Author Topic: Behind the scenes with Big Bang Theory's real-life astronaut actor  (Read 13567 times)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• Liked: 21
  • A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
It actually looks like in the first four episodes of the next season of TBBT, Howard will still be on the ISS.  The fourth episode is "The Re-entry Minimization".  This raises the interesting prospect of Howard's appearances being by simulated video-link from a mock-up of the interior of one of the station's modules.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Liked: 2
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
Bernadette is the hottest woman on BBT. I mean, Penny is great and all, but Bernadette has brains, wit, and... 2 other great reasons.

I can't believe I just did that.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • Liked: 42
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
...And her real voice is not that squeaky, either! The big glasses she wears for her character hides her amazing eyes. Have a Google around for interviews with Melissa Rauch and you'll see what I mean.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
Oh yeah I saw her on Letterman, it's crazy. Her impression of Howard's mom is great too.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Liked: 8
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
Space for rent: How 'The Big Bang Theory' sent Howard Wolowitz to space
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-100412a.html

Howard Wolowitz is still in space.

The fictional aerospace engineer and Expedition 31 crew member was seen floating aboard the International Space Station (ISS) during last week's season premiere of the CBS hit television series "The Big Bang Theory." On this week's episode, airing tonight (Oct. 4), Wolowitz is still off the planet, 250 miles up.

Of course, he is not really on the space station. The real ISS Expedition 31 ended in July. Wolowitz, or rather actor Simon Helberg, was on a sound stage at the Warner Bros. studio lot in Burbank, Calif.

Includes an exclusive look and the details behind the fictional Expedition 31 mission patch created for the show's crew of Howard Wolowitz, astronaut Mike Massimino and (fictional) cosmonaut Dimitri Rezinov (actor Pasha Lychnikoff).

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• Liked: 21
  • A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
So, Destiny, Columbus or Kibo?  From the look of the module end, I'd say probably Columbus.

Oh, goodness! I've just marked myself as a Space Geek! ;D
« Last Edit: 10/04/2012 12:44 PM by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline cneth

• Liked: 0

Are you bragging, or complaining? :-) 

I had the same thoughts when I saw it.   I really thought they did a good job, looking forward to tonight's episode.

Offline Space Pete

• NASASpaceflight ISS Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 51
  • Mr. ISS
  • UK
So, Destiny, Columbus or Kibo?  From the look of the module end, I'd say probably Columbus.

I was thinking the same, although the Columbus endcone isn't blue - only the Lab and JPM are.

Some evidence is that the rack in view is the Human Research Facility-1 (HRF-1) rack, located at Columbus Forward 4, meaning the view in question would indeed show the Columbus starboard endcone (although I don't think they actually intended for it to represent any particular module).

That's actually a pretty good representation of the ISS - the cargo under the bungees and the random cabling make it look "lived in", as opposed to the very clinical looking representations we usually see. I wonder if they had any NASA help in constructing it?
« Last Edit: 10/04/2012 03:46 PM by Space Pete »
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
I wonder if they had any NASA help in constructing it?

As noted in the article, the station module was rented from WonderWorks, but all the cabling, bungees and other items stuck to the wall were the result of the set decorator, Ann Shea, watching NASA-provided video of the station and trying to match what she saw to items she could find.

"I collected things that looked like what was in the actual space station," Shea told collectSPACE.com. "I watched the video of the station probably 20 times, trying to pick out all these different things and there were so many surprises in the stuff you saw attached to the walls with velcro so they wouldn't float around."

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
How are they doing the zero-g-like floating?

Edit: No spoilers please, haven't watched last night's episode yet :)
« Last Edit: 10/05/2012 01:21 PM by elmarko »

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
How are they doing the zero-g-like floating?

From our article:

Part of that was made possible by the way they achieved the appearance of weightlessness. Rather than raise the roof and suspend the actors by wires, the solution came from below.

"It was done by supporting the people from underneath," Shaffner revealed.

Further details, without spoilers, here

Online Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 1458
Space for rent: How 'The Big Bang Theory' sent Howard Wolowitz to space
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-100412a.html

Howard Wolowitz is still in space.

The fictional aerospace engineer and Expedition 31 crew member was seen floating aboard the International Space Station (ISS) during last week's season premiere of the CBS hit television series "The Big Bang Theory." On this week's episode, airing tonight (Oct. 4), Wolowitz is still off the planet, 250 miles up.

Of course, he is not really on the space station. The real ISS Expedition 31 ended in July. Wolowitz, or rather actor Simon Helberg, was on a sound stage at the Warner Bros. studio lot in Burbank, Calif.

Includes an exclusive look and the details behind the fictional Expedition 31 mission patch created for the show's crew of Howard Wolowitz, astronaut Mike Massimino and (fictional) cosmonaut Dimitri Rezinov (actor Pasha Lychnikoff).

Very cool. It's so well done and it has to be good PR for the ISS.

Offline Lars_J

• Liked: 277
  • California
Yep, they do a surprisingly good job of making it look like an ISS.

And here is another vote for Bernadette over Penny. :)
(They go through quite the effort to try to make Melissa Rauch look less attractive than Kaley Cuoco in the show)
« Last Edit: 10/11/2012 10:16 PM by Lars_J »

Online Chris Bergin

• NSF Managing Editor
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 1458
I see Mass is getting his cameos!

Offline elmarko

• Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
Ahaha Howard wanting to see some gravity was brilliant