Author Topic: Orbital's Cygnus debut mission to the ISS outlined  (Read 31766 times)

Online Chris Bergin

We required a SpaceX style mission overview. Obviously more details to be worked out, but via L2 I think we have a nice baseline to play with via this:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/06/orbitals-cygnus-debut-mission-iss-outlined/

Offline Harold KSC

• Liked: 5214
  • Likes Given: 37
Re: Orbital's Cygnus debut mission to the ISS outlined
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/2012 02:16 AM »
Very good article Chris! A few of my work colleges are hoping to move to Wallops to work on this vehicle, although they are finding it hard to find out who to apply to.

They'll enjoy this article too.

Offline Paul Howard

• Veteran
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2012 02:16 AM »
That's a GREAT read. This site's really transitioned so well into the other vehicles, as much as I liked the hat tip to Atlantis! :)

Offline RobbieCape

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: 06/05/2012 02:19 AM »
I liked this line....

The final phase of the mission – a reverse of the berthing procedures – is called the Descent & Reentry Operations Phase (DROPS), as Cygnus ends its life in a disposal corridor during entry, hopefully with a smile on its face, following a successful demonstration that paved the way for its siblings to each take a turn in providing full CRS operations, starting early in 2013.

I like how you give spacecraft human characteristics. Awesome article. Should be a lot of fun to follow.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: 06/05/2012 02:26 AM »
Looking forward to this mission.   :)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 06/05/2012 02:27 AM »
Thanks guys! :)

Harold: Tell them Orbital have been tweeting job positions, dozens a day. @OrbitalSciences - I think they are pretty new to twitter so don't have a lot of followers yet.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 838
  • Likes Given: 300
« Reply #6 on: 06/05/2012 02:34 AM »
Great article.  Will be interesting to see how Orbital/Tridar deals with the laser reflector on the JEM that Dragon reacted to, probably wont be too hard as SpaceX did it on the fly (literally)

I would love to have a look in the MCC-Dulles  8)
And this is a good reminder that just because one of your fellow space enthusiasts occasionally voices doubts about the SpaceX schedule announcements or is cautious about believing SpaceX has licked a problem before actually seeing proof that's true, it doesn't mean they hate SpaceX.

Online QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3652
  • Likes Given: 858
« Reply #7 on: 06/05/2012 03:34 AM »
While the mission may be similar, the test schedule is slightly accelerated, with Orbital first tasked with a debut flight of its new launch vehicle, the Antares – formerly known as Taurus II, to be then followed by a one-off full COTS level demonstration mission, not unlike SpaceX’s C2+ mission, tasking Cygnus with a single flight to prove its ability, prior to starting CRS operations proper.

That's two flights... which is exactly what SpaceX ended up doing under COTS. How is that accelerated? Especially considering that they're coming second...

I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline Go4TLI

• Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: 06/05/2012 03:39 AM »
While the mission may be similar, the test schedule is slightly accelerated, with Orbital first tasked with a debut flight of its new launch vehicle, the Antares – formerly known as Taurus II, to be then followed by a one-off full COTS level demonstration mission, not unlike SpaceX’s C2+ mission, tasking Cygnus with a single flight to prove its ability, prior to starting CRS operations proper.

That's two flights... which is exactly what SpaceX ended up doing under COTS. How is that accelerated? Especially considering that they're coming second...

An accelerated schedule from one flight to the next, as it clearly describes in the article and culminates in a hoped for docking to ISS this year.

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #9 on: 06/05/2012 03:43 AM »
Easy if you read the article.

SpaceX: C1, C2, C3, CRS-1. Was shortened to C1, C2+, CRS-1
Orbital: ORB-D, CRS-1.

The Antares test flight isn't one extra on that, as Falcon 9 flew without Dragon on its test flight.

Online QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #10 on: 06/05/2012 03:55 AM »

The Antares test flight isn't one extra on that, as Falcon 9 flew without Dragon on its test flight.

They're being paid for 2 flights under COTS, just like SpaceX.

If anything, their accelerated schedule has been slowed with the addition of a test flight to match SpaceX's accelerated schedule.

« Last Edit: 06/05/2012 04:30 AM by Andy USA »
I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline Go4TLI

• Liked: 95
« Reply #11 on: 06/05/2012 03:56 AM »

Nonsense.

They're being paid for 2 flights under COTS, just like SpaceX.

If anything, their accelerated schedule has been slowed with the addition of a test flight to match SpaceX's accelerated schedule.

This has nothing to do with SpaceX.  Please do not muddy and attempt to derail what was a very good article on Orbital's status.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2012 03:57 AM by Go4TLI »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 06/05/2012 03:58 AM »

The time scale for development has been much shorter, SpaceX was awarded a COTS development plan in 2006 and finished their COTS flights this year (2012, or about 6 years in between) Orbital was awarded the recompete after Kistler was kicked out in 2008, which was two years later. And yet OSC is projecting that they will fly their COTS mission only half a year after SpaceX, seems pretty accelerated to me....

Also, more than a year elapsed between COTS 1 and 2/3 for SpaceX, while OSC is slated to launch both demonstrations flights within months.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2012 03:58 AM by Ronsmytheiii »
And this is a good reminder that just because one of your fellow space enthusiasts occasionally voices doubts about the SpaceX schedule announcements or is cautious about believing SpaceX has licked a problem before actually seeing proof that's true, it doesn't mean they hate SpaceX.

Online QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #13 on: 06/05/2012 04:01 AM »
The time scale for development has been much shorter, SpaceX was awarded a COTS development plan in 2006 and finished their COTS flights this year (2012, or about 6 years in between) Orbital was awarded the recompete after Kistler was kicked out in 2008, which was two years later. And yet OSC is projecting that they will fly their COTS mission only half a year after SpaceX, seems pretty accelerated to me....

Yep, that's a reasonable explanation. Wish it had appeared in the article.

Also, more than a year elapsed between COTS 1 and 2/3 for SpaceX, while OSC is slated to launch both demonstrations flights within months.

Here's hoping they pull that off.

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #14 on: 06/05/2012 04:21 AM »
I am super excited about the Cygnus mission. 

I still think getting the STAR spacecraft bus up to a point where it is authorized to berth at the ISS is a huge deal.

I wish Orbital would make a bigger about the Star bus not ONLY being able to carry modified MPLMs.  Seems like one of the most fun legos you could ever ask for to do modifications to the ISS, or any spacecraft with berthing ability.

Star really is an amazing Bus
http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/Publications/GEO_Brochure.pdf
« Last Edit: 06/05/2012 04:25 AM by SpacexULA »
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #15 on: 06/05/2012 04:38 AM »
Full of info, thanks! Good to see they will be catching up a lot of ground with only the one demo flight for Cygnus, compared to the two for Dragon, before CRS-1.

I wonder if Antonio will turn up in a T-shirt on NASA TV saying he's "super, super hyped" about the mission, before being bear hugged by tearful Alan Lindenmoyer! ;D

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #16 on: 06/05/2012 11:56 AM »
Full of info, thanks! Good to see they will be catching up a lot of ground with only the one demo flight for Cygnus, compared to the two for Dragon, before CRS-1.

Oh wow, yeah - one Cygnus demo. That's less than two! I see what you did there! ;)

I wonder if Antonio will turn up in a T-shirt on NASA TV saying he's "super, super hyped" about the mission, before being bear hugged by tearful Alan Lindenmoyer! ;D

Surrounded by 100s of Orbital workers chanting his name! ;D

Offline jnc

• Yorktown, Virginia
    • Home page
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: 06/05/2012 12:48 PM »

Not to mention the hordes of rapturous acolytes here on NSF... ;D

Noel
"America Needs - Space to Grow"

(old bumper sticker)

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #18 on: 06/05/2012 01:19 PM »

Noel

And then he'd have to ban alcohol from Dulles.

Or maybe it already is.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #19 on: 06/05/2012 01:30 PM »
Great article.  Will be interesting to see how Orbital/Tridar deals with the laser reflector on the JEM that Dragon reacted to, probably wont be too hard as SpaceX did it on the fly (literally)

I think that Cygnus will actually use the reflector on the JEM, since it uses the JAXA PROX system for ISS rendezvous. I'll check...

Great article, BTW!
« Last Edit: 06/05/2012 01:30 PM by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #20 on: 06/05/2012 02:33 PM »

Noel

And then he'd have to ban alcohol from Dulles.

Or maybe it already is.

Since Cygnus has that "beer keg" look, perhaps we should ask Antonio which craft beer we should be drinking when the first mission finally launches and the Cygnus is berthed to the ISS.

Online Jorge

« Reply #21 on: 06/05/2012 04:13 PM »

I think that Cygnus will actually use the reflector on the JEM, since it uses the JAXA PROX system for ISS rendezvous. I'll check...

Great article, BTW!

PROX is an RF-based system; it doesn't use the reflectors. HTV's RVS lidar used the reflectors, but Cygnus isn't using that - they're using TriDAR.
JRF

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1000
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #22 on: 06/05/2012 04:16 PM »
Since Cygnus has that "beer keg" look, perhaps we should ask Antonio which craft beer we should be drinking when the first mission finally launches and the Cygnus is berthed to the ISS.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=15457.msg665742#msg665742

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #23 on: 06/05/2012 05:02 PM »

And the Fish Finder found me a local source for Dog Fish. I'm ready for the Cygnus party.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5458
  • Likes Given: 1789
« Reply #24 on: 06/05/2012 05:20 PM »
I wish Orbital would make a bigger about the Star bus not ONLY being able to carry modified MPLMs.  Seems like one of the most fun legos you could ever ask for to do modifications to the ISS, or any spacecraft with berthing ability.

If anything, the cargo module on Cygnus can not be classified as a modified MPLM. Not even close. It it constructed using the same basic techniques as the MPLMs, but the design is all-new and very different from the MPLMs.

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #25 on: 06/05/2012 05:52 PM »

Nah, beer and Kool-Aid don't mix very well... ;)

On topic: I'm looking for more "packaged" (i.e. pdf) info on this COTS flight.  Nothing as elaborate as a "very very early" Press Kit.  But something a bit more along those lines.  (I have some older brochure material, but I'm looking for something more COTS-y).

Offline Gary NASA

• KSC
  • Liked: 1712
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #26 on: 06/05/2012 06:13 PM »

On topic: I'm looking for more "packaged" (i.e. pdf) info on this COTS flight.  Nothing as elaborate as a "very very early" Press Kit.  But something a bit more along those lines.  (I have some older brochure material, but I'm looking for something more COTS-y).

This article isn't based on press kits, it's based on presentations acquired by L2. So if you have L2, click here for the Cygnus L2 menu.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags&tags=Cygnus

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #27 on: 06/05/2012 08:53 PM »

And the Fish Finder found me a local source for Dog Fish. I'm ready for the Cygnus party.

I strongly recommend their Midas Touch.

Offline mdmcgrory

• SWIFT Fan
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #28 on: 06/06/2012 07:14 AM »
Super informative article Chris, great job! Crossing my fingers and hoping to watch in person the MARS spaceport in VA launch missions early and often to the ISS into 2028 and beyond! Go Cygnus!
Let's not celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Lunar Landing in a conference room on Earth!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #29 on: 06/06/2012 02:37 PM »
Super informative article Chris, great job! Crossing my fingers and hoping to watch in person the MARS spaceport in VA launch missions early and often to the ISS into 2028 and beyond! Go Cygnus!

Thanks! :)

And there's a point about viewing the launch. There should be a lot of interest in this, likely breaking Wallops records.

Offline happyflower

• Earth
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #30 on: 06/06/2012 07:21 PM »
So the article states that Cyguns will be at the ISS for 30 days. Is that more or less than the Progress craft? Is that enough time to fill it with trash? What if there is not enough trash to fill the Cygnus but its time at the ISS is over, will it leave unfilled?

Can Cygnus (or Dragon; dont mean to go off topic) be able to carry fuel to the ISS, or do an orbital burn to adjust ISS orbit? Things that Progress can do.

Thanks.

Offline rklaehn

• telemetry plumber
  • germany
    • www.heavens-above.com
  • Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #31 on: 06/06/2012 07:31 PM »
Can Cygnus (or Dragon; dont mean to go off topic) be able to carry fuel to the ISS, or do an orbital burn to adjust ISS orbit? Things that Progress can do.

I am pretty sure that neither cygnus nor dragon can transfer fuel to the station. Fuel transfer is done to the russian segment, and cygnus and dragon are being berthed to the american segment.

Also, they are not being berthed in the right place to change the orbit of the station. They are being berthed on the side of a module that is at the end of the station, so the thrust of the main thrusters of cygnus would not go through the center of gravity of the station.

You could probably move the PMA2 somewhere else to free a berthing port that is on the longitudal axis of the station.
Try the ISS 3D visualization at http://www.heavens-above.com/ISS_3D.aspx

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #32 on: 06/06/2012 09:04 PM »
So the article states that Cyguns will be at the ISS for 30 days. Is that more or less than the Progress craft? Is that enough time to fill it with trash? What if there is not enough trash to fill the Cygnus but its time at the ISS is over, will it leave unfilled?

Thanks.

30 days is much less than typical Progress stays - which can last as long as six months. 30 days should be enough time to load Cygnus with trash  - NASA will make sure the crew's schedule allows for completion of trash loading.

Cygnus cannot transfer fuel to ISS since that can only be done with the Russian docking system, while Cygnus uses the CBM. Also, Cygnus cannot reboost ISS since it berths to ISS off-axis and far away from its center of mass - so if Cygnus fired its engines while attached to ISS, it would cause ISS to enter a spin.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #33 on: 06/13/2012 03:03 PM »

Thanks.

so if Cygnus fired its engines while attached to ISS, it would cause ISS to enter a spin.

Ohhh artificial gravity test.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: 06/14/2012 11:30 AM »
From Aviation week in regards to the VASMIR launch:

The notional launch target has slipped a year and remains vulnerable to NASA budgeting and the future of the station’s status as a national laboratory. While Ad Astra has not committed to a launch provider, Orbital Sciences Corp. appears to provide the best match.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_06_06_2012_p0-465042.xml&p=2

VASMIR will be an external cargo, does this mean that one launch of Cygnus is confirmed to be the external cargo only version?

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #35 on: 06/14/2012 02:19 PM »
No, I think Aviation Week is wrong (as so often) and SpaceX will notionally fly VASIMR.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1124
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #36 on: 06/14/2012 02:25 PM »
Hmm...  Tim Glover (VP for Development) from Ad Astra Rocket Company corrected some of the article in the comments.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline mdmcgrory

• SWIFT Fan
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #37 on: 06/17/2012 01:49 PM »
Is there some reason that the cargo ships that dock to the USOS part of the station don't stick around that long. I mean the crew can spend months of time filling up Progress and ATV's with trash, but the Dragon was only docked for a week (granted it was a test flight), Cygnus is going for only a month, and the H-2 which is operational did more than a month, but the devastating earthquake in Japan had something to do with that.It seems like it's a month long spacecraft.

Are the CBM mounted cargo ships deemed too delicate to be be a 4-6 month storage and waste modules attached to the main complex because of MMOD or are they not getting enough power, or is their re-entry fuel suspect over time. Because I would think, if they are human rated to be open to the ISS for a couple weeks, they should be able to be used as storage modules until undocking and re-entry like the Progress and ATV? Is there some kind of beta angle cutoff problem I'm missing? Might be a stupid question. Just seems like perfectly good ships that could add some much needed volume at times.
Let's not celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Lunar Landing in a conference room on Earth!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8585
  • Likes Given: 5600
« Reply #38 on: 06/17/2012 10:00 PM »
Well, the port will be very busy, with Cygnus, Dragon, and HTV... There will be a new Vv every couple months or even less.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 5458
  • Likes Given: 1789
« Reply #39 on: 11/15/2012 06:57 AM »
Coming back to this thread...

Looks like the debut mission of Cygnus to ISS will be delayed as a result of the recent HTV abort.

http://www.spacepolicyonline.com/news/spacex-and-nasa-still-determining-reasons-for-falcon-9-engine-failure\

As the briefing continued it became clear that a delay might be needed in any case because of an unresolved problem that arose when Japan's HTV cargo spacecraft was released from the ISS.   The HTV automatically aborted the release when it detected an "off-nominal trajectory" resulting from friction between the grapple fixture and Canadarm2 that caused Canadarm2 to pull HTV as it was trying to back away.  Suffredini said they are still investigating what happened.  SpaceX uses a different configuration, so it is not issue for the next Dragon flight, he said, but Cygnus uses the same configuration as HTV and "we need to sort it out before Cygnus flies."

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #40 on: 11/16/2012 01:39 PM »
SpaceX uses a different configuration, so it is not issue for the next Dragon flight, he said, but Cygnus uses the same configuration as HTV and "we need to sort it out before Cygnus flies."

Hmm - not sure what they're saying here. Dragon, Cygnus, and HTV all use grapple fixtures (Dragon/HTV = FRGF, Cygnus = PDGF), which are grappled and released by the SSRMS in exactly the same way.

Maybe they mean a different configuration of abort software?

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #41 on: 11/18/2012 01:06 PM »
Hmm - not sure what they're saying here. Dragon, Cygnus, and HTV all use grapple fixtures (Dragon/HTV = FRGF, Cygnus = PDGF), which are grappled and released by the SSRMS in exactly the same way.

Maybe they mean a different configuration of abort software?

And I have an answer to this - it's all to do with the position between the SSRMS LEE and the vehicle - for Dragon it is directly above, meaning the SSRMS does not need to back away, however for Cygnus & HTV it is at an angle, which means the SSRMS does need to back away and thus can cause friction, leading to potential drifting as seen with HTV-3.

From http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/707197main_Suffredini_ISS_NAC_20121114.pdf
« Last Edit: 11/18/2012 01:07 PM by Space Pete »

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 293
  • Likes Given: 756
« Reply #42 on: 03/27/2013 06:05 PM »
http://www.orbital.com/Antares-Cygnus/

Space Station Cargo Loaded in to Cargo Module at Wallops

March 2013

Orbital's Cygnus Cargo team recently loaded cargo into the COTS Demonstration Pressurized Cargo Module (PCM) in advance of the COTS Demonstration Flight. The cargo fr om NASA arrived at Wallops Flight Facility building H-100 by truck from Houston Texas on March 19th and was accepted by the Cygnus team that evening. The cargo was then unpacked, weighed, measured and inspected to ensure that the cargo successfully survived the trip. The cargo was then loaded into the Pressurized Cargo Module starting on March 22nd and completing on March 23rd. A total of 1235 lbs of cargo (560 kg) was loaded into the Cygnus. In addition, the Cygnus team configured the interior of the module for flight. The PCM is now ready to be mated to the Service Module when it arrives at H-100 on March26th.
An additional 376 lbs of cargo (171 kg) will be added to Cygnus once it is mated to the Antares rocket just prior to launch.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #43 on: 03/27/2013 06:07 PM »

First Cygnus Service Module Shipped to Wallops

March 2013

On March 26th 2013, the Orbital Sciences Cygnus team shipped the Service Module (SM) for the COTS Demonstration mission from Orbital's Satellite Manufacturing Facility to Building H-100 at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility (WFF). The SM, encased in a protective shipping container, made the approximately 200 mile trip by truck to the H-100 facility high bay, wh ere the trailer was dropped off. The Cygnus integration and test team will carefully remove the SM from the shipping container, inspect the SM for any damage from the trip, and begin launch site processing. In early April, the SM will be mated to the Cygnus Pressurized Cargo Module (PCM), which was loaded with cargo and configured for flight on March 23rd. The complete Cygnus spacecraft will then be transferred from H-100 to building V-55 at WFF for hypergolic propellant loading. Once fueled, the Cygnus will be ready for integration on the Antares rocket.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #44 on: 04/14/2013 05:52 PM »
Can the solar arrays on a standard Cygnus be rotated?
« Last Edit: 04/14/2013 05:57 PM by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: 04/14/2013 08:20 PM »
Cygnus Integration Begins at Wallops Flight Facility

April 2013

Orbital has unpacked the Cygnus Service Module (SM) (pictured in the foreground below) from its transfer trailer and has begun launch site integration testing following its journey from Orbital's Satellite Manufacturing Facility in Dulles VA. The Cygnus SM and its Pressurized Cargo Module (PCM)(background) are now both located in Building H-100 at the Wallops Flight Facility. Orbital is planning to mate the cargo-loaded PCM to the SM early in the week of April 1st.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #46 on: 04/14/2013 08:21 PM »
COTS Demo Cygnus Spacecraft Mated at Wallops

April 2013

The COTS Demonstration Cygnus spacecraft completed a significant milestone on Tuesday, April 2, when its Pressurized Cargo Module (PCM) was attached to the Service Module (SM), and all mechanical flight connections were attached. The PCM was recently loaded with cargo, and was reoriented from the horizontal to the vertical to facilitate the attachment. The vertically oriented PCM was then lifted and precisely relocated over the SM by Orbital engineers and technicians.
After connecting electrical harnesses, the now completed Cygnus will perform a final set of tests to ensure proper functioning of the combined PCM/SM systems. After completion of the testing, the Cygnus will be prepared for transportation to the fueling facility.

Online russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 1244
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #47 on: 04/14/2013 08:35 PM »
Can the solar arrays on a standard Cygnus be rotated?
AFAIK, at least in early design phase, the answer is No. Otherwise I have no clue except that I think starting on third flight ATK's Solar arrays intended for Orion SM are to be used. Exact information is somewhere on Orbitals website.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #48 on: 04/24/2013 09:07 AM »
Cygnus Spacecraft Fueled at Wallops Flight Facility

April 2013

– While all eyes have been on Antares in the recent weeks, our Cygnus spacecraft has achieved many significant firsts as it prepares for its maiden voyage to the International Space Station. After initial cargo installation at Wallops Flight Facility building H-100 and the first-time mating of the Cygnus Service and Cargo Modules, Cygnus completed its next milestone by completing its Launch-Site Integrated Systems Test and its transfer fr om the Wallops Main Base to the Wallops Fueling Facility, on Wallops Island, just north of the Antares launch site.

For the transfer, the Cygnus was loaded into the Cygnus Vertical Carrier (CVC). Because Cygnus was using the main road through the town of Atlantic, Virginia, the transfer was conducted at midnight, when road traffic would be minimal. Local residents did come out to watch Cygnus’ historic trip, which gave a festive air to a technical activity. Total travel time was a little less than 3 hours, with speeds averaging between five and seven miles per hour. Cygnus was delivered to the hypergolic fueling facility at building V-55, early on the morning of April 13th, where preparations immediately began for the fueling.

Because Cygnus uses hypergolic propellants, Orbital loads the fuel on one day, and then the oxidizer several days later. Since both fuel an oxidizer are poisonous, our Orbital personnel must wear special personal protective equipment while working with the propellants in the event of a leak in the facility. In the following pictures, Orbital personnel are “suited up” in SCAPE suits for the fuel loading. SCAPE stands for “Self-Contained Atmospheric Protective Ensemble,” and the suits look very much like an astronaut’s space suit. Fueling is monitored by engineering and safety personnel in building V-50, located nearby to V-55. Personnel in V-50 used a series of closed circuit TV cameras to monitor activities during the propellant loading process. Fuel loading occurred on April 15th, with oxidizer loading occurring on April 19th. Now fully fueled, Cygnus will be returned to the CVC for transfer from V-55 to the Horizontal Integration Facility, wh ere it will wait for integration onto the Antares for the COTS Demonstration mission to the space station.

Offline jnc

• Yorktown, Virginia
    • Home page
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #49 on: 04/24/2013 12:09 PM »
our Cygnus spacecraft has achieved many significant firsts as it prepares for its maiden voyage to the International Space Station

I hope this flight won't see as many delays as the initial Antares one! (Yes, yes, I know a lot of them were down to the launch site, and not Orbital's fault, but still...) I can't wait to see them start launching these things on a very regular basis (and I guess they have some catching up to do, if they are to meet the contract).

Noel
"America Needs - Space to Grow"

(old bumper sticker)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 7720
  • Likes Given: 5561
« Reply #50 on: 04/24/2013 03:29 PM »
Having to do two transfers on that vertical carrier (through town, and late at night to impact traffic less) seems like it might be inefficient... no way to fuel in the HIF I guess?

How tall is it? Do they have to get a flag escort? Raise powerlines?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 787
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #51 on: 05/01/2013 06:40 PM »
The demo flight to the ISS has been delayed (it was until recently listed as NET June 15)

Date posted: 2013-05-01
Mission: COTS OSC Demo-1
Change: Launch date is 9/28/2013
Source: SCNS HSF Supervisor Melissa Blizzard 5/1/2013

http://msdb.gsfc.nasa.gov/change_log.php

Note that CRS/OSC-01 previously listed as NET September 12 is now showing as "TBD"

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 465

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
« Reply #53 on: 05/04/2013 09:24 PM »
The demo flight to the ISS has been delayed (it was until recently listed as NET June 15)

Date posted: 2013-05-01
Mission: COTS OSC Demo-1
Change: Launch date is 9/28/2013
Source: SCNS HSF Supervisor Melissa Blizzard 5/1/2013

Note that CRS/OSC-01 previously listed as NET September 12 is now showing as "TBD"
Changes:
2013-05-01   COTS OSC Demo-1   Launch date is TBA.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11259
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #54 on: 05/04/2013 09:43 PM »
I wish people stop using MSDB as a source.  It is secondary at best and mostly tertiary.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #55 on: 05/04/2013 09:49 PM »
I wish people stop using MSDB as a source.  It is secondary at best and mostly tertiary.

The delay to 28/9 was first confirmed on L2 prior to appearing on MSDB.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 787
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #56 on: 05/06/2013 04:25 PM »
Excerpt from Orbital Cygnus Update thread:

Antares Post-Flight Analysis Results - Flawless Launch Confirmed; Company Updates COTS Demonstration Mission Schedule
May 2013
[...]
With the Antares Test Flight successfully completed, Orbital's Antares and Cygnus teams are now focused on the Demonstration Mission to the International Space Station (ISS), the final milestone in the COTS joint program with NASA. Orbital currently expects to be ready to carry out the Demonstration Mission in August. Orbital is swapping out one first stage AJ26 main engine for another unit that is already fully tested in order to further inspect and confirm a seal is functioning properly. The company expects the engine change-out process to add about three to four weeks to the schedule. In addition, missions to the ISS must be carefully scheduled with NASA to fit into the pre-planned traffic pattern at the orbiting laboratory. A Japanese cargo ship, the HTV, is also scheduled for a mission to the ISS in August. If the HTV schedule slips, Orbital expects to be ready to go in August. If the HTV holds its schedule, Orbital's Demonstration Mission could be planned for September.
[...]

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #57 on: 05/06/2013 04:34 PM »
All of the AJ-26 engines have already been test fired at Stennis.

Is this potential seal problem something that they identified after some of the engines were already tested, kind of like that corrosion problem that didn't show up until after 3 engines were already tested ?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #58 on: 05/06/2013 04:34 PM »
I'll get an article written today and then we'll create the set of new threads for this.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #59 on: 05/06/2013 05:55 PM »
"The company expects the engine change-out process to add about three to four weeks to the schedule."

It only delayed the SpaceX COTS 2 flight by three days.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Online JBF

• Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 704
« Reply #60 on: 05/06/2013 06:15 PM »
"The company expects the engine change-out process to add about three to four weeks to the schedule."

SpaceX only had to change out a check valve, not an entire engine.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #61 on: 05/06/2013 09:19 PM »
Long article covering all the bases:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/05/cygnus-mission-iss-moving-september/

New threads to be set up shortly.

Offline catdlr

• Viewed launches since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 2199
  • Likes Given: 1552
« Reply #62 on: 05/06/2013 11:14 PM »
Great article Chris.  Very informative and clear.  Lot's of coverage on Obital's challenges and put's the fleet's scheduling and activities into perspective concerning the tight schedule this year.

Tony D.
Tony De La Rosa

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #63 on: 05/06/2013 11:36 PM »
Thanks Tony! Really appreciate that! :)

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #64 on: 05/07/2013 10:08 AM »

SpaceX only had to change out a check valve, not an entire engine.
After looking back it appears you are correct.

Tags: