Author Topic: Commerical Lunar Lander  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Pastor Bill

• Central MA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Commerical Lunar Lander
« on: 06/07/2012 01:03 PM »
Hello Friends... have a question/thought... has there been discussion or proposals around a Lunar Lander being developed under COTS/CommericalCrew/etc. that could work w/ SLS/Orion? I did a forum search and found nothing about it.

The idea would be to have it developed and built by one of the commerical launch companies (e.g. Space X), launched on SLS and working with Orion in a LOR style configuration.

Could something like this save on development, time and operation costs, and provide a public/private incentive for all the camps to come together around a human lunar return program.

Thoughs, ideas and suggestions are welcome... thank you and God bless! Pastor Bill

Online Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 535
  • Likes Given: 608
Re: Commerical Lunar Lander
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2012 02:15 PM »
I don't think that anyone has run a specific thread on that subject.  The 'Altair Alternatives' thread on this forum has a lot of information in alternate ways to get to the lunar surface, including ways that could viably be developed by milestone-based payment competitive tendering.

FWIW, I suspect that commercial companies like Armadillo and Marsten are pretty much driving actual lander hardware development at the moment.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline simonbp

« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2012 05:46 PM »
The closest that I know is the Masten Xeus, which is a commercial take-off of the ULA DTAL lunar lander, and big enough to carry crew to and from the lunar surface.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/2012 04:35 AM »
Hello Friends... have a question/thought... has there been discussion or proposals around a Lunar Lander being developed under COTS/CommericalCrew/etc. that could work w/ SLS/Orion? I did a forum search and found nothing about it.

The idea would be to have it developed and built by one of the commerical launch companies (e.g. Space X), launched on SLS and working with Orion in a LOR style configuration.

Could something like this save on development, time and operation costs, and provide a public/private incentive for all the camps to come together around a human lunar return program.

Thoughs, ideas and suggestions are welcome... thank you and God bless! Pastor Bill
There was some talk about it.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/203082main_C3PO%20-TEC%20Briefing%20Nov_2007.pdf
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Tags: