Author Topic: ISS Able View Tiangong-1 ?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 6
ISS Able View Tiangong-1 ?
« on: 10/05/2011 02:03 PM »
The ISS and Tiangong-1 unmanned Chinese space module "pass" each other at around 10:15 UTC on 8th October 2011 when both will be traversing the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Japan. I have estimated that they will be somewhere between 1200 to 2000 kilometres apart ?

Tiangong-1 would be about 336.3 km altitude and ISS at 386.86 km at the time.

Will the ISS crew be able to view the Tiangong-1 module ?

Can other members check this please as this was a 'quick estimate' using current TLEs in satellite tracking programs ?

A-P
UK

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: ISS Able View Tiangong-1 ?
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2011 08:59 PM »
These two images show the 'near flyby'pass on Saturday 8th October 2011

A-P

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6927
  • Likes Given: 4888
Re: ISS Able View Tiangong-1 ?
« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2011 11:26 PM »
These two images show the 'near flyby'pass on Saturday 8th October 2011

A-P
There's got to be a time eventually where they pass much closer than that. Also, unless the time is near sun-rise or sun-set (but still night at the surface), it may be pretty difficult to spot Tiangong-1 from ISS. It should be far easier to see ISS from Tiangong-1 (heck, I can see ISS from my house... with a telephoto lens, I can even see details). But it's not likely to be too clear of a picture unless you use a very large lens, even if they pass within 100km.

I calculate, assuming the eye's angular resolution of about .02 degrees, that at 100km distance, you should be able to see the rough shape of ISS from Tiangong-1, but you're not likely to see much more than a dot if you look at Tiangong-1 from ISS. Unless, of course, you use a large lens (binoculars, telephoto lens).
« Last Edit: 10/07/2011 11:29 PM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: