Author Topic: Orbitalís Cygnus preparing for the opening salvo to regain US independence  (Read 25804 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/08/orbitals-cygnus-preparing-to-regain-us-independence/

Now you may be thinking "Hang on Chris, this isn't some exclusive L2 acquired news we've come to expect from this site" and you'd be right.

However, this is a milestone which should be reported (as much as you'll of seen the pressers and as much as I worked this into a standalone article). It also provides us with a baseline reference article, as the good folks at Orbital have agreed to work with us on content :)

So you can expect some excellent coverage on Orbital from this point onwards.

Chris = very happy with Orbital today :)

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 792
  • Likes Given: 294
Orbital and Cygnus really dont get enough attention, and deserve the quality press work from this site regardless.  Just happy to see Virginia is getting into the big time for space access.
And this is a good reminder that just because one of your fellow space enthusiasts occasionally voices doubts about the SpaceX schedule announcements or is cautious about believing SpaceX has licked a problem before actually seeing proof that's true, it doesn't mean they hate SpaceX.

Offline RyanC

• SA-506 Launch
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 9
Hyperbolic title anyone? It's not re-gaining US independence if the launch vehicle uses NK-33/43.

Offline mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 168
Opening salvo? What about Falcon 9 and Dragon?
We will be vic-toooooo-ri-ous!!!

Offline Chris Bergin

Hyperbolic title anyone? It's not re-gaining US independence if the launch vehicle uses NK-33/43.

NASA contract with a US commercial company. The title also represents the "opening salvo" towards that goal, which is why COTS, CRS and CCDEV are all referenced.

Yep, they are part of the salvo, as referenced three times in the article.

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 39
Great article and header image - hadn't seen it before. The title made me visualize a Cygnus flying to the Battle of Brandywine to punish the British Redcoats.

Offline Norm Hartnett

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 2
Great article and header image - hadn't seen it before. The title made me visualize a Cygnus flying to the Battle of Brandywine to punish the British Redcoats.

Oh, not a good analogy.

"The battle, which was a decisive victory for the British, left Philadelphia, the revolutionary capital, undefended."
ďYou canít take a traditional approach and expect anything but the traditional results, which has been broken budgets and not fielding any flight hardware.Ē Mike Gold - Apollo, STS, CxP; those that don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it: SLS.

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 72

NASA contract with a US commercial company. The title also represents the "opening salvo" towards that goal, which is why COTS, CRS and CCDEV are all referenced.

Yep, they are part of the salvo, as referenced three times in the article.

"preparing to join" would have been more accurate title

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2768
  • Likes Given: 7223
How similar are the fairings being used to the last two failures both with hot/cold gas separation. I donít think we know the root cause yet do we? They all looked really stunned at the press conferenceÖ
Regards
Robert
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator, Vintage auto racer

Offline Downix

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
How similar are the fairings being used to the last two failures both with hot/cold gas separation. I donít think we know the root cause yet do we? They all looked really stunned at the press conferenceÖ
Regards
Robert

Simple, they're not.  The Taurus II uses a new fairing, produced by a different company.

http://www.aascworld.com/Taurus_II/service--1211796061/program.html
« Last Edit: 08/26/2011 12:53 AM by Downix »
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline Rocket Science

Regards
Robert

Simple, they're not.  The Taurus II uses a new fairing, produced by a different company.

Thanks Nate,
Well thatís one way around the problem I hope. Would be still nice to learn something from those two failures.  I donít want to see another presser like that last one, felt bad for those guysÖ and we need reliable cargo to station in light of what is going on now. Fingers crossedÖ
Regards
Robert

Offline Downix

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
Regards
Robert

Thanks Nate,
Well thatís one way around the problem I hope. Would be still nice to learn something from those two failures.  I donít want to see another presser like that last one, felt bad for those guysÖ and we need reliable cargo to station in light of what is going on now. Fingers crossedÖ
Regards
Robert

If you go to the address on that page you'd also see that this company is making the shroud for the Orion as well.

As for what's happened, whatever it is, the Minotaur has yet to be effected, which makes it even more curious.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline Rocket Science

Regards
Robert

Thanks Nate,
Regards
Robert

If you go to the address on that page you'd also see that this company is making the shroud for the Orion as well.

As for what's happened, whatever it is, the Minotaur has yet to be effected, which makes it even more curious.
All I can say is donít call the Russian priest who blessed ďtheirĒ last launchÖ. Didnít work out so well for them ::)

Offline Chris Bergin

Great article and header image - hadn't seen it before.

Thanks! And here's a better res image. I screenshot it out of their cool video:

http://www.orbital.com/video/CygnusMissionOverview/video.html

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 9
Thanks for the article Chris. Good to see the no nonsense Orbital are doing well. I say no nonsense compared to the "other guys" ;)

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
The fairing itself isn't relevant.  The problems seem to be in the part that holds it together when it's supposed to be together and separates when it's supposed to be apart.  Fairing manufacturers don't make those.  They either come from ordnance or metal suppliers.

As for T2/Cygnus, I'm honestly very concerned that the program will survive the direct hit from Irene at Wallops.
« Last Edit: 08/26/2011 04:18 AM by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 462
The PCM was unloaded from the Antonov An-26

I think it came over on an AN-124

The Thales press release says AN 24, but I believe they meant AN-124

AN-24/26 are relatively small.

Kudos to NSF on being so prolific lately.

Online HMXHMX

• Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 320
The fairing itself isn't relevant.  The problems seem to be in the part that holds it together when it's supposed to be together and separates when it's supposed to be apart.  Fairing manufacturers don't make those.  They either come from ordnance or metal suppliers.

As for T2/Cygnus, I'm honestly very concerned that the program will survive the direct hit from Irene at Wallops.

A very real concern.  The NWS Interactive Storm Surge program shows 10-20 ft surge 2-4 miles inland.  As I recall, the assembly hall is about 11 ft above sea level, and Sunday is high tide, too.

There are two first stages, one second stage (I think) and a Cygnus at risk.

Offline Lewis007

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 87
A video and some pix of the Cygnus arrival at Wallops
Source: http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/cygnus-arrives.html

Offline Chris Bergin

The PCM was unloaded from the Antonov An-26

I think it came over on an AN-124

The Thales press release says AN 24, but I believe they meant AN-124

AN-24/26 are relatively small.

Kudos to NSF on being so prolific lately.

Thanks very much! I'll check into the plane.

Tags: