last Edit: 07/11/2013 05:27 PM by ClaytonBirchenough »
Clayton Birchenough

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 202
« Reply #91 on: 07/02/2013 05:09 PM »
Can someone expand the acronyms in the ISRO brochure picture below? I didn't get SPDM (in the context of the Solar Arrays), CASS, SPSS (I assume it's Solar Position Sensor ___ ?), LE (as in the 440 N thruster), and CCSDS, BDH, SSR, TTC (Telemetry and Telecommand?) in the context of communications...

Also, which one of those five pictured payloads can perform Plasma and current experiments? Or are they going to use the radio antennae to measure the electromagnetic environment local to the orbit? And why is the spectromer called "neutral"? Any mass-spec has to ionise the entering species (or use ionised species entering the aperture) in order to resolve them..

Btw, IIRC, we first had to raise the orbit, and even then lost Chandrayaan 1 earlier than scheduled because of some thermal issues right? Does anyone have a link to the official ISRO analysis report? AFAIK, Chandrayaan didn't have any active Thermal management systems - and that doesn't seem to have changed for Mangalyaan either. If our thermal modelling for the fairly unique, and highly elliptical orbit that our Mars orbiter is going to use is similarly off - as it was for the Lunar orbit, we're risking a premature shutdown here. Again.

Online sanman

« Reply #92 on: 07/02/2013 06:57 PM »
Can someone expand the acronyms in the ISRO brochure picture below? I didn't get SPDM (in the context of the Solar Arrays), CASS, SPSS (I assume it's Solar Position Sensor ___ ?), LE (as in the 440 N thruster), and CCSDS, BDH, SSR, TTC (Telemetry and Telecommand?) in the context of communications...

Also, which one of those five pictured payloads can perform Plasma and current experiments? Or are they going to use the radio antennae to measure the electromagnetic environment local to the orbit? And why is the spectromer called "neutral"? Any mass-spec has to ionise the entering species (or use ionised species entering the aperture) in order to resolve them..

Btw, IIRC, we first had to raise the orbit, and even then lost Chandrayaan 1 earlier than scheduled because of some thermal issues right? Does anyone have a link to the official ISRO analysis report? AFAIK, Chandrayaan didn't have any active Thermal management systems - and that doesn't seem to have changed for Mangalyaan either. If our thermal modelling for the fairly unique, and highly elliptical orbit that our Mars orbiter is going to use is similarly off - as it was for the Lunar orbit, we're risking a premature shutdown here. Again.

Somehow I don't think overheating will be an issue for a Mars orbiter, since it's a good deal farther from the Sun. Even though Mars has a higher albedo than our own Moon (.15 vs .12), the solar flux hitting the Moon is 1367.6 W/m^2 while for Mars it's 591.3 W/m^2, which is less than half.
Besides, the MOM will have a highly elliptical orbit, which only brings it to within 580km of Mars on its closest approach. That's much higher than Chandrayaan-1's 100km orbit.

Online sanman

« Reply #93 on: 07/03/2013 03:55 AM »
This is a Mars feature from Newsclick India from 10 months ago, which talks about NASA's Curiosity mission, and also about ISRO's planned Mars Orbiter Mission:

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 202
« Reply #94 on: 07/03/2013 06:49 AM »
Somehow I don't think overheating will be an issue for a Mars orbiter, since it's a good deal farther from the Sun. Even though Mars has a higher albedo than our own Moon (.15 vs .12), the solar flux hitting the Moon is 1367.6 W/m^2 while for Mars it's 591.3 W/m^2, which is less than half.
Besides, the MOM will have a highly elliptical orbit, which only brings it to within 580km of Mars on its closest approach. That's much higher than Chandrayaan-1's 100km orbit.

Here ( http://www.slideshare.net/IngesAerospace/2-spacecraft-thermal-environments - page 56) they model the temperature of a reference sphere (an isothermal, black body - I assume using Wein's displacement law) for a Mars orbital height of a tenth of the planet's radius (~386 km). With spatially varying albedo (polar ice caps etc.), as well as Mars' orbital eccentricity, the worst case range of instantaneous temperature (aka min-max), over a single orbit is found to span 111 K to 284 K: for an zero solar beta angle, at perihelion). Even at apphelion, the temperature range for the same orbit remains at around 150K, from the same minimum. And average temperature: ~200K. Numerically, that's a decent sized swing, centred around some electron-stopping cold. I don't know if this gets accentuated or attenuated in Mangalyaan's planned orbit.

I don't know if they've got any heat pipes, as they're also considered passive. But yeah, with the external 'temperatures' being low, they're relying exclusively on the heat of instrument operation to self-provide the environment they (and the reaction wheels) need. Which means that the spacecraft will have to be really well insulated. (cf, one of the non-special-purpose 741 has a 218 K lower temp limit). Also, what happens if they're required to turn off one of the instruments to prevent damage to it, or to prevent battery drain? Alternatively, can they operate all of them simultaneously without overheating? The mass-spec probably generates quite a bit when on. What's on my mind is that there's nothing dedicated to this function. Oh well..

Unless of course, they've designed and manufactured electronics that operates at similar external temperatures and don't need blankets. That'd be awesome - a scalable solution capable of doing away with the mass of these systems on future missions.

Online sanman

Offline antriksh

« Reply #96 on: 07/21/2013 11:16 AM »
Nasadiya Sukta:

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 329

Offline beidou

• Mars
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: PSLV C25, ISRO Mars Mission, October 21 - November 7, 2013
« Reply #98 on: 07/24/2013 04:09 PM »
An excellent book on Indian Mars Mission can be found here:
http://rd.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-81-322-1521-9/page/1

Very good material and it's freely accessible at this moment.

Online plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 6

Tags: