Author Topic: ISRO Mars Orbiter Mission - Nov 2013 launch to September 2014 arrival - UPDATES  (Read 453382 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: ISRO Mars Mission, PSLV C25, October 25, 2013
« Reply #60 on: 03/02/2013 09:23 AM »
I think its very unlikely that a comet will stop ISRO launching the probe. More likely are technical problems on the ground.

True. It's a very tight schedule they have set themselves, reminds me of the early days of Soviet interplanetary exploration.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 489
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #61 on: 03/02/2013 03:21 PM »
Well, like Tito & Co, they are racing to meet a planetary alignment deadline.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #62 on: 03/30/2013 03:51 AM »
Maybe flying to Mars is easier than I thought.....  :P

From Twitter some minutes ago:

Pradeep ‏@pradx
India's Mars orbiter payloads to be handed over to Bangalore tmrw for tests and integration. Spacecraft progressing per timeline.
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline sanman

« Reply #64 on: 04/08/2013 04:41 AM »
ISRO ponders delaying Mars mission over fears of comet:

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/1819996/report-dna-exclusive-comet-mars-isro-s-rs450cr-dream-mission

Well if the reporters aren't exaggerating (somehow I think they are though  ::)) then someone at ISRO needs to be fired for using bizzare reasons for delaying a mission, either for cover up of other schedule delays or not using common sense.
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #65 on: 04/10/2013 07:46 PM »

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/1819996/report-dna-exclusive-comet-mars-isro-s-rs450cr-dream-mission

Curious doesn't seem to bothering NASA or ESA and their craft.

« Reply #66 on: 04/11/2013 06:09 AM »

Well if the reporters aren't exaggerating (somehow I think they are though  ::)) then someone at ISRO needs to be fired for using bizzare reasons for delaying a mission, either for cover up of other schedule delays or not using common sense.

I took a look at the article - the reason given is hilarious: the methane sensor (one of the science instruments on board) may have recorded those CH4 et al. particles from the comet tail instead of Mars, thus contaiminating the data. Seriously - that's a problem!? That spacecraft may have the closest pass to the comet of all Mars orbiters - by far, and the Indians think that's an issue? They are actually in the prime position for gathering some data on the comet by luck.....

Can any experts on trace gas detection shed some light on the excuse?

Offline sanman

« Reply #68 on: 04/18/2013 03:24 AM »
Mars Orbiter on track, comet no deterrent: ISRO chief

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Mars-Orbiter-on-track-comet-no-deterrent-Isro-chief/articleshow/19606336.cms

Yeah, the explanation in the article above is lousy at best....

Wondering if it actually shows that the final testing is behind schedule a la Phobos Grunt in 2009.....  ::)

Offline sanman

« Reply #69 on: 04/18/2013 03:37 AM »
I don't know where you're going, man. If they've made an announcement, it's to quell speculation. The previous article that I posted before about the comet was itself just speculation, and not citing any named source at ISRO. That happens a lot in the Indian media - pretty routine.

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for November, and we'll see how things work out.

« Reply #70 on: 04/18/2013 03:44 AM »
I don't know where you're going, man. If they've made an announcement, it's to quell speculation. The previous article that I posted before about the comet was itself just speculation, and not citing any named source at ISRO. That happens a lot in the Indian media - pretty routine.

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for November, and we'll see how things work out.

Same here. Even from the science return perspective this mission may return some new information on Mars (methane trace gases), not to mention this may serve as a benchmark on the Indian ability to develop and operate complex spacecrafts.

BTW I have seen many names for the spacecraft - is the "Mangalyaan" moniker unofficial?

Offline sanman

« Reply #71 on: 04/18/2013 08:10 PM »
Haha, I think it depends on who one talks to.

In the wake of Chandrayaan ( "Chand" = Moon, "yaan" = chariot/craft), when the Mars mission was announced, then some watchers took to a similar naming convention ("Mangal" = Mars). So the nickname "Mangalyaan" was adopted.

But I think people at ISRO formally call it "Mars Orbiter Mission" (MOM).

But yeah, I think methane results would be useful to corroborate against what NASA will get from its latest MAVEN probe. Multiple sources of data are best.

It's too bad that ISRO won't be able to try another bistatic test with NASA, as was attempted between Chandrayaan and LRO (didn't work out due to Chandrayaan system failure under lunar-reflected radiation).
Bistatic radar response would be an excellent way to find water ice, due to its unique signature.

Oh well, hopefully some future missions will attempt this. In order to produce a detailed map of Martian ice.

Offline antriksh

• Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: ISRO Mars Mission, PSLV C25, November 27, 2013
« Reply #72 on: 04/22/2013 02:07 AM »
Nasadiya Sukta:
Srishti se pehle sat nahin thaa, asat bhi nahin | Antariksh bhi nahin, aakaash bhi nahin thaa | chhipaa thaa kyaa, kahaan, kisne dhakaa thaa | us pal to agam, atal jal bhi kahaan thaa ||

From: 1st verse of 129th Hymn of the 10th Book of Rig Veda

« Reply #73 on: 04/22/2013 04:19 PM »
IIRC, the November 27 date is actually the day the spacecraft should made its final TMI burn. Since it needs several burns to get it out of Earth's orbit, I suggest keeping the October date for the launch itself.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #74 on: 04/22/2013 04:47 PM »
IIRC, the November 27 date is actually the day the spacecraft should made its final TMI burn. Since it needs several burns to get it out of Earth's orbit, I suggest keeping the October date for the launch itself.

Quote from the Time of India article dated April 18:
The Mars Orbiter, set to be launched on November 27...

« Reply #75 on: 04/22/2013 04:51 PM »

Quote from the Time of India article dated April 18:
The Mars Orbiter, set to be launched on November 27...

Yeah I saw that one - but I specifically remember an earlier news report that gave the October 25 launch date with November 27 as the TMI burn date - you might check the earlier posts here for confirmation.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: 04/22/2013 07:25 PM »
I specifically remember an earlier news report that gave the October 25 launch date with November 27 as the TMI burn date
OK, let's try October again: an official from ISRO recently said that "the satellite is expected to exit the Earth orbit on November 26/27"

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator

Offline sanman

« Last Edit: 05/20/2013 05:51 PM by sanman »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 2884
  • Likes Given: 432
Re: ISRO Mars Mission, PSLV C25, November 2013
« Reply #79 on: 05/21/2013 07:08 AM »
Thanks Sanman! The article says the following about the launch date:

“We will have to launch the rocket on October 22, so that it can depart the Earth's orbit on November 26 and enter the Martian orbit on September 21, 2014.”
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Tags: